Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the annoying things about the original Aero wheels was that there was only a couple of weeks when you could actually order them. You don't need to be Steven Hawking to figure out that they won't sell if they can't be ordered. And then when they were offered in the accessory store, they were ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: David99
One of the annoying things about the original Aero wheels was that there was only a couple of weeks when you could actually order them. You don't need to be Steven Hawking to figure out that they won't sell if they can't be ordered. And then when they were offered in the accessory store, they were ridiculously expensive.
"There is no demand for it" is an excuse I've heard for many an amazing product that was totally within existing engineering and manufacturing capabilities, to simply not be made. A product or variety being totally awesome and doable is not it trigger unless a petition is signed by thousands of prior buyers and handed over in view off assembled press. And even then...
Could we ever get a straight answer from Tesla on their lacklustre wheel offerings?

Could you not use a thin gasket material to stop the scratching and make a hole to access the tire valve? You can get valve extensions if needed.

I had lots of that kind of material between the rims and disks. It helped, but it would still scratch as the dirt and rain would push in between the gap with great force when you go at high speeds. The guys who made the disks even said, don't be surprised when you hear noises, wheels felx a lot. We tried a lot of things to make them stable and fixed, but there are lots of forces on the wheels. I really wanted to make it work and I spent a lot of time on trying to make it work, but eventually I had to realize it's not going to work as a permanent solution. The only way it would work is an actual rim that is designed to optimize aerodynamics at the wheels.

The problem is that everyone thinks car owners would not buy a closed, disk type rim. There literally thousands of rims available and all go for the open, almost see through look. So no one wants to be the one making something else. But the positive reactions and feedback I got all the time I parked my car from people convinced me that there is a market for a different look!

I think Toyota did a decent job on their Prius Aero wheel. The black area gives the affect of it being open.
2016-Toyota-Prius-Four-Touring-side-profile-in-motion-01.jpg

I drive 5000 miles with my closed disks and the difference in range and energy usage is significant. The faster you go, the higher the effect. At 65 mph they added 5% range, at 85 mph the difference was around 8%. I've driven from LA to Minneapolis 4 times and the last time I had the disks on. The energy usage difference was very noticeable.

The reason I had to take them off is that having disks on the wheels causes different problems. Not at all heat. Mostly it was noise and the two materials scratching against each other (rim and disk). No access to the valve is also a negative. I really wish Tesla would make an actual aero wheel that looks decent. I got a lot of very positive feedback for the clean look of the disks. People loved the look. I think not only is there a market for it, it also increases range quite a bit.

David,
Yes this has been my results also. The faster you go the more your gain. A few months ago I took my longest trip with my Aero covers to Southern Ca. from Norhten Ca. This was with four adults in the car and I could keep the watt per mile to just under 300 at 69-70 mph.
I have not noticed any noise from them. This may be because of the sponge tape I used to mount them and the fact that I have five individual inserts, each secured with tape and safety wire.

Jeff

I had lots of that kind of material between the rims and disks. It helped, but it would still scratch as the dirt and rain would push in between the gap with great force when you go at high speeds. The guys who made the disks even said, don't be surprised when you hear noises, wheels felx a lot. We tried a lot of things to make them stable and fixed, but there are lots of forces on the wheels. I really wanted to make it work and I spent a lot of time on trying to make it work, but eventually I had to realize it's not going to work as a permanent solution. The only way it would work is an actual rim that is designed to optimize aerodynamics at the wheels.

The problem is that everyone thinks car owners would not buy a closed, disk type rim. There literally thousands of rims available and all go for the open, almost see through look. So no one wants to be the one making something else. But the positive reactions and feedback I got all the time I parked my car from people convinced me that there is a market for a different look!

David,
I have an idea to quiet your covers down. Use nylon edge trim. It will slide without making noise. Plus It will minimize scuffing of the rim. This is from McMaster.
Push On—Style 7
8721k42l1-j06s.png
7/64" __ 17/64" 15/64" 21/64" __ MDS-Filled Nylon
8721K12 1.11 .85
1/8" __ 17/64" 15/64" 21/64" __ Nylon
8721K52 1.78 1.28

Reactions: David99
What about a vinyl wheel wrap where you don't cut out the areas between spokes? Look on YouTube for vinyl wrap wheels and seems like this would be an easier solution than attaching a piece of plastic or metal.

Airflow in and around the wheel wells as well as through the wheels is very conplex, and the pressure differential from one side of an aero cover to the other is probably too much for a thin, flexible material that's basically adhered to the wheel.

They would probably blow out the first time you got on the freeway.

It's not a bad idea, just not the right product. Something that would cure stiffer might be an option.

Are we at active rims yet? Wheels that open and close depending on brake temperature?

With free supercharging and since I don't need more range 5% will not make me change anything. 10% would get me putting on full moon caps for trips. Bolt on moons would be easy to do with the Lexani's as they are very flat near the tire.