Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aerospace Journalists - Content, Coverage, and Viewers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nikxice

Oct 31, 2014
Hudson, NH
I've noticed on the forum the last couple of years there's more discussion of individual aerospace journalists, especially those that present interesting in-depth articles and video regarding SpaceX.
When I'm searching for news about SpaceX, I'm certainly more likely to click on a story written by Eric Berger versus "Express" from the UK. I won't link it, but here's the latest from them.

SpaceX launch mystery: NASA video feed CUTS OUT seconds after sighting of UFO closing in
SPACEX latched 58 satellites into space on Saturday as part of its historic Starlink mission - but a mysterious sighting of UFOs during the live NASA stream on the rocket sent social media into meltdown
By OLI SMITH
PUBLISHED: 12:48, Sun, Jun 14, 2020 | UPDATED: 19:35, Sun, Jun 14, 2020

Then there are those individuals who strive to provide honest coverage. Today we often also see content available using non-traditional platforms. In 2020 journalists certainly receive more feedback than ever before. A double edged sword, whereas the audience often provides added insight or thoughtful criticism, but of course there's always few people who get off on being rude or sarcastic.

I don't always watch "Everyday Astronaut", but I do respect Tim's knowledge and enthusiasm. Perhaps more so when I just read how he recently dealt with an internet bully.
upload_2020-6-15_11-36-13.png

https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/status/1271897339330990081

When the aerospace media so inspires, contribute thoughts!

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut) isn't everyone's cup of tea - I prefer Scott Manley - but obviously he's doing something right and has a decent sized audience. Scoring GOOD interviews with Brindenstine and Musk is a coup that few journalists have accomplished.

It was pretty funny watching "professional" journalists try to do segments from their own homes during the lockdowns. They honestly think that a cheap webcam microphone is as good as, well, anything else. They do segments from inside with an exterior window as a background. They obviously don't know how to comb their own hair. The list goes on.

So while people like Tim Dodd and Scott Manley don't go crazy with production, they do get the basics right making their videos very watchable. And they obviously know more about what they are reporting on than any "regular" journalist, on the air or in print (with the exception of Eric Berger, but then he's really a blogger on a large blogging platform).

We are definitely witnessing the changing of the guard from old media to new media, and its all for the good.

Reactions: Grendal and EinSV
Tim Dodd gets more responses from Elon than anyone else because of his enthusiasm for Space and Rockets. As far as official reporters go, Eric Berger and the people at NASASpaceflight are outstanding. Space News gets very good general aerospace information with Jeff Foust and Caleb Henry.

Scott Manley for simplified explanations of what is happening with rockets and aerospace.

I'm certainly more likely to click on a story written by Eric Berger versus "Express" from the UK.
Clicking on a link to a story on the Express website sets a pretty low bar...

Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut) isn't everyone's cup of tea - I prefer Scott Manley
Both those guys do good work, in their own style.

Scott Manley for simplified explanations of what is happening with rockets and aerospace.
I'm always amazed at how Scott is able to spot and explain details. His engineering background certainly must help. I often wonder how he's able to extrapolate information without many obvious visual clues. A recent example is his YouTube video about the inside of the F9 payload fairings.

Christian Davenport with The Washington Post is another solid reporter. Along with Eric Berger he can stir things up when it comes to NASA budgets and politics.
Eric reminds me of an old school beat reporter. It's possible he more has sources in the Space industry than anyone else. He always seems to be working, found that he'll promptly respond to an email. Eric is excellent at quickly piecing together a story that engages the reader.

I searched to find out if NBC's Jay Barbree had reported on the DM-2 launch. Jay is well known for having witnessed every manned spaceflight launched from American soil, beginning with Alan Shepard's suborbital Mercury capsule flight in 1961. Almost unbelievable, all 166 of them.. Alas, it looks as though his era has passed. It seems unlikely that no other reporter will ever again bare witness to that many consecutive non-commercial manned rocket launches.