Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affordable, Lightweight 19" Forged Wheels for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm after improving my range and would like to look into replacing the factory 20" rims with 19" non-staggered lightweight, forged wheels. I like the idea of the non-staggered setup, as I could potentially keep a spare tire in the trunk, but more importantly I'm after lightweight wheels for improved efficiency and range.

Is anyone familiar with any 19" wheels that have a load rating of about 2000lbs per wheel (as the X is between 6500-6800 lbs)? I know forged wheels can be quite expensive, but I figured this would be my best bet for a solid load rating-to-weight ratio. Ideally I'd like to keep the cost to $2000-$3000 for a set of 4, or less. Thank you.

I really like the BC forged 20" I got for my S $3k+ ship& tax, a bit less for 19" wheels. ~4-6 weeks made to order (on front car)
19" forgestar in back flow formed/ not cast(~$1,800?) 20" ended up 23lb I think (53lb w/ RE71R 255mm tires), Forgestars were a bit lighter - 47 lb w/ the same width tires

I was hoping the BCs would be lighter but they are really nice

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 175
I've also been searching for lightweight wheels too, but in 20" and/or 21". I'm conflicted with looks/function. I love the look of larger wheels, and the 21 would be a compromise going directly from 20 to 22.

A lot oh wheels are not load rated to our X, and maybe even 19s may have less options. Most manufacturers I contacted have the 2000lb load rating, but only with their 21 or 22 sizes. Best bet for more affordable lightweight is flow/rotary forged wheel in a style you like. Lightest affordable wheel i found was the 21x10.5" TSW Bathurst, weighs about 28lbs, and cost about 1300 for a set.

One of the issues you will run into non-staggered is that you will have trouble finding a tire which is in the right load range for the rear, unless of course you err on the wide side for the front, which will create its own issues and be counter to your stated goal of better mileage.