Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affording a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much truth in this..... The only thing I'd say is that nobody, coming from the ICE market can be sure that they would not use AP 99% of the time. It just does not make sense as it's a technology that grows on you. Especially the traffic aware cruise control part... Congrats on the deal and as much as I love the new technology, I'm becoming one of those that jump on the curve a little later to save money (and to avoid early problems with technology)!
Markk993 and gabeincal, well said by both of you. Mark993, it sounds like you got a sweet deal. Congrats. It seems like a perfect fit for you. Awesome.

Living in New England I really wanted AWD, as that was my primary initial need. Plus my work schedule can change rapidly, so I wanted a car with high range. I usually buy pre owned autos, and have never purchased a new car (until my 100D). But the pre owned inventory out there for AWD Model S cars was sparse and in my opinion pretty expensive. Thus, the spread between a brand spanking new loaded up 100D and a pre owned AWD such as a 90D, had "only" a 15K - 18K difference when accounting for federal and state tax credits and rebates. At least that was the case when I looked. And since I typically own cars for well over 100K miles, I did the unusual for me and went brand new. I figured the 335 miles range on the 100D would (and has) reduced my range anxiety. Plus starting with a brand new car, hopefully I'd get an extra 2 -3 years on the car versus pre owned. Time will tell! I'm happy with the current and sweet tech, but I know it'll be behind as time goes on. But I don't really care, I tend not to need the latest and greatest phones or TVs as technology changes, so hopefully that will be the case with my 100D. Regardless, we're all fortunate to be driving sweet rides. Makes getting to places much more enjoyable.

• Love
Reactions: gabeincal
Scoopa,

I understand the need for AWD in New England for sure. But there are a ton of other AWD options IMHO. Sure 90Ds are not easy to come by but there are some 85Ds out there as well with a range of about 270 miles that are selling in the mid to low 70s... I understand range anxiety and all of that but 270 miles seems like it would be enough for anyone's daily need even when you consider the real mileage when you have the heater cranked up on a cold New England morning. Assuming your car was in the low 100Ks it seems like you paid about 30K (after tax credit) based on maybe 50 more miles of range. And then there is the hit on depreciation like I said earlier.

At the end of the day you are right. If you keep the car for 10 years it doesn't really matter. And yes you are likely to get a couple more years out of a newer car than one that is 2 years old assuming all goes well of course. You are by no means the norm when it comes to buying and selling cars because most people don't do more than 4 years or so. I also think that few of us will want to keep a car past the 8 year battery warranty. So your choice works for you as mine worked for me.

Lastly, i am no financial planner by any means but I am CHEAP!! And since this thread is called "Affording a Tesla" I feel like the best advice would be to figure out what you can comfortably afford and get the best, newest, nicest Tesla that fits your needs. It seems the approach here is to look for way to cut costs in other areas to justify a higher payment. We are all creatures of habit so you can start out eating out less but eventually we go back to what we like to do and savings on things like the phone and cable should be just that... additional savings... Saving money in some areas just to spend it in other areas does not make a lot of sense to me personally.

I also noticed a few comments about people putting down substantial down payments to get a monthly payment that they can feel better about. (or that they can tell their wife about LOL ) I don't quite understand this logic as well. With Tesla and Alliant interest rates as low as 1.49% why would you take money out of savings at all. It is practically free money so keep yourself as liquid as possible or invest in something that has a return. The guy who took an additional 15K from his savings probably reduced his payment by about $200. That 15K will take more than 6 years to recoup!! even longer if it was invested in something with even a nominal return.

People shopping for a Tesla, take your time and do your research (read my previous post). Maybe a new car is right for you or maybe a CPO or private sale used car is the way to go. For me, 2014 P85+ cars like mine are selling today for what I paid 15 months ago. I don't know that many Tesla owners can make that claim.

Reactions: b team
...I also noticed a few comments about people putting down substantial down payments to get a monthly payment that they can feel better about. (or that they can tell their wife about LOL ) I don't quite understand this logic as well. With Tesla and Alliant interest rates as low as 1.49% why would you take money out of savings at all. It is practically free money so keep yourself as liquid as possible or invest in something that has a return. The guy who took an additional 15K from his savings probably reduced his payment by about $200. That 15K will take more than 6 years to recoup!! even longer if it was invested in something with even a nominal return...
This! I'm paying a bit more — 2.9% — since it was a used car and I have a microscopic income, but the investments I'd have to sell to pay off the car loan earn more than that. Doesn't make sense to pay down the loan and it would reduce liquidity.

This! I'm paying a bit more — 2.9% — since it was a used car and I have a microscopic income, but the investments I'd have to sell to pay off the car loan earn more than that. Doesn't make sense to pay down the loan and it would reduce liquidity.

I won't disagree with these concepts as they are a personal decision. The math works out as long as the returns are coming. But it falls flat when the market takes a dump. My approach is that I do not want to owe anybody money, especially for a depreciating asset. We survived 2008 just fine, as many of us did. However, there are a lot of people that lost a lot (cars, homes, etc.) because they were over-financed because they could "afford" a monthly payment.

When deciding to purchase a large item I put a lot of weight into evaluating the cash cost to help decide if we truly want to make the purchase or not. If I am not comfortable writing the check then I do not feel I can afford the purchase or truly want the item. To be clear, I fully believe these calculations and decisions are personal and I don't fault anybody for doing what makes sense for their situation. That said, think about this question: If i offered you a $50,000 loan for 2.9% that you must invest in the stock market, would you take it? (Yes, I realize there are capital gains taxes to pay on investments you would sell to fund a cash purchase and yes I realize there is an entire industry that does this exact thing, but I want to simplify down to personal finance).

Good discussion.

Reactions: Canuck
I'm curious what your normal rates are?

I calculated our per kWh rate using the total bill and kWh usage. The total bill includes all the "fees" and crap added on by Xcel and local government (Bloomington), etc. So our kWh cost is higher than the published rate because, well, we pay more than just the straight cost of electricity.
My most recent entry in the log looks like this:
Date: 6/14/2017
kWh used: 972
Bill: $128.37
Days in cycle: 30
kWh/day: 32.40000
Price per kWh $0.1321

Over the last 2 years (all the data I have) the calculated price per kWh has been between $0.1208 (May/June 2015) and $0.1542 (Sept./Oct. 2016)

JC..

.I get your point completely and to answer your question, with the volatility of the stock market these days the 2.9% example could go either way for sure. However, i would take you up on that deal at 1.49% which is what Tesla was offering just recently and what I based my initial comments on. Even if your ROI is less than the 1.49% (say 1%) in a more secure investment, isn't that still an offset of sorts and still a better deal.. It is only not a better deal if there is an actual loss.

that being said even if you did not invest the 15K in my example would it not be better to keep the cash from a liquidity standpoint alone. Theoretically you could put it in a separate bank account and apply $200 a month from that account to your payment each month if you wanted to and you still have liquidity options.

I also agree with your desire to not owe on a depreciating asset. I overpay my car notes on a regular basis and apply the excess to principal. often times this gets me done 6 months to a year earlier than the actual term and I can decide on a month to month basis if i want to add the extra amount. I guess I like to keep options open for me personally. For example I would rather have a 30 year mortgage, pay an extra payment each year and pay off in 11-12 years than to just do a 15 year mortgage. (I know others may not agree with that)

my original premise was more about buying a car your can afford vs. "figuring out" how to afford a car you "Want" and if depreciating assets are a significant concern why would you ever buy any new car where you will take on the brunt of that depreciation.

To each their own I suppose but I feel like i am driving the same (or better) car many people on the forum are and i paid 50-60 K less than they did (and I paid no sales tax) because someone else owned it for the first 18-24 months...

thanks for listening..

JC..

.I get your point completely and to answer your question, with the volatility of the stock market these days the 2.9% example could go either way for sure. However, i would take you up on that deal at 1.49% which is what Tesla was offering just recently and what I based my initial comments on. Even if your ROI is less than the 1.49% (say 1%) in a more secure investment, isn't that still an offset of sorts and still a better deal.. It is only not a better deal if there is an actual loss.

that being said even if you did not invest the 15K in my example would it not be better to keep the cash from a liquidity standpoint alone. Theoretically you could put it in a separate bank account and apply $200 a month from that account to your payment each month if you wanted to and you still have liquidity options.
<snip>

I hear ya. Another important point is that you have thought this stuff through and try to maintain coverage in liquidity so you can pay off the debt in short order if the need arises. Liquid asset amount is another very personal thing. The size of a comfortable "emergency" fund is very subjective and for us has changed dramatically over time (kids do that, ya know :) ).

Even at 1.49% vs 1% we're still paying a convenience fee for liquidity :) Sure, its a cheaper "fee" than 2.9%. And, as you mention, this is only predictable if there is no loss on the investment. As soon as there is a loss the "fee" shoots up. One thing I have thought about, in general and not car specific, is that I am guaranteed to have to pay back a loan. No matter my financial/income situation, the bank still needs a check every month. I am more comfortable without that over my head and any theoretical future investment gains (or losses!) are inconsequential in my equation, because I am not a very good fortune teller. I suppose I could be considered a half glass empty kind of guy in this arena because I put more weight in future protection and comfort.

Balancing what one can afford with what they want is a great thought for people to chew on and I agree. Sometimes wants win out, and that's ok as long as the decision doesn't leave someone in financial unrest. I, too, fall in the used car camp to let others eat the depreciation. Model 3 will be an exercise in restraint, though! Because I believe the benefits of the car from an environmental and cultural perspective combined with the tax credit (even partial) may help soften, or even justify, the depreciation blow.. for us.. and because the purchase will not leave us in an uncomfortable financial situation.

I hear all too often people say "$7500 tax credit is great, it let me buy more than I was going to!". I don't consider the credit when optioning the car, I consider it a cost reducer versus an option expander.

All good stuff, happy to listen and chat about this stuff. I do really enjoy hearing how people make decisions and work this stuff out. There's no such thing as TMI on this topic, we all get to learn a lot of different perspectives.

I calculated our per kWh rate using the total bill and kWh usage. The total bill includes all the "fees" and crap added on by Xcel and local government (Bloomington), etc. So our kWh cost is higher than the published rate because, well, we pay more than just the straight cost of electricity.
My most recent entry in the log looks like this:
Date: 6/14/2017
kWh used: 972
Bill: $128.37
Days in cycle: 30
kWh/day: 32.40000
Price per kWh $0.1321

Over the last 2 years (all the data I have) the calculated price per kWh has been between $0.1208 (May/June 2015) and $0.1542 (Sept./Oct. 2016)

Do any of those fees vary with the usage aside from the per kWh rate? I was only considering the standard rates vs off-peak rates + meter cost, ignoring other fees because I assumed those would remain the same. I didn't expect to be getting an estimate of the total bill, just the difference between the two potential bills.

Do any of those fees vary with the usage aside from the per kWh rate? I was only considering the standard rates vs off-peak rates + meter cost, ignoring other fees because I assumed those would remain the same. I didn't expect to be getting an estimate of the total bill, just the difference between the two potential bills.

There are several variable components of my bill and some fixed. See photo, all things in yellow are variable from one bill to another. This is why I used the total bill to calculate my true $/kWh cost.
upload_2017-7-31_10-16-51.png

Hello All,

I just took receipt of my 2017 silver metallic Model S 100D. This is my first Tesla, and my first electric car. I appreciate all of your posts, as information I gathered here was instrumental in my design of the car, as well as taking the plunge and going electric. I love this car!

One of the things I wanted to get a dialogue going on from you all is affording a Tesla. As we all know, there are more expensive cars we can purchase than Teslas, but these certainly aren't cheap cars. I wanted to hear some of your all thoughts for any financial budgeting adjustments, portfolio liquidations, additional income created, etc to purchase your Tesla. Below is my story. Hope it is helpful to some of you on the fence. I know I'm only two weeks into Tesla ownership, but I don't regret it for a moment.

So me being a financial planner by profession, I'm always interested in the finances of things. I'd never bought a new car before, typically opting for low mileage pre owned cars from brands that were highly rated for reliability, which for me ended up being mostly Lexus vehicles. Those were fine, until I test drove a new Tesla Model S at a colleague's suggestion. Ugh. My IS250 just wasn't that exciting any more. I thus began researching the Tesla car designs and the corresponding monthly payments (couldn't justifiably pay cash without sacrificing other goals, plus 1.49% is a low interest rate hurdle to hopefully overcome on my investments). I discovered I could swing the monthly payments, but just because I could didn't mean I should. I needed more info.

Shortly thereafter, while in chats with the Tesla sales guy in Boston, who was very helpful, he told me that the average first time Tesla buyer had previously never spent more than $40K on a car. Not sure if that's an official number, and certainly doesn't apply to everyone, but that was encouraging, because I fell into that boat. I also went online to study Tesla financial demographics, and I stumbled into a great survey on Teslarati.

According to the survey the average annual income for Model S purchasers was $267K, Model X purchasers was significantly higher at $503K, and Model S reservation holders at $160K. Good to know. At least I had a benchmark.

Finally, I wanted to see if I could adjust monthly cash flow to purchase a Tesla with minimal interruption to other financial goals (still max out 401k, pump money into kid's college savings plans, keep adequate slush fund, acquire investment real estate, etc). In short, I didn't want to drive a sweet car at the expense of where my kids would potentially go to college. Thus, I went through my budget, discovered I was spending an unconscionable amount of money on groceries and dining, as well as too high of a cable bill. My wife and I candidly now go to Whole Foods way less (almost never), are more conscientious about how often and where we dine out, and I beat up my cable company. This has freed up a good $800-$900/mo. Not enough for a Model S 100D monthly payment, but pretty close if I put a little down, which I did via trade in and deposit. Bottom line is that I'm now only $300-$400/mo more out of pocket than I was before I adjusted cash flow ($1,200/mo total car payment). And now I own a Model S. Pretty sweet!

The federal tax credit of $7,500 will help at tax time, and I just got approved today from the state of MA to get a rebate check for $1K. Not too shabby.

It also helped to get a referral code from a buddy of mine who has a Model S, as this saved $1,000, as well as get me free supercharging for as long as I own the vehicle. Score!

That's it for now. Let me know if any of you have any exciting stories to share or thoughts about making the car happen. Happy driving!
What I read here is - "My wife's discretionary consumption has been reduced so I can drive a very expensive car." Lemme know how that works out several years from now he he he. j/k enjoy the ride - it never gets old!

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and b team
What I read here is - "My wife's discretionary consumption has been reduced so I can drive a very expensive car." Lemme know how that works out several years from now he he he. j/k enjoy the ride - it never gets old!
Ha! Well, the Mrs' car is getting a wee bit old. Time to likely replace the old Lexus RX 400h. We've got a reservation on a 3, and being S owners, we are reasonably far up the line, but worried the 3 will be too small for a family of four. Wish the Y was here. While it's a sweet car, the X isn't for us for a variety of reasons. Might need to figure out a bridge car till the Y comes out, and we can then evaluate if that is as awesome as we all hope.

Scoopa,

I understand the need for AWD in New England for sure. But there are a ton of other AWD options IMHO. Sure 90Ds are not easy to come by but there are some 85Ds out there as well with a range of about 270 miles that are selling in the mid to low 70s... I understand range anxiety and all of that but 270 miles seems like it would be enough for anyone's daily need even when you consider the real mileage when you have the heater cranked up on a cold New England morning. Assuming your car was in the low 100Ks it seems like you paid about 30K (after tax credit) based on maybe 50 more miles of range. And then there is the hit on depreciation like I said earlier.

At the end of the day you are right. If you keep the car for 10 years it doesn't really matter. And yes you are likely to get a couple more years out of a newer car than one that is 2 years old assuming all goes well of course. You are by no means the norm when it comes to buying and selling cars because most people don't do more than 4 years or so. I also think that few of us will want to keep a car past the 8 year battery warranty. So your choice works for you as mine worked for me.

Lastly, i am no financial planner by any means but I am CHEAP!! And since this thread is called "Affording a Tesla" I feel like the best advice would be to figure out what you can comfortably afford and get the best, newest, nicest Tesla that fits your needs. It seems the approach here is to look for way to cut costs in other areas to justify a higher payment. We are all creatures of habit so you can start out eating out less but eventually we go back to what we like to do and savings on things like the phone and cable should be just that... additional savings... Saving money in some areas just to spend it in other areas does not make a lot of sense to me personally.

I also noticed a few comments about people putting down substantial down payments to get a monthly payment that they can feel better about. (or that they can tell their wife about LOL ) I don't quite understand this logic as well. With Tesla and Alliant interest rates as low as 1.49% why would you take money out of savings at all. It is practically free money so keep yourself as liquid as possible or invest in something that has a return. The guy who took an additional 15K from his savings probably reduced his payment by about $200. That 15K will take more than 6 years to recoup!! even longer if it was invested in something with even a nominal return.

People shopping for a Tesla, take your time and do your research (read my previous post). Maybe a new car is right for you or maybe a CPO or private sale used car is the way to go. For me, 2014 P85+ cars like mine are selling today for what I paid 15 months ago. I don't know that many Tesla owners can make that claim.
I think we both probably made the right call for ourselves and our own situations. No regrets on my end, and it sounds like none on yours! No doubt that CPO is a better value than new, but I've never bought a new car before, and when I was looking there were no CPO AWDs for less than $80K or so. After tax credit, and since I wanted AP2 and 300+ mile range (which now having lived with the car is likely more than I need), I felt for me and my needs the extra $18K spread was worth it, since like you said above it's only a couple hundred bucks a month ($261/mo for me). So I made the executive decision that I would be willing to pay the extra, right or wrong, hoping I'd get a couple of years on the back end. Though, in full disclosure, after I put my order in I did see a 2013 CPO P85 with 37K miles for $47K that I almost cancelled my new order for. Enjoy your P85+. We're all lucky to be driving these fun cars!

Just to say one more thing: I'm quite frugal, and have been over the last decade or so. I can tell you I spent 628 USD on groceries in June 2010, because I maintain a spreadsheet with all my costs and income.

I dropped cable for Netflix a couple of years ago, which meant I could also avoid a ~350 USD annual television tax too. We only shop at the cheapest grocery stores, and I have no expensive vices. I spend almost nothing on clothing. We don't eat out more than ~6 times per year. For the past few year, I've been able to save 10-30% of my annual (pre-tax) income. And I'm certainly not rich. I currently make ~70k USD per year, and I support my wife through college. (That's not as bad as it sounds though, as college is free, here.)

Over the past ~7 years I've grown my net worth from zero to over 300k USD, and the Model X is my reward. :)

Just wanted to say it's great to hear a post from someone in a similar situation... I think about my decision to get an S repeatedly, especially when I read posts about average income of S and X buyers, as I make about $80k USD when all is said and done. I've given up the idea of financing a home (I'm perfectly happy renting) and gave up many other luxuries, but none of that matters when I sit in the seat. My first year of ownership hit 30,000 miles in the car and every one of them was a blast.

• Love
Reactions: Scoopa
Similar thing happened here Scoopa.

My wife and I sat down to look at our expenses. We have started going out to eat significantly less, cut down on alcohol purchases and when meeting friends we opt for affordable beer instead of cocktails. As a result, I have significantly more money going into savings and my wife won't use the car purchase against me :).

As far as Gas savings goes.... I don't see that as a benefit. Gas is so cheap right now that it will only amount to $400/year. We have opted for the Austin EV360 program which gains us unlimited charging at all Austin public chargers and nighttime charging at home for $30/month. This program also subsidized 50% of the upfront charger installer costs.

I don't like to hold debt so have set a target of borrowing $40k for the vehicle. I didn't realize it would take upwards of 3 months to receive the vehicle, so I'm already looking at shrinking the borrowed amount due to more cash coming in every other week. Personally, I have never spent more than $13k on a car, so this purchase is bonkers.

I don't see this as an investment or even a smart purchase. It is entirely an ideological purchase. I have never enjoyed cars, much less buying a car. They are built from day one with antiquated software, cheap technology, and hide significant costs that most people ignore (insurance, gas, trips to mechanic). I was shocked to find I spend nearly $1k/year on gas when I drive very little. The purchase is mostly ideological. Going into a Tesla store only to be talked out of some unnecessary options, then going online to order it was a dream. Watching my car that has not even gone into production yet already be eclipsed by new standard features is just amazing.I am very impressed that this cadence is possible from a tiny tiny car manufacturer. A tiny manufacturer who is also in the forefront of fighting both dealership monopolies (Texas Dealership) and Koch oil & gas.

I believe this is the last car we will ever own as a family. If I'm wrong, the next car will not be sold based on a hard sell from somebody working on commission.

Reactions: b team
Congrats on your purchase Drew... tell us what you chose.

I am still not in the "new car" camp based on my multiple reasons above... but to each their own I guess.

I guess i should have read the post title more carefully it is "Affording a Tesla" not "Affordable Teslas" LOL

Good luck and welcome to the Tesla community

Similar thing happened here Scoopa.

My wife and I sat down to look at our expenses. We have started going out to eat significantly less, cut down on alcohol purchases and when meeting friends we opt for affordable beer instead of cocktails. As a result, I have significantly more money going into savings and my wife won't use the car purchase against me :).

As far as Gas savings goes.... I don't see that as a benefit. Gas is so cheap right now that it will only amount to $400/year. We have opted for the Austin EV360 program which gains us unlimited charging at all Austin public chargers and nighttime charging at home for $30/month. This program also subsidized 50% of the upfront charger installer costs.

I don't like to hold debt so have set a target of borrowing $40k for the vehicle. I didn't realize it would take upwards of 3 months to receive the vehicle, so I'm already looking at shrinking the borrowed amount due to more cash coming in every other week. Personally, I have never spent more than $13k on a car, so this purchase is bonkers.

I don't see this as an investment or even a smart purchase. It is entirely an ideological purchase. I have never enjoyed cars, much less buying a car. They are built from day one with antiquated software, cheap technology, and hide significant costs that most people ignore (insurance, gas, trips to mechanic). I was shocked to find I spend nearly $1k/year on gas when I drive very little. The purchase is mostly ideological. Going into a Tesla store only to be talked out of some unnecessary options, then going online to order it was a dream. Watching my car that has not even gone into production yet already be eclipsed by new standard features is just amazing.I am very impressed that this cadence is possible from a tiny tiny car manufacturer. A tiny manufacturer who is also in the forefront of fighting both dealership monopolies (Texas Dealership) and Koch oil & gas.

I believe this is the last car we will ever own as a family. If I'm wrong, the next car will not be sold based on a hard sell from somebody working on commission.
Nice, drew2017! Welcome to the Tesla family. Hope you enjoy it!

Canadian here, so fair warning that the numbers might be a bit higher. My story is a mixture of hard work, some luck / good fortune, and good financial awareness.

My wife and I both look over our finances closely on a monthly basis, but at the same time we do like to enjoy ourselves, with our most expensive items being outside dining ($450/month), skiing ($2K/year), and a yearly vacation ($3K/year). We're currently in our mid-20s and moved out of my parents' place 3.5 years ago, finishing school 1 year later while paying for it all. From then till now, our combined household income grew from $75K to $115K currently and because of our focus on saving, we were still able to save roughly $2K per month, give or take depending on things. Can't stress enough the importance of getting relevant work experience asap while in post-secondary.

Over the last several years we bought our first car, a used Mini for $13K, then traded up for a used BMW 320i for $29K. As for our living situation, we went from renting to buying a to-be-developed townhouse in the subrubs in August of 2015, which we moved into last year, with our mortgage and strata being roughly equal to our rent, $1200 a month. Add in all the new furniture and upgrades we bought for the place and paying for our wedding last year, and it's fair to say it was an expensive year, sparing no expense. Although we now had some debt on our line of credit, we still had good positive cashflow while still early in our careers. That was the hard work.

Our luck / good fortune came with some unfortunate news though, but like they say, when one door closes, another door opens. My parents worked their way to upper middle class by this point and had three income properties. 3.5 years ago they divorced (for the better) and were splitting up assets, which is what forced us to move out in the first place. They decided to leave me with one of the apartments as you can't divide three apartments between two people. It was valued at $180K and had a $130K mortgage on it so after all costs, it added about $150 a month of income with a 30-year mortgage. The plan was to keep it and just gain the bonus income and equity, slowly but surely.

We want to be thinking of our retirement so earlier this year we found a retirement plan where we contribute $400 a month for 20 years, while it grows. Worse comes to worst at 65, we will still have access to $2K a month until the day we die, and that's not including the government pension plan.

Now comes some good financial awareness, or perhaps just taking advantage of the situation. We found that the apartment real estate market jumped this summer and so came an opportunity. While the value of the apartment stayed relatively, it could now sell for around $300K. We decided to put it on the market and found a buyer, with the sale going through on September 1st, giving us an estimated profit of $159K. This is where, after years of talking about Tesla, my mind started to whirl.

After a lot of discussions, playing with numbers, and comparing various scenarios, we came up with a plan. We're going to pay off the $20K line of credit that we have leftover from last year, max out our Registered Retirement Savings Plan spare contribution limit of $62K (which is tax deductible), and put $57K into several financial investments. For the capital gains tax on our apartment sale, the government taxes you on 50% of your profit, which for us would come to $80K. Less, the RRSP tax deductible contribution, it would add $18K to our taxable income, which is very manageable.

If you're still following along, you'll see we saved $20K to serve as a down-payment. In conjunction with an estimated resale value of $23K for our BMW, and we have a sizable amount towards a Tesla. In Canada, with the exchange rate, your're looking at 6-figure car. Our philosophy at this point is if we're going to be spending this much money on a Tesla, we may as well get exactly what we want and be happy with it, rather than trying a save a few grand. We're planning on keeping this car until it dies so concerns about resale value and the like don't factor in for us. After all of our research, because of my hockey games, our ski trips, and the family we look to build, we decided on fully-optioned X 100D.

With the new price reductions, it comes to $161,350. Add on the 12% GST/PST and 3% luxury tax (really...?), less the previously mentioned down-payment, and we're looking at a loan of around $143K. With their offer of 8 years @ 1.99%, it comes to $1,600 a month, which combined with our car insurance, mortgage and strata is still less than 50% of our monthly disposable income. Once I also account for the fact that we historically spend $300 a month on gas, it doesn't look so bad.

After everything, our mortgage, strata, car payments, insurance, retirement contribution, and credit card bills, we aim to have a net of $500 a month. That isn't a lot of wiggle room but here are some key points I remember: 1) this is without adjusting our credit card bill and current lifestyle, which have plenty of opportunities for reduction, 2) we're still paying for our retirement by considering it a cost, 3) our careers are in great positions to grow, 4) our financial assets are growing for the long-term, and 5) if worse comes to worst, we have the financial assets to pay off the car loan. In the meantime, however, no point in not making the most of it while we can.

Sorry for the long story, meant for it to be shorter, but I wanted to show how even for young people, Tesla can be affordable -- you just need to manage your monthly finances. I'm fully aware of the role the apartment played in this, but I consider it to have just sped things up. More than anything, it gave us the safety net of financial assets in case things go wrong.

Without it though, I think we would've been in a position to afford a Tesla within a few years. What truly allowed us to afford it, I think, is our positive monthly cashflow. Without that, we wouldn't have garnered the assets beforehand nor would we have been approved for our loan. It's a delicate balance between enjoying life currently and saving for your future, and I think we have found it. Thanks for reading and can't wait for the delivery!

Reactions: redy
Canadian here, so fair warning that the numbers might be a bit higher. My story is a mixture of hard work, some luck / good fortune, and good financial awareness.

My wife and I both look over our finances closely on a monthly basis, but at the same time we do like to enjoy ourselves, with our most expensive items being outside dining ($450/month), skiing ($2K/year), and a yearly vacation ($3K/year). We're currently in our mid-20s and moved out of my parents' place 3.5 years ago, finishing school 1 year later while paying for it all. From then till now, our combined household income grew from $75K to $115K currently and because of our focus on saving, we were still able to save roughly $2K per month, give or take depending on things. Can't stress enough the importance of getting relevant work experience asap while in post-secondary.

Over the last several years we bought our first car, a used Mini for $13K, then traded up for a used BMW 320i for $29K. As for our living situation, we went from renting to buying a to-be-developed townhouse in the subrubs in August of 2015, which we moved into last year, with our mortgage and strata being roughly equal to our rent, $1200 a month. Add in all the new furniture and upgrades we bought for the place and paying for our wedding last year, and it's fair to say it was an expensive year, sparing no expense. Although we now had some debt on our line of credit, we still had good positive cashflow while still early in our careers. That was the hard work.

Our luck / good fortune came with some unfortunate news though, but like they say, when one door closes, another door opens. My parents worked their way to upper middle class by this point and had three income properties. 3.5 years ago they divorced (for the better) and were splitting up assets, which is what forced us to move out in the first place. They decided to leave me with one of the apartments as you can't divide three apartments between two people. It was valued at $180K and had a $130K mortgage on it so after all costs, it added about $150 a month of income with a 30-year mortgage. The plan was to keep it and just gain the bonus income and equity, slowly but surely.

We want to be thinking of our retirement so earlier this year we found a retirement plan where we contribute $400 a month for 20 years, while it grows. Worse comes to worst at 65, we will still have access to $2K a month until the day we die, and that's not including the government pension plan.

Now comes some good financial awareness, or perhaps just taking advantage of the situation. We found that the apartment real estate market jumped this summer and so came an opportunity. While the value of the apartment stayed relatively, it could now sell for around $300K. We decided to put it on the market and found a buyer, with the sale going through on September 1st, giving us an estimated profit of $159K. This is where, after years of talking about Tesla, my mind started to whirl.

After a lot of discussions, playing with numbers, and comparing various scenarios, we came up with a plan. We're going to pay off the $20K line of credit that we have leftover from last year, max out our Registered Retirement Savings Plan spare contribution limit of $62K (which is tax deductible), and put $57K into several financial investments. For the capital gains tax on our apartment sale, the government taxes you on 50% of your profit, which for us would come to $80K. Less, the RRSP tax deductible contribution, it would add $18K to our taxable income, which is very manageable.

If you're still following along, you'll see we saved $20K to serve as a down-payment. In conjunction with an estimated resale value of $23K for our BMW, and we have a sizable amount towards a Tesla. In Canada, with the exchange rate, your're looking at 6-figure car. Our philosophy at this point is if we're going to be spending this much money on a Tesla, we may as well get exactly what we want and be happy with it, rather than trying a save a few grand. We're planning on keeping this car until it dies so concerns about resale value and the like don't factor in for us. After all of our research, because of my hockey games, our ski trips, and the family we look to build, we decided on fully-optioned X 100D.

With the new price reductions, it comes to $161,350. Add on the 12% GST/PST and 3% luxury tax (really...?), less the previously mentioned down-payment, and we're looking at a loan of around $143K. With their offer of 8 years @ 1.99%, it comes to $1,600 a month, which combined with our car insurance, mortgage and strata is still less than 50% of our monthly disposable income. Once I also account for the fact that we historically spend $300 a month on gas, it doesn't look so bad.

After everything, our mortgage, strata, car payments, insurance, retirement contribution, and credit card bills, we aim to have a net of $500 a month. That isn't a lot of wiggle room but here are some key points I remember: 1) this is without adjusting our credit card bill and current lifestyle, which have plenty of opportunities for reduction, 2) we're still paying for our retirement by considering it a cost, 3) our careers are in great positions to grow, 4) our financial assets are growing for the long-term, and 5) if worse comes to worst, we have the financial assets to pay off the car loan. In the meantime, however, no point in not making the most of it while we can.

Sorry for the long story, meant for it to be shorter, but I wanted to show how even for young people, Tesla can be affordable -- you just need to manage your monthly finances. I'm fully aware of the role the apartment played in this, but I consider it to have just sped things up. More than anything, it gave us the safety net of financial assets in case things go wrong.

Without it though, I think we would've been in a position to afford a Tesla within a few years. What truly allowed us to afford it, I think, is our positive monthly cashflow. Without that, we wouldn't have garnered the assets beforehand nor would we have been approved for our loan. It's a delicate balance between enjoying life currently and saving for your future, and I think we have found it. Thanks for reading and can't wait for the delivery!
So, find someone to give you an apartment.

Nice work hitting all of your financial goals while still purchasing a new X 100D in mid 20s. No easy feat. Keep on tracking your finances, and enjoy your new ride. Hopefully you'll be able to ride it till it dies, and hopefully that will be many years from now!