Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Afraid of loosing Aero efficiency vs Cool looking Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
When I first decided to get a Model 3 it was gonna be an AWD with 19" OEM Wheels. But due to all the hysteria last fall I switched to a Performance (Stealth) for faster Delivery and Free Supercharging. But you lost the option of the 19" Wheels. I knew I could fix that later. No biggy.

When I say Aero's below, it's always with covers. Covers off don't look all that much better in my opinion, on Midnight Silver any way.

In my first month owning it last October I averaged 230 wh/mi with Aero's and AWD (and lots of 0-60 testing) over 1000 miles. I was pretty happy and gave a lot of credit to Aero wheels (and Chill mode when not testing 0-60). Then Winter set in and my average went to 270 wh/mi with 6000 miles and 4-5 months of Winter (MA/NH). Still fairly happy and gave credit to the Aero's and Chill mode.

But with so many Model 3's around now my car just didn't look all that special. Every time I stopped at supercharger I'd see a RWD pull up with 19" wheels and then looked at my car ;(

I seriously considered aftermarket wheels but I really like the look of the OEM Wheels and the after market ones I did like were super expensive. I didn't see much point in TSportline turbines that look similar. Why not get OEM. I tried to buy a used set but either they asked too much, were biffed or would not ship. But the real kicker was reading reviews on the OEM 19" tires, not good at all. So why spend $2000 -ish on tires are don't want.

What also hurts is I bought a 2nd set of Aero's for Winter Tires. So I have two full sets of Aero's and an extra set of new Primacy's. Ugh.

I researched a lot on my winter tires and they worked out to be exactly what I wanted. Quiet, Efficient and good tread life are very high criteria for me. Xi3's. Again after research the OEM snows (Sottozero) would fail in all my criteria. Sottozero have there pluses, no question. Could not be happier with Xi3's. They are quieter than Primacy and maybe slightly more efficient.

Once I new I found a tire for the 19" that will fit my criteria (Quiet, Efficient and Good Tread life), only then I could consider the 19's. I settled on a Pirelli P7+ All Season. They are noted for being very quiet. They are supposed to be low rolling resistance (not much info on that) and they have a tread life of 70K miles. And only $208 each !!

So then I finally I called local SC and asked about price and availability of 19" OEM's. He said he had 3 in stock and said he could get a 4th in a couple days. Great for solving my spontaneous decision to get 19's (also a really bad idea from my wife's point of view). He got the 4th wheel right on schedule. Wow did they look huge. BTW if your in MA don't go through Dedham parts department, go through Watertown. They are fantastic.

I weighed the Aero's with Covers and Tires and they were 49 lbs. I weighed the new OEM 19's with tires and they were 50.5 lbs. Only 1.5lbs heavier. Not sure if the P7+ tire is lighter than the OEM Continental.

Well the upgrade hit all the marks.

The car has a nice pop to now. I don't care about offsets, lowering or the race track.

I will still run Aero's with Xi3 in Winter.

To test, I put exactly the door tag pressure (42 lbs cold on 18" or 19") on both sets. Then tested both sets over a 30 mile all highway loop with identical conditions and SOC. They are nearly identical efficiency wise. 1% worse, tops. My commute to work (no highway) all back roads 35-40 mph and I'm getting 200 wh/mi, about the same as Aero's. It keeps getting better as it warms up too.

I used to give Aero's the credit for efficiency. Now I give the Pirelli P7+ the credit. Note there are two P7's. A P7 and a P7+. The P7+ is the tire to get. The P7 is not rated that great. This is not a performance tire, it's an all season touring tire, like the Primacy.

Another bonus, they are quieter than the 18" Primacy's !! Firmness wise they feel very close to the same. Maybe a tad stiffer.

So they look nicer, as efficient (with in 1%), longer tread life (55k vs 70k), quieter and cheaper (tires $283 vs $208).

Another bonus, now with no foam inside tires in winter or summer I have the option to use the fix-a-flat goo in an emergency. And potentially less issues plugging from outside or patching from inside.

Both my Noise and Efficiency tests were based on 65 mph in Chill Mode.
Both noise and efficiency could be very different at 85 mph or a lead foot, but I doubt it.

32861785227_d38450ecf2_b_d.jpg

Blue Trace = 18" Aeros, Orange Trace = 19" P7+, Grey Trace with P7+ and Door Gasket Mode (Z strip only)
X Axis is frequency, Y Axis is dB, Used iPhoneX in a ProClip mount, Microphone hit limit at like 18khz.
47713674682_5996151548_b_d.jpg

This is round trip probably 110 miles Highway 65 mph with passenger. Rest around town.
47805409261_baa9761ab9_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
When I first decided to get a Model 3 it was gonna be an AWD with 19" OEM Wheels. But due to all the hysteria last fall I switched to a Performance (Stealth) for faster Delivery and Free Supercharging. But you lost the option of the 19" Wheels. I knew I could fix that later. No biggy.

When I say Aero's below, it's always with covers. Covers off don't look all that much better in my opinion, on Midnight Silver any way.

In my first month owning it last October I averaged 230 wh/mi with Aero's and AWD (and lots of 0-60 testing) over 1000 miles. I was pretty happy and gave a lot of credit to Aero wheels (and Chill mode when not testing 0-60). Then Winter set in and my average went to 270 wh/mi with 6000 miles and 4-5 months of Winter (MA/NH). Still fairly happy and gave credit to the Aero's and Chill mode.

But with so many Model 3's around now my car just didn't look all that special. Every time I stopped at supercharger I'd see a RWD pull up with 19" wheels and then looked at my car ;(

I seriously considered aftermarket wheels but I really like the look of the OEM Wheels and the after market ones I did like were super expensive. I didn't see much point in TSportline turbines that look similar. Why not get OEM. I tried to buy a used set but either they asked too much, were biffed or would not ship. But the real kicker was reading reviews on the OEM 19" tires, not good at all. So why spend $2000 -ish on tires are don't want.

What also hurts is I bought a 2nd set of Aero's for Winter Tires. So I have two full sets of Aero's and an extra set of new Primacy's. Ugh.

I researched a lot on my winter tires and they worked out to be exactly what I wanted. Quiet, Efficient and good tread life are very high criteria for me. Xi3's. Again after research the OEM snows (Sottozero) would fail in all my criteria. Sottozero have there pluses, no question. Could not be happier with Xi3's. They are quieter than Primacy and maybe slightly more efficient.

Once I new I found a tire for the 19" that will fit my criteria (Quiet, Efficient and Good Tread life), only then I could consider the 19's. I settled on a Pirelli P7+ All Season. They are noted for being very quiet. They are supposed to be low rolling resistance (not much info on that) and they have a tread life of 70K miles. And only $208 each !!

So then I finally I called local SC and asked about price and availability of 19" OEM's. He said he had 3 in stock and said he could get a 4th in a couple days. Great for solving my spontaneous decision to get 19's (also a really bad idea from my wife's point of view). He got the 4th wheel right on schedule. Wow did they look huge. BTW if your in MA don't go through Dedham parts department, go through Watertown. They are fantastic.

I weighed the Aero's with Covers and Tires and they were 49 lbs. I weighed the new OEM 19's with tires and they were 50.5 lbs. Only 1.5lbs heavier. Not sure if the P7+ tire is lighter than the OEM Continental.

Well the upgrade hit all the marks.

The car has a nice pop to now. I don't care about offsets, lowering or the race track.

I will still run Aero's with Xi3 in Winter.

To test, I put exactly the door tag pressure (42 lbs cold on 18" or 19") on both sets. Then tested both sets over a 30 mile all highway loop with identical conditions and SOC. They are nearly identical efficiency wise. 1% worse, tops. My commute to work (no highway) all back roads 35-40 mph and I'm getting 200 wh/mi, about the same as Aero's. It keeps getting better as it warms up too.

I used to give Aero's the credit for efficiency. Now I give the Pirelli P7+ the credit. Note there are two P7's. A P7 and a P7+. The P7+ is the tire to get. The P7 is not rated that great. This is not a performance tire, it's an all season touring tire, like the Primacy.

Another bonus, they are quieter than the 18" Primacy's !! Firmness wise they feel very close to the same. Maybe a tad stiffer.

So they look nicer, as efficient (with in 1%), longer tread life (55k vs 70k), quieter and cheaper (tires $283 vs $208).

Another bonus, now with no foam inside tires in winter or summer I have the option to use the fix-a-flat goo in an emergency. And potentially less issues plugging from outside or patching from inside.

Both my Noise and Efficiency tests were based on 65 mph in Chill Mode.
Both noise and efficiency could be very different at 85 mph or a lead foot, but I doubt it.

32861785227_d38450ecf2_b_d.jpg

Blue Trace = 18" Aeros, Orange Trace = 19" P7+, Grey Trace with P7+ and Door Gasket Mode (Z strip only)
X Axis is frequency, Y Axis is dB, Used iPhoneX in a ProClip mount, Microphone hit limit at like 18khz.
47713674682_5996151548_b_d.jpg

This is round trip probably 110 miles Highway 65 mph with passenger. Rest around town.
47805409261_baa9761ab9_b_d.jpg

So your thread title implied a question, did you have one or just sharing?

Last edited:
Reactions: karn101
it's all personal preference.. I would take almost any efficiency hit for the " nicer" looking wheels ;)
I dont have a model 3.. but a buddy had a white with the sport wheels and it looked sharp.
32861785227_d38450ecf2_b.jpg
2017_tesla_model-3_f34_lt_524182_300-2.jpg

Attachments

• 32861785227_d38450ecf2_b.jpg
    32861785227_d38450ecf2_b.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mhycki
it's all personal preference.. I would take almost any efficiency hit for the " nicer" looking wheels ;)
I dont have a model 3.. but a buddy had a white with the sport wheels and it looked sharp.
View attachment 405648View attachment 405650

I came to realize I'm willing to take some hit on efficiency, since I'd only run them in the summer. I was prepared to lose 10% or more.
To be honest I'm a bit shocked how good they are running. I have not seen anyone else even mention these P7+ tires on a Model 3.

you might not be going fast enough for the Aero to do anything in your test.

I have run so many different tires and wheels on my S and it is interesting what makes a big difference. I think wheel offset does the most that I have seen. even the difference between a 20" RE71R and 19" AS2 is not actually that great on the highway at full tire pressure. I run my RE71 @ 38 Psi normally

Reactions: mswlogo
So, do you have an extra set of wheels now you are looking to sell?

Thanks for asking, but I already sold one set of Aero's pretty quickly and very close to what I bought the extra set for last fall.
But I still have a set of 4 Michelin Primacy 18" tires (under 150 miles) in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

you might not be going fast enough for the Aero to do anything in your test.

I have run so many different tires and wheels on my S and it is interesting what makes a big difference. I think wheel offset does the most that I have seen. even the difference between a 20" RE71R and 19" AS2 is not actually that great on the highway at full tire pressure. I run my RE71 @ 38 Psi normally

True. That's why I added the disclaimer and full transparency that my tests were done at 65MPH.
Maybe mud flaps wouldn't hurt my efficiency either ;)

Interesting, I wondered how the offsets affected efficiency.

True. That's why I added the disclaimer and full transparency that my tests were done at 65MPH.
Maybe mud flaps wouldn't hurt my efficiency either ;)

Interesting, I wondered how the offsets affected efficiency.
aha ... I thought this was the test ?
- 'To test, I put exactly the door tag pressure (42 lbs cold on 18" or 19") on both sets. Then tested both sets over a 30 mile all highway loop with identical conditions and SOC. They are nearly identical efficiency wise. 1% worse, tops. My commute to work (no highway) all back roads 35-40 mph and I'm getting 200 wh/mi, about the same as Aero's. It keeps getting better as it warms up too. '

aha ... I thought this was the test ?
- 'To test, I put exactly the door tag pressure (42 lbs cold on 18" or 19") on both sets. Then tested both sets over a 30 mile all highway loop with identical conditions and SOC. They are nearly identical efficiency wise. 1% worse, tops. My commute to work (no highway) all back roads 35-40 mph and I'm getting 200 wh/mi, about the same as Aero's. It keeps getting better as it warms up too. '

Sorry, I commented on several things.

The most careful test was a deliberate 30 mile loop, all highway 65 mph that I did strictly to test each set of tires. I wanted 30 miles to fill the energy chart and took pictures of both. This was a loop to minimize altitude affects. I did the loop, put on new wheels (while charging to same level) and then did the exact loop again. Also recorded audio at the exact same spot. That got around 238 wh/mi on both sets of tires.

I separately commented on other observations strictly by memory. Like my commute to work that is not on the highway is getting the same 200 wh/mi. But that was not a back to back test.

And the picture of the 130 miles trip was just another random observation with the new tires of mostly highway averaging 233 wh/mi. Again not a back to back test but I have done that 130 trip a lot and it’s very close to what I got on Aero’s.

Everything is pointing to little to no change.

According to this chart I should lose 10-11% at 65 mph

https://teslike.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/mi6b.gif

Last edited:
I went with the Sport 19" on my LR RWD because wheels make the car IMHO, and I am 99.9% city driving in my car - and it's Austin so 99.9% of that is sitting in traffic. Aero won't make that much of a difference on my car, but the added grip of the 19" tires will help in acceleration, cornering and braking so I can avoid getting hit by the terrible drivers that litter Austin roads. :)

Reactions: lax1mxb
I'd be interested to know if anyone has done a similar aerodynamic efficiency comparison using the 18" OEM wheels with and without the wheel covers on. I'm planning a road trip from Sonoma County to LA soon, and was debating if I should put the (IMO ugly) wheel covers back on. I pretty much had to go with 18" wheels because where I live in Sonoma County is very rural, and I do a lot of driving on very potholed and unpaved roads.

Reactions: Avendit and mswlogo
Removing the aero caps will reveal a solid spoked wheel and some industrial looking lugnuts.

There are dress-up kits for these wheels that will give them a nice custom look, effectively giving you two different looks from one set of wheels.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done a similar aerodynamic efficiency comparison using the 18" OEM wheels with and without the wheel covers on. I'm planning a road trip from Sonoma County to LA soon, and was debating if I should put the (IMO ugly) wheel covers back on. I pretty much had to go with 18" wheels because where I live in Sonoma County is very rural, and I do a lot of driving on very potholed and unpaved roads.

It can’t be much worse than NewEngland. I know I increased my chances of a bent rim. But I’ve seen very few reports of bent 19”. And have seen one report of bent 18”. Lot of folks also went with forged 19” or 20”. I’m hoping I’m OK on 19” OEM.

I’m sure there are tons of comparisons with Aero covers On vs Off out there. Google around.

I actually googled the bad roads topic. Here's an article that ranks worst roads in major metro areas - SF-Oakland area wins by a large margin - Does your city have the worst roads in America?
Then I drilled down a little further to learn than Sonoma County has the worst roads in the SF-O area, and within Sonoma County, Petaluma (where I live) has the worst roads in the county - Sonoma County still has the worst roads in the Bay Area despite millions spent fixing them up . I'm happy to report that after 11 months with my Model 3, there are still no squeaks or rattles when I drive over crappy roads.

Reactions: mswlogo

In my first month owning it last October I averaged 230 wh/mi with Aero's and AWD

Sorry - I’m confused by the first few sentences :) You ordered a Model 3 Performance, then spent the first month driving with Aero wheels - how?

-Alex

Sorry - I’m confused by the first few sentences :) You ordered a Model 3 Performance, then spent the first month driving with Aero wheels - how?

-Alex

Performance was originally offered with or without the 20” wheels and bigger brakes. No option for 19” though. It was $5K extra for the 20” wheels and Brakes. It is now only available with that package.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS