Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Afraid to trust navigation system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still having fun with navigation. I got my hopes up yesterday when I got this message:

View attachment 69190

A reboot cleared the error, but I still get routing like this:

View attachment 69191

I contacted @service about both issues (again), but haven't heard back.

I got the update overnight, so I assume service was able to get an upload queued for me.

As you would expect, the experience is much improved, and all of new roads in this morning's drive were in the database.

On interesting thing is a traffic circle near my house that was completed in 2010 has been added. Previously I had assumed that it wasn't important enough to have in the database, but maybe my maps were a bit older than I thought.

I got the update overnight, so I assume service was able to get an upload queued for me.

As you would expect, the experience is much improved, and all of new roads in this morning's drive were in the database.

I'm glad you got the update. I agree that the experience is much improved. The system no longer directs people to take a ferry near me after hours when the ship is docked for the night. Further investigation is needed to see if they've simply updated the ferry's operating hours, or if the algorithm is now less likely to favor ferries. Obviously, it should give you a choice.

Andy: as another Ithacan, I can confirm that the navigation system is really terrible, at least for this area.

The maps (being Google Maps) are fine, though. Since I am better at navigating than any automated nav system I've ever seen, it just didn't bother me. I just pull up the maps, and make my own navigation plans.

Warning: the maps don't download properly in Canada. This caught me off guard. Carry paper maps for Canada.

P.S. 89, really? The fastest route is 96A. :)

Last edited:
I agree it was trying to keep me on bigger roads, but too much bigger, and it wanted to take me through Syracuse! I'm attaching Mapquest images of the route I wanted to take (and did take) and the route the navigation system would have had me take. (I'm partially guessing at parts of the navigation system route, but it definitely wanted me to stay on the Thruway through Syracuse. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, and taking the most direct route down to Ithaca from Syracuse. It could have had something more bizarre planned for me.)

The Nav calculation probably resulted in a few seconds faster routing via Syracuse and down Interstate 81 to Cortland. That is one of the problems of all Nav systems when one specifies fastest route.

Andy: as another Ithacan, I can confirm that the navigation system is really terrible, at least for this area.

I'm not worried about it in this area for myself, but rather for my wife, who is new to the area, and often relies on navigation, even when she should know how to get around. She won't be doing that in the Tesla, at least for now.

As for 89 vs. 96, going up I wanted the more scenic route. Mapquest actually recommends it over 96, so I can't imagine the time difference is great, though I've taken 96 as well. Coming back down was a no-brainer, as we were having New Year's Eve Dinner at Taughannock Farms Inn. I probably could have taken 96 and cut across somewhere, but 89 seemed simpler, and a more enjoyable route to take the brand new Tesla on.

Going all the way to Syracuse, and then coming down Route 81 is a pretty poor choice, any way you look at it!

The maps (being Google Maps) are fine, though. Since I am better at navigating than any automated nav system I've ever seen, it just didn't bother me. I just pull up the maps, and make my own navigation plans.

Warning: the maps don't download properly in Canada. This caught me off guard. Carry paper maps for Canada.

Curious about your Canada comment ... I didn't have any problems there, can you explain your experience? Was it a roaming issue?

Someone reported a couple of months ago that 3G in their US-spec Model S was working in Canada. I didn't follow the thread to learn if it was just for them, just for recent VINs, or for everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious about your Canada comment ... I didn't have any problems there, can you explain your experience? Was it a roaming issue?

Was your visit recent? Apparently, all North-American cars were given a US 3G plan, but only Canadians were given "roaming" in Canada.

Was your visit recent? Apparently, all North-American cars were given a US 3G plan, but only Canadians were given "roaming" in Canada.

End of Sept 2014. I had loaded my future destinations into nav ahead of time assuming that I would lose 3G service and have to rely on the onboard navigation without Google Maps. It did cut out for about 2-3 minutes then reloaded indicating I was roaming. I had full 3G service including browser. Other responses on another thread indicated similar experiences. Curious as to neroden's experience to see if it was a while ago, when US based vehicles didn't roam in Canada or very recent, in which case my experience might have been temporary.

I've used nav twice since I took delivery 10 days ago and both times it wanted to take me (according to its own prediction once I manually drove the optimal route, ignoring its recommendation) 14 minutes longer on a 38 minute trip from Woodinville to downtown Seattle. It wanted me to go on side streets a long ways to highway 405 (I'm as far from 405 as you can get in Woodinville, but quite close to highway 520) and then take highway 90 and take surface streets a long ways. I ignored it, went Avondale to 520 and got to my destination 14 minutes sooner than its running estimation (and constant requests for u-turns) for its suggested route. Had I not known better I would have wasted a lot of time and energy.

Last edited:
What it needs is waypoint driving and the ability to avoid toll roads etc.
I fail to understand why it can't do that now.
What I have to do now is navigate to destination B from starting point A, and then re program it to go to destination C from B.
A royal pain plus its not necessarily getting me to point C the fastest way because it thinks originally that i want to go to B as destination. I'm sure there are faster ways to get to C if waypoint navigation was there.
If you ask me, this should have been a priority two years ago!

What it needs is waypoint driving and the ability to avoid toll roads etc.
I fail to understand why it can't do that now.
What I have to do now is navigate to destination B from starting point A, and then re program it to go to destination C from B.
A royal pain plus its not necessarily getting me to point C the fastest way because it thinks originally that i want to go to B as destination. I'm sure there are faster ways to get to C if waypoint navigation was there.
If you ask me, this should have been a priority two years ago!

At the very least it needs avoid toll roads.

Some more crazy routing in central Florida.

photo 3.JPG

Love my model s. But the navigation system is terrible. The directions are wrong more often than they are right. Bizarre for a tech company. Anyone know if there's an upgrade or fix planned?

In my case it works great, I'm sorry you are experiencing trouble with it.
Have you told Tesla?

I guarantee you telling Tesla your concerns has a better chance of getting something accomplished more than telling us;-)
Specifics are good too, for telling us or Tesla.

My main issue is that it doesn't seem to take traffic into effect when predicting arrival time. It is always saying I will get there well before I do, unlike Waze which is almost always right.

We need third party Nav apps - like Waze.