Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Afraid to trust navigation system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. It's here:

Many people agree that there are significant issues with the current navigation system. Anyone experiencing these issues should write to Tesla at [email protected]

For anyone who doubts the navigation system makes mistakes, below is the most recent post in the other thread. (Be sure to look at the image if only a link to the image appears.):

Some more crazy routing in central Florida.

View attachment 70109

Picture from other post, to make this easy:

photo 3.JPG

I don't trust it that much either as it sometimes gives me very weird routes...
It's a bit ironic that the "beat the traffic" wouldn't work as well as Waze, since Google did acquire Waze a while back I think, but I do experience the same thing (and end up pulling out Waze on my cell).

-- Greg

The navigation system does seem to take traffic considerations into account. However my problem with it is it he opposite, as I'm often home >10 minutes faster than it first calculates, quite a bit off for a 30 minute drive. The unfortunate part about this is that it makes the alternate suggestions useless for me as they are often slower.

Many people agree that there are significant issues with the current navigation system. Anyone experiencing these issues should write to Tesla at [email protected]

For anyone who doubts the navigation system makes mistakes, below is the most recent post in the other thread. (Be sure to look at the image if only a link to the image appears.):

I don't think anyone doubts that navigation doesn't make any errors.
It is just that when people say a blanket statement like "navigation is terrible", other people that have found navigation to work well want to let people know this isn't a universal complaint.

Additionally, it is important to notify Tesla of any such errors, as you noted.

I can't say I've had any trouble with the destination other than the normal GPS errors that occur with any navigation system. The main problem is that you can't select avoid toll roads, so it's always trying to get you to take one. It's like Tesla gets a kickback (yes, I know they don't, but when it wants to route you to a toll road every two blocks, it sure seems like it).

View attachment 70167

That looks exactly like Google maps knows that section of road exists, but the navigation software does not. They are not the same. I have seen the same thing happen when I used an old navigation system that was out of date. It wanted to route me in a round about manner, but since I knew the road existed, I used it anyway. Once I 'rejoined' the route, everything returned to normal.

Don't forget the google map and Nav are two entirely different functions. You are showing the Google map view , which is not the navigation. And not necessarily what the navigation will do.

View attachment 70167

That looks exactly like Google maps knows that section of road exists, but the navigation software does not. They are not the same. I have seen the same thing happen when I used an old navigation system that was out of date. It wanted to route me in a round about manner, but since I knew the road existed, I used it anyway. Once I 'rejoined' the route, everything returned to normal.

Rt 60 which is the east/west road has been there for decades... It's not a new road. There was no traffic at all. There's no possible reason the Nav should have routed around that segment. What's interesting is that while driving the Nav would toggle between that route and the direct route, but then finally settled on the non-direct route until I got past the indicated turn off point.. Then it used the direct route for the remainder of the route... So it does know it's a valid road. I wish I knew *why* if chose to do the roundabout diversion.

Yes, behavior like that (which I've often encountered myself) makes me think that the Tesla routing software has bugs in it. While Tesla relies on Google maps, it is actual Tesla code that figures out the route to use.

In my case it works great, I'm sorry you are experiencing trouble with it.
Have you told Tesla?

I guarantee you telling Tesla your concerns has a better chance of getting something accomplished more than telling us;-)
Specifics are good too, for telling us or Tesla.

Anytime I get a really bad navigation map, I log a bug fix to Tesla. I believe it takes a screenshot of my centre console at the time I report the bug. I'm not sure if this is better than sending an email to Tesla.

I wasn't able to report the nav error thru the car so I will post it here, happened today in my car & last Thanksgiving a loaner that had the whiter looking map.

Traveling E on the I-10 to the 405 S there is a interchange but Tesla Nav doesn't know about it, first it wants you to exit the freeway at Centinela & take side streets then get back on the 405 S, this takes twice as long
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 3.40.47 PM.png

Obviously you don't exit so then it wants you to take this crazy route
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 3.43.21 PM.png

In this last pic I am already on the interchange but Nav just doesn't have it
IMG_0184.jpg

Last edited:
another detail about the nav - voice guidance is typically late. she'll say "turn right on X street" right after i pass it. i've had waze running side by side with the nav, and obviously waze is much better in every way, including that it tells me to turn BEFORE i pass my turn.

6.2, anyone?

Actually I've seen some weirdness with the V6 navigation. Last week I made the mistake of blindly following navigation instructions in an unfamiliar area. It took me down a mud road (I mean literally mud - I thought I was going to get stuck, and the car got totally covered in mud). Only once I realized what was happening did I realize it took me PAST my turn and took me on this dogleg just so it could bathe me in mud and make me drive a couple of extra kilometers. (No there wasn't any traffic indication and it was definitely a longer route - it had NO reason for doing that.)

After that I was in Toronto and noted it was diverting me out of my way. I assumed traffic but then I noticed that there only one tiny little bit of red at one intersection. I ignored the advice, which was a good thing because there wasn't any significant traffic on the direct route. It kept trying to divert me left and right.

On top of that, it kept predicting ridiculous arrival times, in one case an hour later than what I actually managed. I was even driving for efficiency, not for speed! It was as if it was expecting 50 kph speed limits on all roads except the 400 series highways (what Americans call freeways). Heck, it even tried to tell me to drive dozens of extra km at each end of my trip so I could take the 401. Utter nonsense!
You obviously annoyed her. So, she got back at you!! Now you have to wash her - in winter!!

I just returned last night on a 1600 mile round trip from Northern California to Tempe, AZ. At the last moment when leaving the Tejon Ranch SC just north of The Grapevine, I decided to route through the Atascadero SC instead of Harris Ranch. I made the mistake of using the Tesla navigation to get me there. It routed us over Highway 58 which is definitely not the route people drive to get to Atascadero. I'm actually glad we went that way because the scenery was incredible, but it would have been both scary and dangerous to cross over the mountain at night with the tight turns with no guardrails. Didn't see another vehicle of any kind for miles and miles and miles. It dropped us into a beautiful valley on the other side from which we saw an incredible view as the sun was setting. An hour later, though, and it would have just been a narrow, twisty, dangerous road in the dark.

I may be wrong, but I think the nav routing got worse since 6.1. From my house if I route a trip south down Highway 101 it now tells me to drive 50 miles on a twisty road to get to highway 101 rather than taking a route which may be a few miles longer, but much quicker.