Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 1 year, and the thought of "upgrading".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my CPO P85 a year ago next week and had the recent thought of "upgrading" to a MX P90DL.

The terror in all of it was letting go of my P85. I only drive about 6,000 miles a year now since i basically work from home 96% of the time. I don't miss AP since I never had it, and rarely drive on the highway anyway. Maybe I'd use it on a trip? Then the thought of the almighty "L". Sure it's awesome, crazy, beyond insane, but how often would I use it? I rarely get the pedal near the floor now.

So as much as I would love a MX, I just can't part with this old classic. It's still pristine since it was one of the last total refurbs before they stopped doing that. I wrapped the front and Cquarts'd the rest, no issues at all. I have one little scratch on the drivers seat, I consider it a birth mark even though i did it.

So what went wrong with a 2013 P85 that had 59K on it a year ago? Very little. Had a door handle hang up, that was fixed in the driveway. I had the 12V battery replaced in the driveway as well. The worst thing was the passenger front window going down and not going back up. That took a week and a half for an appt but was fixed in a day.

So not much really to dread, thought i lost range but did a cycle or two and it's back over 250 at 100%.

I can't let her go, I don't care how inferior a Tesla she is, I love the hell out of this car.

Who needs centepede anyway?

pAzmLW2.jpg

Maybe i'll get crazy and put the unplugged refresh front clip on it next year. who knows, but she isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
My advice? Keep your beautiful P85. You've already admitted you'd rarely use Autopilot. If you want the improved handling of the P85+, that's another story. Save your money for the Roadster 2.0, like me ;)

On that note, would you believe I was actually thinking of selling my P85+ with AP this morning?
It's a unicorn and a half - the only P85+ Tesla made in 2015. She's been absolutely perfect for 47,000 miles except for the door handles.

When my wife got her Model 3 Performance, my contentment went out the door. Those seats! Wow. So comfy. Not a fan of my flat Gen 1.5 seats. I was thinking maybe I could trade mine in a higher-mileage P85D with next-gen seats without losing too much money?

I'm also open to suggestions. Good luck!

Reactions: Olds442
I bought my CPO P85 a year ago next week and had the recent thought of "upgrading" to a MX P90DL.

The terror in all of it was letting go of my P85. I only drive about 6,000 miles a year now since i basically work from home 96% of the time. I don't miss AP since I never had it, and rarely drive on the highway anyway. Maybe I'd use it on a trip? Then the thought of the almighty "L". Sure it's awesome, crazy, beyond insane, but how often would I use it? I rarely get the pedal near the floor now.

So as much as I would love a MX, I just can't part with this old classic. It's still pristine since it was one of the last total refurbs before they stopped doing that. I wrapped the front and Cquarts'd the rest, no issues at all. I have one little scratch on the drivers seat, I consider it a birth mark even though i did it.

So what went wrong with a 2013 P85 that had 59K on it a year ago? Very little. Had a door handle hang up, that was fixed in the driveway. I had the 12V battery replaced in the driveway as well. The worst thing was the passenger front window going down and not going back up. That took a week and a half for an appt but was fixed in a day.

So not much really to dread, thought i lost range but did a cycle or two and it's back over 250 at 100%.

I can't let her go, I don't care how inferior a Tesla she is, I love the hell out of this car.

Who needs centepede anyway?

pAzmLW2.jpg

Maybe i'll get crazy and put the unplugged refresh front clip on it next year. who knows, but she isn't going anywhere.
I have 2012 P85 that I’ve had for 6 years. This is not a lesser car. I’ve driven perhaps half a dozen other S varieties as loaners or friends cars, and I prefer the way my P85 handles and looks. There are perhaps a dozen features, ranging from exterior color to dash wood to yacht floor to headliner to textured interior leather, that you just can’t get anymore!

Few reasons I am not upgrading (yet) are...

1. I prefer the rear wheel luxury-performance sedan segment.
2. With upgraded forged wheels, good tires and a bit of lowering the handling is way better than stock.
3. Test drove a Model 3 Performance, great car, but.... I wasn't blown away. Even though I can afford it, to my butt dyno... not worth the $30K difference. If I didn't have the S would consider the M3P.
4. Like you, I don't need AP. If I am going to own a performance variant, I want to drive it myself.
5. I still have a year and half of CPO warranty remaining and another year after that of battery and drive unit warranty.
6. There are plenty of Teslas in the metro area, but I still get compliments from strangers on my classic.
7. I detail my cars and every time I wash it, I admire the lines and stance.

Right now for me my classic is a good balance of looks, luxury and a sporty car that I can either driver in a spirited way or drop the suspension in low and cruise slowly when I am stuck in traffic.

Keep the P85 and enjoy it everyday ....until you don't look back to your car twice when you walk away.

I now have only a couple of days before I part with my P85 Signature Red Model S that I reserved over 8 years ago and bought new over 6 years ago. The decision to part with my car began when I started thinking we needed more room for our Grandkids. My first thought was to trade my wife's 2013 P85 Model S for an X. She had been complaining for years that she wanted a heated steering wheel plus she takes trips that autopilot would be helpful for. When I approached her about it she said no, but maybe I could trade mine in instead.

After thinking about it she was right. I am so obsessed with my Model S that I hardly drive it at all anymore. My wife jokes about me not driving it in the rain. When I do drive it I park it where I do not believe anyone will park next to me. If I am uncertain that a parking lot I may go to has enough space for me to park away from other cars, I do not drive my S. Instead, I have a Chevy Bolt for those duties. Last year I put on less than 2000 miles on the car. Those miles have also been extremely gentle, my lifetime efficiency is 239 wh/mile.

So my new White 100D Model X is coming on Sunday and my baby will go to a home that will actually use it. In turn, I hope my obsession with caring for my new Model X does not go to the extremes that my Signature S did.

• Love
Reactions: TacC and Olds442
I am not a big Red person, but I do love the Signature Red. Going to a White Model X seems like a big downgrade. There are used Signature Red Xs for sale, but they have the 90kwh packs (which I have read are degrading faster than they should), plus they do not have the second row fold down 7 seat configuration. In the future, I am contemplating wrapping the X in some shade of blue.