TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

after 10+ luxury cars, I've never been this confused regarding required servicing?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by broncophil, Nov 7, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Member

I've owned MBZ, AUDI, BMW, INFINITI, LEXUS, RANGE ROVER.

And its always been pretty cut and dry. Some (bmw) include service, others dont.

Even the Tesla website is no help.

What is REQUIRED. 1 service every year? If so what is included?

I see posts of people saying brakes to alignments are included. Alignments have never been included with any of my other vehicles.

Also, some say that even if you have aftermarket wheels, they will still do rotation and balance and alignment, that is also unheard of.

How does prepaid differ from pay as you go?

Is there a sticky somewhere that I missed?

2. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

#2 NOLA_Mike, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    My understanding (and I'm sure others have a different understanding which will further confuse you :)) is that no service is REQUIRED. Tesla recommends an annual or 12,000 miles "check up" where, for $600, they inspect, change wiper blades, fill up the washer fluid, and rotate and align your wheels/tires (as well as a list of other inspections and items like grease the door hinges that are minor).

I believe the only difference in the prepaid maintenance is that a) you lock in the price over the 4 year term and b) You save $125 per visit by prepaying.

Mike

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

unfortunately depending on the each different Tesla person you talk to, you'll get a different answer. so who knows.

yes brakes and realignments are included as part of their standard service (well, only if you need new brakes or only if the alignment check results are out of spec).

yes they will still do rotation and balance and alignment with aftermarket wheels. they just won't initially mount aftermarket wheels but once you have them mounted elsewhere they won't have a problem with rotation and balance and alignment.

there is no difference except for that you save a little money up front by prepaying.

maybe not a sticky but there are dozens of threads about this. don't worry, every new Tesla person asks the same questions you did.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Attached Files:

5. broncophil

broncophil Member

thanks for the PDF mike, but i would probably opt for the pay as you go if service was not required.

so, what would happen if i did not need brakes for 40 months from date of purchase, and my tesla did not see a service center until month 40. will tesla still provide my alignment and change my brakes, and do the routine maintenance for the cost of $600.

if thats the case, thats a great deal.

i still find it odd, that people who are knowledgeable about the subject, are telling me that i will get a different answer from tesla employee to tesla employee..???

6. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Any answers I tried to give to your followup questions would be speculation on my part - I don't know.

You do bring up a good question about brakes though. I have not seen any written documentation of what's included with the "pay as you go" maintenance (i.e., what's included for the $600) only the attachment above regarding the terms of the prepaid plan.

Mike

7. sataponw

sataponw Member

There is also a big sticky on the forum Official: Model S Service Plans

If you look at the recent posts, it seems that most people who got the prepaid plan don't think it was worth it.

8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Note that annual service (whether prepaid or not) is REQUIRED for the Resale Value Guarantee if you finance through Tesla and want to take advantage of the guarantee. Not sure about the lease requirements.

9. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

#9 EarlyAdopter, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Actually, the website is quite helpful when answering the question of "what is required?" The answer is "nothing."

From Tesla Service | Tesla Motors
    Tesla just recommends you bring the car in every year or 12,000 miles.

I know it can be a bit disconcerting to think about skipping all those services, especially after we've been trained on them for all these years with our gas cars. Elon explains it well in this blog post:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

Your bank may have different requirements for lease or guaranteed buyback reasons, but those are unrelated to warranty concerns.

10. broncophil

broncophil Member

Ok i feel a little better about forgoing the service plan

11. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

I apologize in advance for sounding a bit dense on this subject...

So the 4 and 8 year "PRE-PAID SERVICE PLAN" is truly only inspection of wear-and-tear items and replacement as needed? I think I've been confusing that with (and mentally merging it with) the "EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT".

So if, for instance, my active suspension craps out, the service PLAN is irrelevant, but the service AGREEMENT will come into play, depending on coverage dates and original warranty expiration? The "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty" appears to be a bumper-to-bumper for 4 years, 50,000 miles, and that's only extended by the $4,000 "Extended Service Agreement", which is good for another 4 years or 50,000 miles. And of course the battery warranty of 8 years and 125K/unlimited miles dependent on battery size.

But it appears as though you don't get 24-hour roadside assistance, remote system monitoring, remote diagnostics, or valet service after the initial 60-day window if you don't by the service plan. This is where I'm getting confused by what it provides and what we already get without it. If we opt out of the service plan, do we still get these benefits, as well as lifetime software updates?

Thanks.

12. patn

patn Member

One thing I noted is that the service comes with "24 hour roadside assistance" (I assume for a year). I have been kind of wondering what I would (will) do someday if I have a flat tire... seems excessive to have it towed for that. Also I'm not sure my wife will be up for explaining the tow mode stuff to a tow truck driver if she's ever stranded somewhere without me. But I don't think roadside assistance for a year is worth all that much...

I am curious if Tesla is finding and fixing problems on the cars during the routine service... if those of you who have done it feel like you are getting $600 worth out of it.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I got wiper blades and a key fob battery for my $600 visit.

14. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

And don't forget that Extended Service Agreement actually comes with a $200 deductible buried in the fine print. I think Tesla should call the warranty extension a "WARRANTY" without a silly deductible. I've never owned a luxury car that required a deductible for fixing something under a warranty that I paid thousands to purchase. Already at $4,000 the "extended warranty Tesla ESA is more expensive than what Mercedes/BMW charges and the deductible is IMHO unfair. For example, if your door handle stops working that would be $4,000 for the warranty and an extra $200 to fix the door handle...

The verbiage of the PRE-PAID SERVICE PLAN and the EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT is really confusing. They should call the first one a SERVICE PLAN and the other a WARRANTY as what most normal people would call them...

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like you get more of out it if you take in every 2 years as that includes the brake fluid change and every 4th year the battery coolant fluid change also.

15. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

When I had my $600 prepaid service done, I had my inverter changed. The SC did it on their own since they didn't like a noise they heard from it.
    So if I hadn't brought it in, I might have run into trouble.