Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 2.5 happy years, bugs are finally biting me too...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my Model S in December 2016 and have never had an issues, always wondered if I had good luck or if others just have bad luck and no bugs is the norm.

Issue seems to be with 2019.12.1.1, or at least that's when it started, could be a coincidence. Autopilot on the highway basically does not work anymore. It does work to set it, at say 75 MPH, but it does not maintain that speed. It actually starts to slow down even though there is not car in front. Additionally, after probably less than 30 seconds, I get the red hands warning to take over immediately and AP, as well as cruise control, are not longer available to activate at all. Strangely this only seems to happen on the highway, as AP works fine on local streets. I have noticed however that coming to a stop happens much more abruptly than before, closing in on the car ahead (which is stopped at a stop light) very very quickly.
I talked to the local service center and they pushed out 2019.12.1.1 to the car again, but that did not fix it.
Perhaps something with the front radar is bad?

To add, I cant seem set a service appt. Called in to service, and they said to use the Tesla app. Tried that, only to get an error that says "Your appointment could not be saved. Please try again.". Service then said to try online, which I did, only to get and error that says "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

Pretty frustrating and not something Ive experienced with Tesla till this point. At least its only an AP issue, the car still drives fine, though this would be pretty maddening if it was a more serious problem.

I the OP didn't jinx my car. Delivery was 12/28/2016. Car has been solid every since I got it. I was concerned about installing 2019.8.5 because people were having problems. Then it was 2019.12.1.1 that I was reluctant to install. Both gave me no problems. I was thinking the same thing as HX_Guy. And then he posted this.:(

I have a dec 2016 car and I’m currently on a 1500 mile road trip. Been using autopilot very infrequently because the car has recently started ping ponging around in the lane pretty badly. Very noticeable, my passengers hate it. Can’t necessarily tie it to a firmware update - others aren’t reporting similar issues and I didn’t notice it right after an update. Car alignment is good and was just verified by Tesla. Wondering if something else is out of whack or needs to be calibrated somehow, but not sure where to start...

Yup that has been me up until now, I'd see others have problem and always thought weird, mine is the same year and no issues at all.

Super strange how same car on same software yet doesn't work the same.

For what it’s worth, I’m seeing the same thing. Got my car Dec. 30, ‘16. No problems on 2019.8.5, then got 2019.12.1.1 and I get the same strange braking and red hands.

Model S, Dec 15 2016 delivery. I had serious problems with 2019.8.5 with TACC and AP, sudden phantom braking and erratic speed changes. It seemed to get a bit better after a couple weeks. Recently got 2019.12.1.1 and it's much better now (crossing fingers). I don't have the problems posted above.

Model S, Dec 15 2016 delivery. I had serious problems with 2019.8.5 with TACC and AP, sudden phantom braking and erratic speed changes. It seemed to get a bit better after a couple weeks. Recently got 2019.12.1.1 and it's much better now (crossing fingers). I don't have the problems posted above.

You know, this really brings me back to the glory days of 2017. Half of everyone saying so and so update fixed everything and the other half saying it won’t stop trying to kill them. Ahhh, memories.

Spoke to my local SC abt .12 and they said if it’s glitchy, come in and they’ll reverse to previous version. Apparently they are hearing the same complaints from a tonne of owners.

My AP2 100D 2018 now drives more drunk again ever since .12. I don’t trust it.

Bought my Model S in December 2016 and have never had an issues, always wondered if I had good luck or if others just have bad luck and no bugs is the norm.

Issue seems to be with 2019.12.1.1, or at least that's when it started, could be a coincidence. Autopilot on the highway basically does not work anymore. It does work to set it, at say 75 MPH, but it does not maintain that speed. It actually starts to slow down even though there is not car in front. Additionally, after probably less than 30 seconds, I get the red hands warning to take over immediately and AP, as well as cruise control, are not longer available to activate at all. Strangely this only seems to happen on the highway, as AP works fine on local streets. I have noticed however that coming to a stop happens much more abruptly than before, closing in on the car ahead (which is stopped at a stop light) very very quickly.
I talked to the local service center and they pushed out 2019.12.1.1 to the car again, but that did not fix it.
Perhaps something with the front radar is bad?

To add, I cant seem set a service appt. Called in to service, and they said to use the Tesla app. Tried that, only to get an error that says "Your appointment could not be saved. Please try again.". Service then said to try online, which I did, only to get and error that says "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

Pretty frustrating and not something Ive experienced with Tesla till this point. At least its only an AP issue, the car still drives fine, though this would be pretty maddening if it was a more serious problem.

FYI, I reached out to support. It’s a known issue and they suggest doing both reboots(center screen using scroll wheels and the “Power Off” button and waiting 2 minutes). If that doesn’t work, just have to wait for the next update

Hello guys, I recognized all of you guys from the posts you posted in delivery thread back in the days. Also Dec 2016 delivery here. I found myself using AP less frequently now due to the issues everyone mentioned above. I hardly use AP during rush hours because of its inconsistency. I don't have any problem when I'm on road trip where not many cars are around.

I have Dec 2016 AP2 and I take exact same route and approx similar times of the day but haven't had consistent AP experience on any two days. Recently even I have noticed for no reason AP slows down the car from 80 mph to 60 mph even though there are no cars in front on in adjacent lanes. NoA is even more idiotic, completely useless lane changes. From passing land it will change lane between a truck and another car behind me and as soon as it positions in between truck and car behind me it changes lane again!

Am yet another Dec 16 S75D owner. Got 2019.12.1.1 and immediately left on a 2000 mile all interstate trip. It's TACC that's been broken. Now there are consistent braking episodes that never occurred before. I've driven this particular route a number of times before without any issues and the weather was sunny. Here's a partial list of what I experienced:

1). going down a 2-4% grade without any other vehicles around all of a sudden the speed will decrease by 5-10mph and then slowly (10+ sec) regain the speed.
2) passing a truck with me in the left lane, my car brakes down to about the same speed as the truck, stays there for 4-5 sec, then slowly speeds back up to my original speed. Easily doubles the time it takes to pass!
3). at the end of a long grade that has a dip and immediately starts up the next hill (think rolling terrain), TACC will greatly slow the speed at the dip and only slowly (10sec?) accelerate back to the original speed.
4). on four occasions at the bottom of dips TACC completely shut down, complete with the audible beeps and warning message. I don't recall TACC ever shutting down before now.

The issues are so bad I sometimes just disabled TACC on my journey. Got tired of being jostled by the needless braking.

If this is the best AI can do or the result of inept software verification I don't know...how could Tesla so badly break a system that had been working pretty well for a long time?

Reactions: am_dmd
FYI, I did both reboots last night and was able to try Navigate on Autopilot on the way to work today.

Oh. My. God. It’s like night and day. Everything was perfect. No disengagements at all, no weird slowing/stopping, lane changes are absolutely perfect(this was in Bay Area traffic with the full range between ~5mph to 70mph, with some tight and difficult lane changes).

Am yet another Dec 16 S75D owner. Got 2019.12.1.1 and immediately left on a 2000 mile all interstate trip. It's TACC that's been broken. Now there are consistent braking episodes that never occurred before. I've driven this particular route a number of times before without any issues and the weather was sunny. Here's a partial list of what I experienced:

1). going down a 2-4% grade without any other vehicles around all of a sudden the speed will decrease by 5-10mph and then slowly (10+ sec) regain the speed.
2) passing a truck with me in the left lane, my car brakes down to about the same speed as the truck, stays there for 4-5 sec, then slowly speeds back up to my original speed. Easily doubles the time it takes to pass!
3). at the end of a long grade that has a dip and immediately starts up the next hill (think rolling terrain), TACC will greatly slow the speed at the dip and only slowly (10sec?) accelerate back to the original speed.
4). on four occasions at the bottom of dips TACC completely shut down, complete with the audible beeps and warning message. I don't recall TACC ever shutting down before now.

The issues are so bad I sometimes just disabled TACC on my journey. Got tired of being jostled by the needless braking.

If this is the best AI can do or the result of inept software verification I don't know...how could Tesla so badly break a system that had been working pretty well for a long time?

Wow, weradln thanks for the post! I am having the exact same problems with my Dec 16 S75. The "rolling terrain" slowdown thing is borderline dangerous and has to be annoying to other drivers, esp. semi's (brake lights come on). I was starting to think my radar was out of alignment and now it appears to be a software issue. I'll try some reboots for now.