Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 25 years, I got stopped for no front plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got a warning for not having a front plate in Ohio once. We were on our way to a funeral for my friend and the officer gave us a hard time about the lack of the front plate. The plate was broken when someone backed into it in a parking lot, and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it. He demanded to see some kind of scars on the bumper as proof of this story, so I'm crouched down in front of the car on the highway in 100 degree weather, in my black suit, looking at the bug-splattered bumper for some evidence of scratches. It was not fun. Then I was the jerk late for my friend's funeral. :mad:

If I recall correctly, I risked the ticket and never put the plate back on out of spite.

New Mexico law bans Tesla from selling or servicing its vehicles in the state, but there's also law that says vehicles only need a rear license plate. I'd give up the latter for the former in a second, but it is nice to not ever have to worry about having a front plate.

20160322_204212[1].jpg 20160322_204024[1].jpg Salvaged nosecones are available and easy to swap!

I received a no plate warning on that same section of i35e in an Acura.

No plate for 3 years. Wasn't on purpose, the plate had fallen off along with the bracket just never fixed it.

State Trooper drove past us, he was in the fast lane. He hit the brakes and pulled in behind for the stop.

I was pulled over on I5 SB between Seattle and Olympia, WA for not having front plate on my black 2014 MS. After 10mins, I was 'released' if I accepted to get front plate installed within a week (verbal agreement). Had my poor nose cone drilled into by Portland Service center.

Planning to hold off as long as possible not getting my new 2015 MS drilled into . Looked at magnet based options and would be concerned to have it fall off when driving.

Texas has obviously set this as something to worry about. I was stopped several times for no front plate in my Ferrari and Mercedes SUV (BT, 'before Tesla') in Austin/290 corridor. No other warning given. Moved to CA 1.5 years ago and despite having every car now with no front plate, and everyone going 10-20% over the speed limit, I haven't been stopped once. Fingers crossed

Live in Ohio, where they have a front plate law. Asked for the bracket installed on my Audi about 10y ago and the sales guy looked at me like I was nuts. So I never installed it on my next car, and not on my Tesla now. The governor talked about removing the requirement about 5 years ago, but it died in the legislature. Costs a lot of $ to make those plates and I would guess that 30% of the cars I see don't use them.

During a road trip I was pulled over by State Police in Indiana. I was asked why I did not have my front license plate. I explained that Florida did not have them. he then said i was in violation because I had no inspection sticker on the drivers windshield. I explained Florida does not have them. He then asked fro my emissions certificate. I explained Florida ddi not have them and in any even the car had no engine so such a test would not be possible anyway.

All was polite, but odd. After waiting in my car for 15 minutes he returned my documents and asked me how a car could have no engine. I referred him to the Tesla website and/or a visit to the nearby Angola Supercharger.

A half-hour later I was driving through Sherwood, MI when i was again stopped, this time by village police. I supplied the requested documents, including explaining the lack of front plate. A couple of minutes later I was sent away with the comment that I had changed since high school. The village cop had attended high school with me in a nearby village. he alleged that we'd had a bet about who had the fastest car, and assured me that his was. I suggested he should look up the P85D. A couple hours later he said I'd won the bet.

I never had a front plate in CA during decades living there.