Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 3 months and a couple days with a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The assessments are in 3 categories:
  • Dangerous, i.e. it tried to kills us
  • Totally boneheaded
  • Poor
Dangerous: tried to kill us 8 times
  • the first 6 attempts - seat heater
    • an update during the week of Dec 20th turned the heated seat control until emergency braking. We drove out with the heated seats on high (3 bars) and turned onto a 25 MPH street in our neighborhood. The street fortunately was completely empty of vehicles. While around 20 MPH we decided to turn down the seat heat, each tap on the heated seat control jammed on the brakes. Took 3 taps on each control to turn off the seats. Fortunately my foot was on the accelerator pedal so I was able to quickly counteract each brake jab.
  • the next 2 attempts - red light stopping
    • had cruise control on, (this seems to be required for automatic red light braking, at least on our car)
    • cars front and back, driving at 45mph in a 45mph zone
    • 1st red light, nice normal stop followed by a quick tap on the brake pedal to get going again
    • 2nd red light, same action
    • 3rd light was green but the car treated it as red, fortunately the following car quickly hit their brakes before hitting us and I was able to quickly press the throttle
    • 4th light, also green, well you can guess what happened. I was better prepared to hit the throttle and was also able to pull off the road to deactivate the system.
Totally Boneheaded
  • GPS navigation
    • anyone who takes trips with a car knows that an internet connection for downloading maps is a terrible solution. Just driving from Lyons to Estes Park CO, the system lost the maps for about half of the trip.
    • who thought that light grey lines on a light grey background would be quick and easy to read? The reverse is true at night, even more useless. Fortunately I have HereWeGo on my phone with all the US and Canada on the phone, under 6GB.
    • I never thought to see a worse navigation system than the one in our 2001 and 2014 Mercedes but this one is the worst I've ever used. It is a piece of @#$%^
  • Front License Plate Mount
    • manufacturers have known how to mount front license plates for close to 100 years but after 17 years, Tesla still hasn't got it figured out.
Poor
  • the throttle
    • it has 2 settings, jerky and a switch. Why not a nice smooth linear setting? This is an electronic throttle, no excuse for this setup.
  • Frunk closing
    • really Tesla, you don't know how to make a proper closure for a trunk? Even a Yugo has a trunk lid that works.
  • Lane keeping
    • like the fit and finish problems, I didn't expect this to work reliably and it doesn't. It activates less than 10% of the time. Elon, go drive a MB or Cadillac from the past 3-5 years to see how it should work. True it doesn't work well on most cars but you have no excuse with all your autopilot magic claims.
  • autopilot alerts
    • we have the autopilot hardware but not the software. If the cruise control is on, with the road completely empty of cars, it repeatedly tells me to take control (I have both hands on the wheel and my foot above the throttle). I'm dead center in the lane on a wide road. After several notifications, it tells me that it has deactivated the autopilot system and that it might reactive the next time we start the car (whatever start means). It is worse at night when them temp is below about 40 Degrees F but happens other times as well.
Net: do we regret buying the car. Absolutely! But we can't afford to replace it so we're stuck.

Since you are stuck with the car, may I suggest some things to consider:

- Get an appointment for Service to check the heater/brake malfunction, and have them check AP/camera calibration - sound suspicious that Lane Keeping only works 10% of engaging in well marked lanes.

And navigation downloads maps before hand (on wi-fi) not during every trip - not sure why yours bahave like that.

- If you have FSD (Full Self Driving), even the 3 month trial, your car will, if you have angaged Auto Pilot, stop at any given Stop Light with a warning that it will stop at about 600 ft and again at 400 ft (IIRC) - unless you acknowledge that it is a “go” by tapping the accelerator or pushing down (once) on the gear selector stalk. It will go thru a green light if your car was following another thru the intersection. It will stop at any stop sign.

- Are you talking about the nag to hold the wheel (about every 30 seconds or mile travelled) while on AP? If yes, that is normal behavior to remind drivers that they are still responsible for controlling the car. It will deactivate after several missed reminders.

So, if it’s still nagging you even when you are holding (with pressure) the steering wheel. again, this is something Service should look into.

I hope your issues gets resolved. Good Luck!

You should get a different car. If you think the navigation is worse than Mercedes you’ll never be happy with this car. I have a Y and a 2021 GLS and the Mercedes user interface is so vastly inferior to Tesla it feels 10 years behind. But the fit and finish on the Mercedes is twice as good and it’s twice as comfortable to drive. I happen to love both cars but the Y isn’t for everyone and it’s just not for you. So move on.

It looks like you don't know how to operate the car. Tell me if you have yet read the user manual. I feel like you don't know how regenerative braking works (you probably release the go pedal when you press the seat heater button). For autopilot, the car stops at the intersection even on green unless there's a leading car on an older software version. You probably don't know this and many other things, like why the car lock you out from using autopilot again. This enough tells me how knowledgeable you are on autopilot. I have never get locked out in 2.5 years using autopilot.

Depending on which software version is installed on the car, your car can operate differently. The latest software version does remove confirmation on a green light. Please educate yourself with the user manual first before complaining since you lack the knowledge on how the car operates.

Last edited:
These are not normal problems. It sounds like the car is not operating properly and perhaps that you don't fully understand how to use it as well. It sounds like you need to take it to a service center to see what's going on as others have suggested. Would also recommend reading about how autopilot works. The functions have changed over time.

Last edited:
Honestly, this just sounds like a troll, and I don't say that lightly. The phantom braking can be a real issue, but I think there is 0 chance that messing with the seat heaters triggers it.

I can see why some of these sound like potential service issues, but if chill acceleration feels jerky the problem probably isn't the car.

There are just too many unrelated issues for this to sound probable.

• Totally boneheaded
  • Poor
    • an update during the week of Dec 20th turned the heated seat control until emergency braking. We drove out with the heated seats on high (3 bars) and turned onto a 25 MPH street in our neighborhood. The street fortunately was completely empty of vehicles. While around 20 MPH we decided to turn down the seat heat, each tap on the heated seat control jammed on the brakes. Took 3 taps on each control to turn off the seats. Fortunately my foot was on the accelerator pedal so I was able to quickly counteract each brake jab.
    • had cruise control on, (this seems to be required for automatic red light braking, at least on our car)
    • 1st red light, nice normal stop followed by a quick tap on the brake pedal to get going again
    • 3rd light was green but the car treated it as red, fortunately the following car quickly hit their brakes before hitting us and I was able to quickly press the throttle
    • 4th light, also green, well you can guess what happened. I was better prepared to hit the throttle and was also able to pull off the road to deactivate the system.
Totally Boneheaded
  • GPS navigation
    • anyone who takes trips with a car knows that an internet connection for downloading maps is a terrible solution. Just driving from Lyons to Estes Park CO, the system lost the maps for about half of the trip.
    • who thought that light grey lines on a light grey background would be quick and easy to read? The reverse is true at night, even more useless. Fortunately I have HereWeGo on my phone with all the US and Canada on the phone, under 6GB.
    • I never thought to see a worse navigation system than the one in our 2001 and 2014 Mercedes but this one is the worst I've ever used. It is a piece of @#$%^
    • manufacturers have known how to mount front license plates for close to 100 years but after 17 years, Tesla still hasn't got it figured out.
Poor
  • the throttle
    • it has 2 settings, jerky and a switch. Why not a nice smooth linear setting? This is an electronic throttle, no excuse for this setup.
  • Frunk closing
    • really Tesla, you don't know how to make a proper closure for a trunk? Even a Yugo has a trunk lid that works.
  • Lane keeping
    • like the fit and finish problems, I didn't expect this to work reliably and it doesn't. It activates less than 10% of the time. Elon, go drive a MB or Cadillac from the past 3-5 years to see how it should work. True it doesn't work well on most cars but you have no excuse with all your autopilot magic claims.
  • autopilot alerts
    • we have the autopilot hardware but not the software. If the cruise control is on, with the road completely empty of cars, it repeatedly tells me to take control (I have both hands on the wheel and my foot above the throttle). I'm dead center in the lane on a wide road. After several notifications, it tells me that it has deactivated the autopilot system and that it might reactive the next time we start the car (whatever start means). It is worse at night when them temp is below about 40 Degrees F but happens other times as well.
Net: do we regret buying the car. Absolutely! But we can't afford to replace it so we're stuck.
Complete bonehead. I didn’t bother to finish the post . Who needs fricken gps to drive from Lyons to Estes? The world is not 100% covered with emf. Mountains, valleys, and curves exist. Get used to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsight and kevin1

You can't afford to replace it? o_O How about starting with service first.

If a vehicle almost killed me 8x you can bet your arse I wouldn't be stuck with it, even if I was broke and bitter about everything Tesla. Based on your prior posts you've been moaning about everything outside of the key safety issues you've highlighted here.

Post has to be a troll or OP doesn’t know how to work the car or I’m reading it really wrong. First he complains about it acting stupid for red/green lights then later says he has autopilot hardware but not the software. All the Y have autopilot ( which is basically just cruise control) so he does have AP software, he probably means no enhanced autopilot or no FSD which means he is lucky HE hasn’t killed someone at a red light/green light, never mind the car trying to do it since the basic autopilot doesn’t react to traffic lights.

Post has to be a troll or OP doesn’t know how to work the car or I’m reading it really wrong. First he complains about it acting stupid for red/green lights then later says he has autopilot hardware but not the software. All the Y have autopilot ( which is basically just cruise control) so he does have AP software, he probably means no enhanced autopilot or no FSD which means he is lucky HE hasn’t killed someone at a red light/green light, never mind the car trying to do it since the basic autopilot doesn’t react to traffic lights.

You might be correct on this. He has basic auto pilot and try to use it on local street going through intersections. I bet he doesn't know the criteria as when he can turn on autopilot (e.g. the gray steering wheel appears on the screen). I bet he just blindly turns it on even there is no visible lane markings in sight. This is why he's only getting 10% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
  • "the throttle
    • it has 2 settings, jerky and a switch. Why not a nice smooth linear setting? This is an electronic throttle, no excuse for this setup."
For sure, the throttle is sensitive. It requires getting used to, but it's far from "jerky" for me, after just a few miles. It remains to be seen if my wife can handle it. She detests the one-pedal concept and feel, and can't get used to the rather extreme regen that occurs if you mindlessly lift quickly.

OP: Sell the car.

Seat heaters controlled your brakes? Come on.. I am all for holding Tesla's feet to the fire over many, many issues, but this one is hard to take seriously.

I once had a Suburban that was vandalized. One of the things the vandals had done was reach under the dashboard and pull free almost all of the wiring. I was driving home on the night and picked it up and tried to adjust the dashboard lights. Nothing happened. I tried again, and noticed that as I spun the switch the fuel gauge would change. I had a truck that would never run out of fuel!

So, of course I believe that the seat heaters would apply brakes.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsight
I once had a Suburban that was vandalized. One of the things the vandals had done was reach under the dashboard and pull free almost all of the wiring. I was driving home on the night and picked it up and tried to adjust the dashboard lights. Nothing happened. I tried again, and noticed that as I spun the switch the fuel gauge would change. I had a truck that would never run out of fuel!

So, of course I believe that the seat heaters would apply brakes.
Needless to say, Tesla’s are not setup the same. This can’t be a matter of “wires being crossed under the dash.”

It’s pretty clear that this is a joke post from OP given the descriptions of some of their “issues.” If its serious, I’d be worried about this person’s ability to confidently control a motor vehicle enough for them to be on the road.

• the throttle
I got to ask... Are you the type of drive that has an unsteady foot when on the gas pedal of an ICE vehicle? Meaning you step on the gas and take your foot off the gas repeatedly as you drive down the road giving your passengers a headache? Have someone else drive your car and see if this problem goes away.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
  • Totally boneheaded
  • Poor
Totally Boneheaded
  • GPS navigation
Poor
  • the throttle
  • Frunk closing
  • Lane keeping
  • autopilot alerts

Given multiple attempts on your and your family's life, I recommend you immediately go to your local court house and seek a Protective Order against this incompetent assassin. BTW, our MX and M3 have saved my life numerous times over the last thee years of ownership.

• Funny
Reactions: jsight