Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 4+ years now have a odd knocking sound. Please advise...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

Approaching 5 years with my s85. Have 85,000 miles on her... About 3 months ago I started to notice a fairly quiet knocking sound. It is hard to describe but I will do my best. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the car. I cannot tell if it is in front of me or behind. It sounds like a diesel engine knock. It's not too loud and the radio can easily drown it out. I notice it when I am driving slow, like in parking lots. Turning or bumps don't effect the noise. Acceleration or braking doesn't either. I can be just driving 10 mph in a straight line and it will just be knocking away. I notice the noise getting a bit louder over the past months.

I thought the sway bar end link loose or broken. (I had the SC look into it and thy came up with nothing)

I wanted to give a shout out to the community to see if anyone had experienced this and if you found any solutions.

Thanks in advance!

John

Hi All!

Approaching 5 years with my s85. Have 85,000 miles on her... About 3 months ago I started to notice a fairly quiet knocking sound. It is hard to describe but I will do my best. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the car. I cannot tell if it is in front of me or behind. It sounds like a diesel engine knock. It's not too loud and the radio can easily drown it out. I notice it when I am driving slow, like in parking lots. Turning or bumps don't effect the noise. Acceleration or braking doesn't either. I can be just driving 10 mph in a straight line and it will just be knocking away. I notice the noise getting a bit louder over the past months.

I thought the sway bar end link loose or broken. (I had the SC look into it and thy came up with nothing)

I wanted to give a shout out to the community to see if anyone had experienced this and if you found any solutions.

Thanks in advance!

John

Guessing rear CV joint. Did SC do test drive or only look at sway bar?

Good question. I am not sure. They said they "tightened everything up, but didn't find anything loose". When I told it to the SC I was going for another issue and the sound was very faint and I only had been noticing it for a few days.

I am out of warranty so I pay to take it to the SC. I am confident I am not the only one experiencing this so hopefully we can work together to provide low/no cost solutions to these and other issues. Many times it is something simple.

John

Good question. I am not sure. They said they "tightened everything up, but didn't find anything loose". When I told it to the SC I was going for another issue and the sound was very faint and I only had been noticing it for a few days.

I am out of warranty so I pay to take it to the SC. I am confident I am not the only one experiencing this so hopefully we can work together to provide low/no cost solutions to these and other issues. Many times it is something simple.

John

I'm the type to have out of warranty cars :). If it happens at low speed, can you have someone walk along side to narrow down the location? Other thing to check is the amount of slop/ noise when shifting from drive to reverse.