Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 4 years of ownership do you plan to keep your tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didnt want to mix this question with another one i posted today.

So, i have convinced my wife that Tesla is better car then our Accord, reliable and its fun to drive too.
But she asked me this - Ok , we will buy Tesla but in next 6-8 years no more car change. (she is mad because we just got 2018 accord touring which i want to trade for Tesla )
Now, i know Tesla will give us 4 years warranty. After that extension is possible but costly.
I would also like to keep my Tesla for 10 years if possible. Why not...
But after warranty period of 4 years how i will be able to afford to keep it if just screen replacement is 4000$ i heard?
In 4 years who knows how my financial situation will be .
Is there any option to buy extended warrany right now and get better price then doing it later?

Extended Service Agreement

Only you can decide if this is right for you or not. Many forum posts have been written about this, and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses, both for and against getting the extended warranty.

Bruce.

Is that a typo? Shouldn't it be 4 years 50,000 miles?
Capture.PNG

Does that mean near the end of the service agreement you could ask for a full refund if you haven't had any claims?:
Capture3.PNG

Does that mean near the end of the service agreement you could ask for a full refund if you haven't had any claims?:

No, it means if you haven’t had any claims, the refund is based on a strictly time-prorated amount.

If you HAVE had claims, the value of those claims comes out first. So for example, if you pay $4250 for the 4 year ESA and have a $4250 claim in the first year, you can’t ask for a prorated refund in year 2 and get $2125 back in your pocket.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
...But after warranty period of 4 years how i will be able to afford to keep it if just screen replacement is 4000$ i heard?...

That's why I paid for the extended warranty. In general, that's a waste of money but in my case, I paid a fraction of the actual repair cost. The $9,000 of total repairs cost me zero additional dollars after I paid a set known amount of extended warranty price in advance.

Tesla's repair should be cheap but the problem is it's a monopoly (again, that's why I bought the extended warranty.)

Tesla would charge you more than $2,000-$2800 for an onboard Model S charger but if you know how to fix it yourself, it could cost you only about $20 by replacing its fuse by yourself!

...she is mad because we just got 2018 accord touring ...

This is an advice and not a threat: Please listen to your wife! She is correct! You might regret if not listening to your wife.

You should negotiate about when you will be able to get a Tesla in future but right now might be too soon after a major purchase.

If you are on a tight budget, maybe switching your goal to $35,000 Model 3 might be more reasonable for a negotiation session.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and PhilDavid
Keeping my P85D until something better comes along (Taycan maybe). Upgrading to a new Model S is not worth it to me from any angle. Extended warranty also not worth it for me- (if I buy it for both our cars, that's almost $9K which I could set aside for any repairs, plus I can do some repairs myself cheaper than the SC. Hoping the car will last until I sell it. Have 5 months warranty left.

This is an advice and not a threat: Please listen to your wife! She is correct! You might regret if not listening to your wife.

You should negotiate about when will you can get a Tesla in future but right now might be too soon after a major purchase.

If you are on a tight budget, maybe switching your goal to $35,000 Model 3 might be more reasonable for a negotiation session.

Maybe u are right. In 2 years my Honda will be worth 20.000 (Carmax value 26k now) and Tesla I like now maybe 38.000 (50k now). And all this to save "only" 6000 $ waiting 2 years
But that's 2 years without owning Tesla, and life is short :)

Reactions: GSP
I'm close to 5 years with my Model S. My warranty ran out after just over a year as I passed 50k miles. Nothing expensive so far and I have driven 185k miles now. I have not done a single official service. The extended warranty would have been a total waste because I drive so many miles. I had a few small things that I fixed myself. You can get most parts on eBay now. The real expensive stuff is the drive train and battery. Both have 8 years warranty so no worries there.

As things stand today, I ONLY want to own electric cars from now on. I don't see any viable options to Tesla (that check all the boxes, performance, range, infrastructure, style etc...). My anxiety comes from whether or not I can afford to keep changing my car every 8-10 years at these prices. A new S100D is about 150k up here so it becomes challenging.

So, I plan to keep my current S90D for another 6-7 years (assuming no massive problems or accidents). I am sure by then, the world of electric cars will look a lot different than it does today.

I’ve had a fair amount of warranty work done that was only a minor inconvenience, but would have been either a major hassle or major expense or both if I’d had to do the work myself or pay retail. (CID replacement, multiple door handles, trunk latch, sunroof drain.) As such, I plan to splash out for the extended warranty in a couple months.

• Helpful
Reactions: suwaneedad
I have a 2015 S 85D with 72,000 miles.
I did not buy the extended warranty.
Other than a few minor things which were fixed under warranty, I've not had any repair expenses. I've replaced tires and windshield wipers but that's it for maintenance. (Also, I haven't spent any money on "fuel". I have free electricity from solar PV at home and free Supercharging on the road.)
I plan on keeping the car "forever". There's really not much to wear out. It is possible that I'll have some rare problem but I doubt it. The car is mostly computers and my experience with computers is that they last forever. I have piles of old computers and screens all of which are perfectly operational. Electric motors have just two bearings and they tend to run for many years even in continuous duty. Might have to replace the brake pads some day after a few hundred thousand miles.
Tesla's technology will continue to improve but I'm happy with my AP1 and don't feel I need to have the latest tech. The car's styling is timeless. (Similar to the design of the Porsche 911 which has had essentially the same lines for 55 years.)
FWIW, that's my opinion. I've always tended to keep my cars a long time. It's expensive to sell them after just a few years and the cost to keep them is small... even for maintenance heavy ICE cars. I've kept my ICE cars about 200,000 miles. The Tesla should go much further. My other car which I use for deep snow, off roading and trips to the dump is a 2000 Land Rover with 190,000 miles. When it dies I'll probably replace it with a Tesla pickup, Bollinger B1 or similar EV.

The value of having a warranty is that it protects you from the pain of having significant expensive repairs. It is not intended to be a value proposition that if you have no issues it will be money wasted.

For all expensive manufactured items their is inherent risk that something may go wrong. It is the purpose of the warranty that if you have bad luck with yours, then the warranty will cover the costs.

There is now way to know, with any certainty, whether or not your specific vehicle will have warranty covered expenses greater than your cost of the warranty. Kind of a peace of mind thing.

I plan to drive my X until I see what the Model Y looks like. Will decide then to purchase another X, purchase a Model Y or shop another manufacturer, but I see only EVs in my future.

Another item that may change all our minds is the roll out of automated vehices, ordered on an as needed basis. Sort of a driverless Uber. This may be the last personally owned vehicle many of us ever purchase.

Right, a boughten warranty is just like any other kind of insurance policy: gambling. If you think you can beat the house, or if playing the game makes you feel good and you can afford it, go for it. :) (I mean, "playing the game" in the case of a warranty means "not having to concern yourself with the cost of individual repairs", a lot more abstract than playing the slots or the ponies even though it's in the same general space.)