Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 4 years of ownership do you plan to keep your tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, as I think about ESA I'm curious to hear from anyone else in the situation of living in a benighted state like mine that doesn't permit Tesla Service Centers. My experience so far has been Tesla waives any Ranger fee for warranty issues, likewise waives any transport fee for taking my car in to SC for warranty work the Ranger couldn't handle (that's only been needed once). Do they follow this same practice with the ESA? If they charged a Ranger surcharge for ESA work, that would really decrease its value to me.
AFAIK there's no option to omit the center console.
I wondered if I was the only one who found the center console to be... not an upgrade. My wife loves everything about her Model 3 except the console, she envies my yacht floor. I think she's right.

Reactions: GSP and thecloud
Reactions: Ghosty and jgs
Probably too many other tempting EV's by then. Wouldn't be scared of keeping it after 4 years unless it was having issues throughout.

It's not the other tempting EVs by then but rather if there are other tempting charging networks.

So far no other company has come close and the gap only seems to be widening. Yes there are standard out there which would work in mass but nobody is deploying banks of 12 to 40 charging stalls across 500+ locations which will be 1500+ locations in a few more years.

...If they charged a Ranger surcharge for ESA work...

Whatever works in standard warranty would continue pretty much the same over on ESA with very few differences.

The main difference is $200 deductible for each visit for ESA. Many owners have reported that they do pay the deductibles but a few also reported that ESA visits have been free. So the deductibles seem to be a case by case basis.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
I didnt want to mix this question with another one i posted today.

So, i have convinced my wife that Tesla is better car then our Accord, reliable and its fun to drive too.
But she asked me this - Ok , we will buy Tesla but in next 6-8 years no more car change. (she is mad because we just got 2018 accord touring which i want to trade for Tesla )
Now, i know Tesla will give us 4 years warranty. After that extension is possible but costly.
I would also like to keep my Tesla for 10 years if possible. Why not...
But after warranty period of 4 years how i will be able to afford to keep it if just screen replacement is 4000$ i heard?
In 4 years who knows how my financial situation will be .
Is there any option to buy extended warrany right now and get better price then doing it later?
when I bought my Tesla 3 years ago I thought I might wind up with a another car about now, but there's nothing else that is coming out I want. I think I'll just probably wind up keeping a Tesla for six to eight years. The other car manufactures are slow coming up with anything exciting.

Yes, I plan to keep it until I can't drive it anymore.

With my first car (not a Tesla), I was going to upgrade after a few years. By the time I got my second car, a Honda, I expected to keep it till it stopped working. However, after 7 years, I didn't need a car so I gave it to my family. It's still running at 14 years.

I expect to keep the S until it doesn't run or I don't need it. My dream scenario is to replace it with the new Roadster.

Reactions: CliffG and docherf
I too have a late 14 S60 just about to hit 50k miles and battery charges to about 198-203 so not too bad in terms of degradation. Hows your battery doing?
Mine is about 181-184 RM at 99%, which is as high as it charges. 67k miles and more than 266 Supercharging stops.

I was told by service earlier this year that my 60 battery was in the 80 to 85th percentile compared to other S60s, so better than average. However, that was more than 15k miles ago.

I will own it for as long as it has a warranty. So 4 years w/o paying to extend it (but I certainly might tack on another 2 years worth of warranty).

I've been in the shop enough the first 20 months of ownership to know that there is no way on earth I want to own this thing when I am footing the repair bill.

I will own it for as long as it has a warranty. So 4 years w/o paying to extend it (but I certainly might tack on another 2 years worth of warranty).

I've been in the shop enough the first 20 months of ownership to know that there is no way on earth I want to own this thing when I am footing the repair bill.

How was your experience with Las Vegas shop?
It will be my shop too once I get my Tesla

As things stand today, I ONLY want to own electric cars from now on. I don't see any viable options to Tesla (that check all the boxes, performance, range, infrastructure, style etc...). My anxiety comes from whether or not I can afford to keep changing my car every 8-10 years at these prices. A new S100D is about 150k up here so it becomes challenging.

Exactly my conundrum. I had just convinced myself to go without the extended warranty.
But then, on the same day I picked up my car from the in depth 4th annual service, I get my car home and the big battery dies and needs to be replaced. This marked the 3rd time in 4 years I was left, unexpectedly, without the services of my car, cementing it as the least reliable car I've ever owned. Decided given its history and the multitude of other problems it could have that the ESA would be a prudent purchase.

I'd like to drive it for 10-15+ years, but I couldn't fathom owning it outside of warranty. Despite how well it has held its value compared to other cars in its price range, I'm wondering if the depreciation significantly accelerates once its no longer covered under the battery warranty. Starting to question whether I'd be better off trading it now and getting good value for it that can go towards a newer vehicle.

Looks like the Tesla does better on depreciation than other luxury cars
https://electrek.co/2016/09/13/tesl...ading-segment-losing-only-28-after-50k-miles/
value-retention-study-autolist.png

I wonder how this graph will look once a lot of cars get passed that 8 year battery warranty tho.

My anxiety comes from whether or not I can afford to keep changing my car every 8-10 years at these prices.
If prices haven't come down, and competition increased, in 8-10 years, something is very wrong. As a first baby step, we have the Model 3 which in certain ways is a nicer car than the Model S for less money.

Of course, we can expect Tesla to continue to try to upsell us to the next very expensive product, by making it compelling in some way. But as fates worse than death go, I've heard of worse.

I won't upgrade until something better comes along, and right now...there isn't anything better. I'm done with ICE forever and I won't give up autopilot or my range. I don't enjoy roadtripping with the Tesla personally, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about giving up the tesla super charger network, but I'd say that's still an option for me to consider. I'll be watching other makers carefully to see what they come up with.

When bitcoin was doing well, I almost reserved a roadster. Glad I didn't, looking back. I think someone else will have an attractive offering at a more reasonable price by then. I'd like to have some interior upgrades on my next car, that I just don't think Tesla will have nailed down by then. I expect I'll wait another 3 years and then hop into a Taycan or something.

After 3.5 years of ownership and 40K miles, I just had my first repair experience under the Tesla waranty.
The front right door handle would not open and a Ranger completed the repair with new parts in 1 hour.
I am still on the fence about purchasing the extended warranty plan... with 6 months left to decide. :cool:

No, not getting the extended warranty. My son and I are going to talk my husband into trading in the 2018 MS P100D for a new roadster;)

Our other car is a 1997 Honda Civic that shows no signs of dying. Still runs great on routine maintenance and never had a repair bill greater than $400. Completely worry free and I park on the street. Too many scratches and minor dings to count. Don’t care:)

I really LOVE the Tesla though. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. If I “just” wanted a reliable car - we would have got another Honda.