Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 5 months TACC, NOA, FSD unusable. Tesla can't fix, won't explain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since April my Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Navigate on Autopilot, and auto-steer haven't worked at highway speeds. I've noticed others on the forums with HW 2.0 vehicles bought late 2016 / early 2017 complained of the same issue as of this spring. For me the issue showed up with 2019.12.x pushed in the days following the "Tesla Autonomy Investors" event. The car previously handled speeds up to 80 mph, and executed lane changes on NOA (70% success rate maybe). After I received the update following the event in April my car hasn't been able to execute any cruise control, auto-steer or FSD/EAP features above 60-65 mph. On slow city streets where I can engage cruise control it regularly slows down (from 50mph to 40s for example) or fails with an error.

I brought the issue to Teslas attention right away. I called into support while experiencing the errors on the highway and was told that after nearly a week of driving the side cameras showed as 'calibrating'. The phone tech then told me it looked to be some sort of hardware failure and I should make a service appointment. I make a service appointment and highlight the AP/TACC issue. The car is returned to me with other warranty work performed but notes saying they tried moving the bumper around, tested it on the highway, but couldn't do anything about the cruise control and other computer failures. I'm advised its a 'known bug' and will be fixed "in a future update". I wait and over the course of a few weeks receive several additional software updates but none of them make any progress on the issue. I open another service case because the issue is not being fixed. I'm told in a text from a member of the virtual team my cameras are misaligned and a new bracket must be installed at my nearest service center, ~ 80 miles away. The day of the appointment I bring in my car personally and speak with the tech, we take a drive where the car immediately throws errors and slows to ~30s mph in a 45mph zone for no reason. After an hour with my car he tells me that he verified the cameras are aligned and will not alter any hardware. He says something I have heard before that it is a 'known firmware bug'. I asked for a specific bug ID for the issue within their ticketing system, or a description of the known malfunction within the vehicle and what part(s) are affected, and either an estimate of when it would be fixed or a statement that they could not offer me any timeline on a resolution. I was told he is " not legally allowed to provide that information". I don't know of any law like this and it sounds like he's being directed to conceal the information. I have tried submitting support emails and they go unanswered.

At this point it's now the 5th month my vehicle hasn't even had cruise control on the highway. I'm told that I'm not allowed to know what the malfunction in my vehicle is, even though it affects safety and convince features. This is a unique enough issue that something in my vehicle is not performing to spec, or failing. It has also been experienced by others. People I speak to claim there are specifics about the malfunction but they are not allowed to provide them. I've even tried appealing to Tesla and Elon on twitter to try and get any type of visibility. My most recent service appointment was rejected and my concern sent to the 'virtual team'. My only point of contact is a Twilio number that hasn't returned a response in 9 days. Even if I wanted to sell the car and be done with it at this point I'd be trying to sell a FSD preowned vehicle without cruise control and a known problem.

I'm not sure what my options are at this point beyond some type of arbitration or buyback process. I've seen some details from others on their arbitration for other issues, but I'm not sure if it's my best option.

To head off a few things I've heard before:
- Sentry mode is off (it's 2.0 anyway so none of that actually works)
- I don't have a charging balance, it has free lifetime supercharging
- it's an FSD prepaid vehicle where all the newest features worked ~ to some capacity ~ before

I've embedded videos I've made over the summer documenting the issues as well as the responses from service.
Tesla

Someone else on this forum (something like @hxguy I believe, but for some reason I can’t tag) had this same problem and Tesla threw a boatload of parts at it to eventually fix - close to all the cameras, radar, etc as I recall.

Seemed like they were just throwing parts at it without really knowing what was going on, but they did eventually fix it. I imagine they decided that’s not sustainable and have bought themselves time with the “known bug” excuse.

It’s a shame Tesla has become so customer-hostile. Unfortunately I think the only way to get their attention these days is the arbitration process. There’s very little downside for you. If you’re not getting responsiveness after several months, you should probably do it.

Reactions: Chaserr
You should look at your local state lemon law and send Tesla the initial written notice that almost all states require.

Typically, under these laws, the manufacturer has a limited period of time (30-60 days) to fix the problem.

You need to start this process now, because most states limit the lemon law period to the first year of ownership.

Document everything and follow the law carefully. Most claims that fail are because people don't properly document or make the claim. In my experience, manufacturers will typically not want to arbitrate or litigate and will offer to buy back your car.

Since April my Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Navigate on Autopilot, and auto-steer haven't worked at highway speeds. I've noticed others on the forums with HW 2.0 vehicles bought late 2016 / early 2017 complained of the same issue as of this spring. For me the issue showed up with 2019.12.x pushed in the days following the "Tesla Autonomy Investors" event. The car previously handled speeds up to 80 mph, and executed lane changes on NOA (70% success rate maybe). After I received the update following the event in April my car hasn't been able to execute any cruise control, auto-steer or FSD/EAP features above 60-65 mph. On slow city streets where I can engage cruise control it regularly slows down (from 50mph to 40s for example) or fails with an error.

I brought the issue to Teslas attention right away. I called into support while experiencing the errors on the highway and was told that after nearly a week of driving the side cameras showed as 'calibrating'. The phone tech then told me it looked to be some sort of hardware failure and I should make a service appointment. I make a service appointment and highlight the AP/TACC issue. The car is returned to me with other warranty work performed but notes saying they tried moving the bumper around, tested it on the highway, but couldn't do anything about the cruise control and other computer failures. I'm advised its a 'known bug' and will be fixed "in a future update". I wait and over the course of a few weeks receive several additional software updates but none of them make any progress on the issue. I open another service case because the issue is not being fixed. I'm told in a text from a member of the virtual team my cameras are misaligned and a new bracket must be installed at my nearest service center, ~ 80 miles away. The day of the appointment I bring in my car personally and speak with the tech, we take a drive where the car immediately throws errors and slows to ~30s mph in a 45mph zone for no reason. After an hour with my car he tells me that he verified the cameras are aligned and will not alter any hardware. He says something I have heard before that it is a 'known firmware bug'. I asked for a specific bug ID for the issue within their ticketing system, or a description of the known malfunction within the vehicle and what part(s) are affected, and either an estimate of when it would be fixed or a statement that they could not offer me any timeline on a resolution. I was told he is " not legally allowed to provide that information". I don't know of any law like this and it sounds like he's being directed to conceal the information. I have tried submitting support emails and they go unanswered.

At this point it's now the 5th month my vehicle hasn't even had cruise control on the highway. I'm told that I'm not allowed to know what the malfunction in my vehicle is, even though it affects safety and convince features. This is a unique enough issue that something in my vehicle is not performing to spec, or failing. It has also been experienced by others. People I speak to claim there are specifics about the malfunction but they are not allowed to provide them. I've even tried appealing to Tesla and Elon on twitter to try and get any type of visibility. My most recent service appointment was rejected and my concern sent to the 'virtual team'. My only point of contact is a Twilio number that hasn't returned a response in 9 days. Even if I wanted to sell the car and be done with it at this point I'd be trying to sell a FSD preowned vehicle without cruise control and a known problem.

I'm not sure what my options are at this point beyond some type of arbitration or buyback process. I've seen some details from others on their arbitration for other issues, but I'm not sure if it's my best option.

- it's an FSD prepaid vehicle where all the newest features worked ~ to some capacity ~ before

I've embedded videos I've made over the summer documenting the issues as well as the responses from service.
Tesla

Reactions: goRt
It's possible some of the issues you are seeing are software problems that may be impacting other Tesla vehicles on the same road in areas where the data is providing an incorrect speed limit to the AP software, impacting TACC, AutoSteer and NOAP.

Especially in areas with recent construction, the speed the software is using can be incorrect, resulting in rapid braking to a lower speed (even while just running on TACC) and limiting AP use to 5 MPH above the incorrect speed limit.

With roads where lanes have been recently moved or added, the software appears to believe the vehicle is on a different road (such as when new lanes have recently been added to a highway, moving over the slower speed frontage roads - or an exit ramp. I've noticed that moving into the original lanes seems to correct this issue.

I periodically drive on two highways that have had recent or have current construction, and have almost given up even on using just TACC because of the incorrect speed adjustments.

These problems got worse when Tesla added "fleet speed" which seems to slow the vehicle based on speeds used by other Tesla vehicles on the same road - which may not be valid based on the current driving/road conditions.

It might be worthwhile to see if other Tesla vehicles are seeing these issues on the same roads.

It's possible some of the issues you are seeing are software problems that may be impacting other Tesla vehicles on the same road in areas where the data is providing an incorrect speed limit to the AP software, impacting TACC, AutoSteer and NOAP.

Especially in areas with recent construction, the speed the software is using can be incorrect, resulting in rapid braking to a lower speed (even while just running on TACC) and limiting AP use to 5 MPH above the incorrect speed limit.

With roads where lanes have been recently moved or added, the software appears to believe the vehicle is on a different road (such as when new lanes have recently been added to a highway, moving over the slower speed frontage roads - or an exit ramp. I've noticed that moving into the original lanes seems to correct this issue.

I periodically drive on two highways that have had recent or have current construction, and have almost given up even on using just TACC because of the incorrect speed adjustments.

These problems got worse when Tesla added "fleet speed" which seems to slow the vehicle based on speeds used by other Tesla vehicles on the same road - which may not be valid based on the current driving/road conditions.

It might be worthwhile to see if other Tesla vehicles are seeing these issues on the same roads.

Look at the roads he is driving on. Pristine highways. It's not supposed to flicker on / off like that. So it has to be a sensor issue.

Reactions: Chaserr and dsnows

Tesla

OK first of all I love my Tesla Model S, late 2016 with EAP 2.0 and FSD. It is just the best car I have ever hoped to own. However I just returned from my first road trip -- Chicago-Toronto return...and AP was close to useless and TACC way to herky jerky. All the problems mentioned here, especially with shadows from trees and signs and underpasses -- definitely the car slowed abruptly approaching underspasses so much so it was better to not use the features. This was seriously disappointing and from what I have read here, something Tesla isn't going to fix even though it's part of a knows firmware bug. What else can be done?

Reactions: dsnows

Tesla

That's strange since others have had similar issue, and it was fixed by shimming the front cameras. May be that Tesla is releasing a SW fix that removes the need to realign the cameras. Bad communications though.

What could be wrong? Both Autopilot and Cruise not working at high speed

My problem was fairly simple. They changed the mounting plate for the front cameras in the windshield and changed the camera tilt/angle. Now everything works. The car did have to sit at the service center for a day and a half waiting for the autopilot expert. Before my appointment they asked me to give them examples of when autopilot did not work--time and route. When I was at the service center they even asked what lane I was in when it did not work. From the data they were able to determine the problem.

I have a similar problem, but the sudden slowing seems to mostly happen at the bottom of dips in the road. Also occasionally when going under an overpass. Occasionally AP/TACC completely disengages as in you video, but usually I can re-engage a few seconds later. I’m starting to think it’s a camera or sensor issue also. I’ve just emailed tech support.

So, after scheduling a service appointment, I got a text and email requesting additional information. I sent them a list of times and places this happened and even videos I took of the problem. They ran remote diagnostics and told me it was "an issue with map data. Our engineering team is working to resolve... with OTA firmware updates and map updates."

They cancelled my service appointment, saying the problem could be resolved remotely. We'll see.