Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 5-weeks, I turned FSD Beta off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of waiting I finally got my FSD Beta! After 6-weeks I turned it off.

I found the promise of the FSD Beta to be overblown. Yes it is very cool that the car will navigate on city streets to a destination. But the car is far too timid to be usable. It is worse than driving with a student driver. Also, the car’s hesitation causes a lot of problems with other drivers who get confused when they see the car stop or slow, when it should not. But that is not what made me turn it off.

I turned it off because it made the overall driving experience annoying, and more dangerous.

With the beta turned-on, the car makes speed changes at nearly every speed limit sign, even when only running TACC. Not only is this annoying but these changers often alarm my passengers and sometimes surprise the cars behind. The car does not do this when the FSD is disabled.

And then there is a notice at nearly every traffic light that one is coming, even when running only on TACC. I find I am spending time clearing nuisance alerts instead focusing 100% of my time on driving the car. And the sudden speed changes, if you miss one of the alerts, is just another version of the phantom breaking problem with the same set of issues for the cars behind. Note that I have this feature disabled under AP. This does not occur if FSD is disabled.

Next we have speed based lane changes. I disabled this under AP and the FSD stack just ignores this as well, and there is no way to tell it not to do so.

So overall, the benefit of having FSD is very minimal, while the negative impact to quality and enjoyment of driving is very real. I definably will not be buying FSD on a future car, unless these problems are fixed.

Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

"Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I agree with the student driver analogy, however I find the current FSD beta to be very useable 85-90% of the time. There are times when it is timid, and others when it is brain dead, but overall I find the experience much better than having to control the mundane situations.

I think it's is going to get better over time, and good enough for being always on.

Correct. FSDb is not for general public consumption. Also, I’m curious what you mean by a notice before every traffic light. That sounds like public FSD Capability package’s traffic light and stop sign control behavior, not FSDb? But in any case, I’d suggest laying off joining the beta tester program until at least Tesla says (whether or not others agree then) it’s ready for the general public.

Reactions: pilotSteve
that sounds like public FSD Capability package’s traffic light and stop sign control behavior, not FSDb?
Correct, this is the traffic light and stop sign control function. In the Autopilot menu there is an option to turn this feature off. If the FSD Beta is not enabled in the menu, the traffic light and stop sign control is disabled. However, if you enable the FSD Beta this switch is ignored and traffic light and stop sign control operates all the time. Even when using only TACC.

Correct. FSDb is not for general public consumption. Also, I’m curious what you mean by a notice before every traffic light. That sounds like public FSD Capability package’s traffic light and stop sign control behavior, not FSDb? But in any case, I’d suggest laying off joining the beta tester program until at least Tesla says (whether or not others agree then) it’s ready for the general public.
I heard that argument before - except that now there is no "beta tester program" if you have bought FSD or a subscription and the early access name has disappeared.
There is no entry requirement and the access to FSD Beta is just the same as using Autopilot (which is still tagged as beta after all this time)
The only difference now between AP and FSD is that once you move the slider to enable it, FSD triggers the download of a different software branch.

Reactions: SilverStar
I heard that argument before - except that now there is no "beta tester program" if you have bought FSD or a subscription and the early access name has disappeared.
There is no entry requirement and the access to FSD Beta is just the same as using Autopilot (which is still tagged as beta after all this time)
The only difference now between AP and FSD is that once you move the slider to enable it, FSD triggers the download of a different software branch.
The early access program language is still used, but the requirements are removed. It’s still not “production ready” (by Tesla’s standards). When it’s the only option, old AP stack isn’t available, and the public doesn’t have to explicitly request it, that’ll be Tesla considers it ready for the general public.

Correct, this is the traffic light and stop sign control function. In the Autopilot menu there is an option to turn this feature off. If the FSD Beta is not enabled in the menu, the traffic light and stop sign control is disabled. However, if you enable the FSD Beta this switch is ignored and traffic light and stop sign control operates all the time. Even when using only TACC.
It sounds like you’re confusing FSDb for production AP/NoA stack. FSDb “ignores” those settings because they don’t apply. FSDb is completely different from production AP software in scope and purpose, hence why it isn’t intended as just an “evolution” of production AP.

Reactions: Werecow
The early access program language is still used, but the requirements are removed. It’s still not “production ready” (by Tesla’s standards). When it’s the only option, old AP stack isn’t available, and the public doesn’t have to explicitly request it, that’ll be Tesla considers it ready for the general public.
sorry but that is shifting the goalposts in a way that Tesla themselves do not.
FSD doesn't have to be requested any more than AP does. Here is the screen, one slider each for Autosteer (Beta) and one for Full Self-Driving(Beta)
Nothing so far about it not being production ready.
Following that is the Autosteer message, if we are counting this as "production ready" then there isn't much difference to the FSD message is there?
IMG_6493.png
IMG_6494.png

so basically Tesla has already made FSD publicly available as production ready otherwise they wouldn't have pushed it out to over 400k car already.
There are some releases of FSD that are early access, but 10.69.25.2 is not one of them.
People here are making their own personal distinctions for what counts as "production" which is not how Tesla treats it.

It sounds like you’re confusing FSDb for production AP/NoA stack. FSDb “ignores” those settings because they don’t apply

I am not confusing anything. It would be one thing if FSDb ignored those setting when it was active, but enabling FSDb on the menu impacts settings for TACC and AP functionality even when FSDb has not been engaged, and that is the problem. FSDb functionally is only active when it is enabled on the menu, AP is engaged, and the car is on “city” streets. It is easy to see when FSDb is active just by looking at the display.

Recall also that at present the AP/NoA stack and FSDb stack are different stacks and have not as yet been merged into a single stack. All the more reason why the FSDb stack should not be impacting the AP/NoA stack.

After years of waiting I finally got my FSD Beta! After 6-weeks I turned it off.

I found the promise of the FSD Beta to be overblown. Yes it is very cool that the car will navigate on city streets to a destination. But the car is far too timid to be usable. It is worse than driving with a student driver. Also, the car’s hesitation causes a lot of problems with other drivers who get confused when they see the car stop or slow, when it should not. But that is not what made me turn it off.

I turned it off because it made the overall driving experience annoying, and more dangerous.

With the beta turned-on, the car makes speed changes at nearly every speed limit sign, even when only running TACC. Not only is this annoying but these changers often alarm my passengers and sometimes surprise the cars behind. The car does not do this when the FSD is disabled.

And then there is a notice at nearly every traffic light that one is coming, even when running only on TACC. I find I am spending time clearing nuisance alerts instead focusing 100% of my time on driving the car. And the sudden speed changes, if you miss one of the alerts, is just another version of the phantom breaking problem with the same set of issues for the cars behind. Note that I have this feature disabled under AP. This does not occur if FSD is disabled.

Next we have speed based lane changes. I disabled this under AP and the FSD stack just ignores this as well, and there is no way to tell it not to do so.

So overall, the benefit of having FSD is very minimal, while the negative impact to quality and enjoyment of driving is very real. I definably will not be buying FSD on a future car, unless these problems are fixed.
Sure you aren’t over reacting? Latest version looks pretty safe here

I almost got rear ended this morning as people were leaving church. They had the right of way and my path had a red light. FSD beta slammed on the brakes and started to give me the take over red hands of death warnings. It stopped 2 cars short of the red light and the car behind me wasn't expecting it. He swerved to another lane to avoid bumping into me.

I was afraid he was going to follow me home since it's a few blocks from my house, and it looks like I may have did this on purpose. We were going 55 in a 40 and he was tail gating me.

I almost got rear ended this morning as people were leaving church....I was afraid he was going to follow me home since it's a few blocks from my house, and it looks like I may have did this on purpose. We were going 55 in a 40 and he was tail gating me.
Sounds like he forgot what he'd just heard in church.

Sounds like he forgot what he'd just heard in church.
No, we weren't leaving church. We were on the main road coming to a stop light. A train of cars were leaving church across of me. I think that freaked out FSD. It thought I was going to slam into them. it's just weird since we are coming to a red light. It can just stop at the light normally, but slammed the brake and stopped 2 cars short. I had to give it some juice cause I really thought I was going to get hit from behind.

My in-n-out lunch fell to the floor. I just picked up my food and had the bag sitting on the passenger seat.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
My in-n-out lunch fell to the floor. I just picked up my food and had the bag sitting on the passenger seat.
I've become conditioned to avoid putting heavy or fragile items, or any spillable food, on the passenger seat in the Tesla.

I had the Safety Score visible for only about 24 hours between the time I finally requested it in late December, and then received it the next evening. In that tione day, I had a perfect score except for one mystery Hard Braking event. I do like the FSD beta even with its quirks, but I'm sure that I'm piling up more Hard Braking events in the invisible background, some from FSD itself and many from my urgent disengagements, when it threatens to turn across traffic or or tries to switch lanes while waiting for the traffic light to change.

Hmmm, the traffic light and nuisance alerts…do you have the NoA box highlighted in blue (i.e, activated) while operating FSD Beta? If so, try tapping that to turn it off (while still leaving FSD active of course). I think that will clear those pop up alerts.

It sounds counter-intuitive since NoA only works on the freeway stack but it seems that blue NoA box drives those pop ups regardless of mode. Good luck regardless. I love the FSD performance after the latest updates!

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think I have the patience for the car to be timed. It would drive me crazy and part of the enjoyment of this car is driving it so I think I’ll pass. If I want FSD I’ll call Uber.