Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 50000 miles...how is it?

Is the model X a good reliable vehicule?

• No, once my warranty expires, i'm changing to avoid costly repairs

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Yes, over 100K miles so far and nothing

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Not at 100K milles yet but no problems so far

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't actually use either of the options you gave. After 45k miles, I haven't had any reliability issues and I have no reason to expect any.

I might be replacing soon, but it wouldn't be because of any fear of going out of warranty, but rather the release of AP3 FSD and the interesting current offer for legacy Tesla owners...

Reactions: Samnas76
At 35k miles the biggest issue I have had was one front air strut went bad and a sway bar link had to be replaced because of a gasket leak. Both caused a clunking in the front end. Otherwise the car has just had minor issues and nothing in the last 12 months. And mine is one of the very early cars that were supposed to be a disaster.;)

Found a great deal online for a 2017 model X 100D but has 50000 miles on it. Who has over 50K miles on their car and what problems have you encounter? Things that need to be fixed at the shop, not by computer.

My 2012 Model S' first 50,000 miles was fine.

It's the next 50,000 miles that it started to have 3 issues:

Purchase Extended Warranty or Not???

My current 2017 Model X with 26,000 miles has no issues so far.

I think the more important concern is when your car needs repairs, does Tesla offer competitive pricing?

Flat tire in Tesla would cost you over $50 while many local tire stores would fix it for free.

An onboard charger would cost you more than $2,000 but if you know how to fix it, it would cost you about $20...

Last edited:
I have approx 42k on a 2017 MX100D. Actually my suggestion would be to see if you can find out what service / parts were already done... post that info and let us pick which items may contribute to other symptoms.. That active suspension one from @aesculus sounds like a wallet killer.

I think the biggest thing that I had done was front suspension parts for the shudder (which has its own very active thread). Turned out to be a draw... shudder comes back after about 5k miles. Follow the thread for latest details.

After that, some of the improvements.... like the driver and passenger front door closing mechanism. I really like the new mechanism. Get it if you can. The symptom is driver door having trouble auto presenting when pressed to open.
I had a left driver side repeater camera go out & replaced; which was only noticed by the 2019.8.6 firmware. I had rain condensation in a right pillar cam fixed. I also did the first 3 of 4 Annual service trips... so I took care of each item right when it came up.
That list may sound like much... but every trip back and forth for something puts my wife on high alert. :) Her Lexus on the other hand, we always forget to do oil changes, and it just keeps running.

Confirm if you can even buy an extended warranty at 50k miles? Original owners can, but I read somewhere that even for CPO MX, you may not be able to. Instead they give you something else.

-TechVP

so what were the expected issues you ran into?
Drivers window motor had to be replaced, it works somehow on a resistance and it occasionally would not close. The tech determined it right away just by the noise (squeek) it was making even when it was working properly.
Also the motor that gripped and locked the FWD closed had to be replaced. It failed to open and the door was giving an alarm that it was open (it wasn't).
I now have a groaning from the front suspension (83,000 miles). Not sure what it is but it will be serviced when I get the appointment. I dropped in to Dedham Ma. service center, A tech checked it and felt (assured me) it was safe to drive.
Overall I'm very satisfied with this machine.

Reactions: Samnas76
Drivers window motor had to be replaced, it works somehow on a resistance and it occasionally would not close. The tech determined it right away just by the noise (squeek) it was making even when it was working properly.
Also the motor that gripped and locked the FWD closed had to be replaced. It failed to open and the door was giving an alarm that it was open (it wasn't).
I now have a groaning from the front suspension (83,000 miles). Not sure what it is but it will be serviced when I get the appointment. I dropped in to Dedham Ma. service center, A tech checked it and felt (assured me) it was safe to drive.
Overall I'm very satisfied with this machine.

were these items replaced during the warranty period? if not, can you let us know how much some of these repairs were?

I have a October 2016 90MX, just before they released hardware for AP2... So far 49k miles-replaced 12 V battery and some door latches, all under warranty.

Still not sure if i keep it and get the extended warranty but ap2/2.5/3 is so tempting in any of the cars...