Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 6 months of loving my car, version 8 makes me want to sell it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone that has anything negative to say about Tesla is obviously a troll. Duh. :rolleyes:

Maybe if Tesla listened (or asked for) feedback this wouldn't be happening.

When people disagree with me, I feel better about myself if I call them trolls. My psychiatrist says this is normal.

After trying 8.0, I'm reminded of the immortal words of Mr. Horse: "No sir, I didn't like it."

I can't even figure out how to use the radio station preset advance on the steering wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
It's really strange to me how quickly expectations have changed on Autopilot.

7.0 Launch: It's a miracle! Elon and everyone else is filmed showing the system drives without your hands on the wheel. BUT, it does make some mistakes in a few areas. Does it recognize stop signs or stoplights? "not yet"...very impressive...can't wait to see the next update!

7.1 nags introduced. no major improvement to resolve the situations where the system failed to work well. ...still very impressive, but no real improvement in performance.

8.0 GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT WHEEL!!! hands-free operation? I don't know what you're talking about. Oh, like 'autopilot' in an aircraft? yeah, we never meant that kind of autopilot. We haven't managed to improve the occasions when the system runs off the road or into a neighboring lane...but look at these dash lights that flash when you aren't ready to drive the car...

Honestly, it feels a little like 1984 that everyone is so damn pleased with the upgrade that improves nothing about the actual capability of the car to stay in it's lane and travel down the roadway.

Good news! Chocolate rations are being increased again!

Honestly, it feels a little like 1984 that everyone is so damn pleased with the upgrade that improves nothing about the actual capability of the car to stay in it's lane and travel down the roadway.
Spot on! Additionally, after the novelty wore off, auto-steer is a function I only find really useful on longer freeway trips. I can easily go a week without using it.

So Elon raised expectations (as he loves to do), then delivered a ho-hum update that emphasized style over content.

I can hardly wait for 9.0. :rolleyes:

Spot on! Additionally, after the novelty wore off, auto-steer is a function I only find really useful on longer freeway trips. I can easily go a week without using it.

So Elon raised expectations (as he loves to do), then delivered a ho-hum update that emphasized style over content.

I can hardly wait for 9.0. :rolleyes:

Raised expectations? Like with summon and homelink control? They can't even get something like opening/closing the garage door right. I have like a 25% success rate with that thing. Goddamnit, this is not rocket science. How about try to auto close the door every time I put it in drive from inside my garage....

Everyone that knows I have a tesla thinks the car can come pick me up :rolleyes: mission accomplished??

• Disagree
Reactions: Scoopup
Raised expectations? Like with summon and homelink control? They can't even get something like opening/closing the garage door right. I have like a 25% success rate with that thing. Goddamnit, this is not rocket science. How about try to auto close the door every time I put it in drive from inside my garage....

Everyone that knows I have a tesla thinks the car can come pick me up :rolleyes: mission accomplished??
There is not one moment when I want my car to move, without a driver in it. Haven't tried summon, have no interest in it.

My homelink, open on arrival, works perfectly every time. Again, I have no interest in closing the door automatically. It is going to close on the car, sooner or later. I can take my finger and press the spot on the screen easily enough.

Features that don't offer a solution should be ignored.

There is not one moment when I want my car to move, without a driver in it. Haven't tried summon, have no interest in it.

My homelink, open on arrival, works perfectly every time. Again, I have no interest in closing the door automatically. It is going to close on the car, sooner or later. I can take my finger and press the spot on the screen easily enough.

Features that don't offer a solution should be ignored.

It's supposed to auto-close. There is no danger of it closing on the car, the garage door opener won't allow it.

It's supposed to auto-close. There is no danger of it closing on the car, the garage door opener won't allow it.
That's not exactly correct.

Our garage is one car wide and two cars deep, sometimes called tandem parking. When our MS was new and I had the Homelink set to automatically close, I pulled out of the garage in the MS and my wife was close behind in the BMW. The MS automatically started the door closing and it came down right on top of the BMW. The angle was such that the door could hit the BMW before the BMW broke the light beam that would stop the door.

The other problem is that Homelink has no state information, it doesn't know if the door is open or closed so when it sends out a signal it has no real control over whether the door will open or close. I've come home and hit the button to open the door before I could actually see it (hill and angle) when the door was open and rounded the corner to see it is closing.

Homelink is no longer set to automatically open or close.

Reactions: PtG62901
That's not exactly correct.

Our garage is one car wide and two cars deep, sometimes called tandem parking. When our MS was new and I had the Homelink set to automatically close, I pulled out of the garage in the MS and my wife was close behind in the BMW. The MS automatically started the door closing and it came down right on top of the BMW. The angle was such that the door could hit the BMW before the BMW broke the light beam that would stop the door.
Fix the beam so it doesn't do that.

The other problem is that Homelink has no state information, it doesn't know if the door is open or closed so when it sends out a signal it has no real control over whether the door will open or close. I've come home and hit the button to open the door before I could actually see it (hill and angle) when the door was open and rounded the corner to see it is closing.

Homelink is no longer set to automatically open or close.

I understand how it works. The car effectively produces random behavior if it will close the door or not through some demented logic that nobody has bothered to fix, or at least tell the user "if you do this, then we give up on autoclose". It's just ****ing silence from Tesla.

It's really strange to me how quickly expectations have changed on Autopilot.

7.0 Launch: It's a miracle! Elon and everyone else is filmed showing the system drives without your hands on the wheel. BUT, it does make some mistakes in a few areas. Does it recognize stop signs or stoplights? "not yet"...very impressive...can't wait to see the next update!

7.1 nags introduced. no major improvement to resolve the situations where the system failed to work well. ...still very impressive, but no real improvement in performance.

8.0 GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT WHEEL!!! hands-free operation? I don't know what you're talking about. Oh, like 'autopilot' in an aircraft? yeah, we never meant that kind of autopilot. We haven't managed to improve the occasions when the system runs off the road or into a neighboring lane...but look at these dash lights that flash when you aren't ready to drive the car...

Good news! Chocolate rations are being increased again!

Are you able to be even remotely reasonable or have you passed the point of no return?... Perhaps you should seek professional help...

7.0 - The purpose of the no hands was to demonstrate the car was actually doing the work. Tesla has not, to date, EVER said that AP was autonomous hands off driving. Since day 1 there has been plenty of reminders that you need to keep at least one hand on the wheel. You can't fault Tesla for not living up to exceptions you set yourself.

7.1 - What nags? I have net to ever get a nag when I'm properly keeping at least one hand on the wheel unless I'm deliberately trying to get a nag. No real improvement in performance? Please... I can count a number of spots where the car drives much better today than it did when it originally launched. Perhaps if people wouldn't abuse the system, and by extension get themselves killed, then perhaps Tesla wouldn't need to have any nags. Unfortunately, the user base has proven far too irresponsible.

8.0 - Again, what hands free operation did Tesla ever promise you??? Really??? Tesla has been extremely clear on this from day one. The press demos you're referring to were to demonstrate, under controlled conditions mind you, that the car was actually steering and not the driver. This shouldn't be so difficult to understand. Again, I have seen real world improvements in 8.0 over my last release of 7.1 in certain stretches of highway where it's had problems in the past. Not to mention, the complete overhaul of how the radar is used and how the data it generates is processed. Since you can't "see" that improvement I suppose to you it doesn't count. Not to mention the UI overhaul which some are going to hate and some are going to love no matter what Tesla does. I'm in the middle, some things I like, some I'm not a fan of, and some don't affect me (such as the USB drive issues with large song collections). Either way I prefer the new UI over anything in 6 or 7, hands down. That's a subjective thing, my opinion, YMMV...

Feels a little like 1984??? Perhaps you should go back and read that book again...

The sky isn't falling... You and a few others need to calm down a bit...

Jeff

8.0 has also failed me. I am furious with the AP change. I want the level of interaction at the level when I purchased the car. My daughters mazda has cruise control, now thats all my Tesla has. Return my auto pilot or return my $2,500.

Oh please... That's quite the gross overreaction. You're AP functionality didn't change at all...

Jeff

If you let AP do its thing without hands on the wheel, the nags are far more frequent, 3-5 times more frequent. If you hold the wheel, probably about the same as before. I've personally never seen a nag while holding the wheel.

Regarding the soda can on the wheel (or bag of rocks), there are far more elegant ways to do it. Anything with a wrist strap will work. Small LED flash light? SD card reader? Not that I would do that, but if I did, maybe I'd be able to go hours without touching the wheel or getting a nag...

If you want to avoid nags and not really be bothered with holding the wheel, just rest your hands on the bottom of the wheel. No nags any more. I suppose if it's a road with sharp curves, that could be annoying, but they I find autopilot doesn't work all that well in that situation anyway.

It doesn't do much for "safety" but it does resolve the nags. And, technically, you are "holding the wheel" as so many people on here seem to insist on.

8.0 has also failed me. I am furious with the AP change. I want the level of interaction at the level when I purchased the car. My daughters mazda has cruise control, now thats all my Tesla has. Return my auto pilot or return my $2,500.

Yes... well don't blame Tesla.

You can blame all of the idiots doing stupid things on YouTube. You can blame the folks who had accidents while doing emails, watching movies, taking a snooze and then decided to blame Tesla. And you can blame the folks who, after predictable consequences, decided that they never understood the VERY CLEAR instructions in the owners manual, on the initial feature enable screen and on the driver console each time when they engaged the autopilot. And you can blame the folks who claimed (with a straight face) that they believed, despite all of the above, that autopilot turned their car into K.I.T.T. from Knightrider.

Telsa started out treating us like adults. We rapidly demonstrated to them that we aren't adults. And then Tesla (likely forced by the NHTSA) had to enforce the "hands on wheel" provision that we all agreed to.

Tesla is not to blame. WE, collectively, are to blame. Accept it.

Yes... well don't blame Tesla.

You can blame all of the idiots doing stupid things on YouTube. You can blame the folks who had accidents while doing emails, watching movies, taking a snooze and then decided to blame Tesla. And you can blame the folks who, after predictable consequences, decided that they never understood the VERY CLEAR instructions in the owners manual, on the initial feature enable screen and on the driver console each time when they engaged the autopilot. And you can blame the folks who claimed (with a straight face) that they believed, despite all of the above, that autopilot turned their car into K.I.T.T. from Knightrider.

Telsa started out treating us like adults. We rapidly demonstrated to them that we aren't adults. And then Tesla (likely forced by the NHTSA) had to enforce the "hands on wheel" provision that we all agreed to.

Tesla is not to blame. WE, collectively, are to blame. Accept it.

Well said. That summarizes why I'm keeping my Adults Only 7.1 ;)