Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 6 months or more of ownership (Model M3) - Poll

Now that you've had your M3 for more than six months, how do you feel about it?

• Pretty much the same as I did when I took delivery - GREAT!

Votes: 175 66.0%
  • Better than when I took delivery (Explain)

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • I kinda have buyers' remorse...

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • I got rid of mine before six months so I can really vote, other than this selection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The hype wore off. It's still a good car, but it's just an appliance to me now.

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only issue are with the 20" wheels - I've had 5 flats and 3 bent rims

Did you vote in the poll above?

Re the 20" wheels, I assume you picked those and your gripe is that the rims should not bend when spending all that extra for the upgrade. If for the rough/noisy ride, that's a common complain with most oversized rims and minimal sidewall tire installations. I stuck with the 18" Aeros for this reason.

I feel better about it than when I got it. Here's my explanation: I had a terrible delivery experience, including service issues. Plus I had some post delivery damage that took forever to fix. Now that I finally have my cracked windshield and damaged undercarriage repaired, I'm able to simply enjoy the thrill of driving it. I also love that I charge it with solar, so I'm zero cost and carbon free! One pro tip: Discount Tire has a tread wear guarantee. Good to know if your tires only last 7,000 miles, like mine did.

I feel better about it than when I got it. Here's my explanation: I had a terrible delivery experience, including service issues. Plus I had some post delivery damage that took forever to fix. Now that I finally have my cracked windshield and damaged undercarriage repaired, I'm able to simply enjoy the thrill of driving it. I also love that I charge it with solar, so I'm zero cost and carbon free! One pro tip: Discount Tire has a tread wear guarantee. Good to know if your tires only last 7,000 miles, like mine did.

Good to know, re tire treadwear guarantee!

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I chose "Better than when I took delivery". Like @kn-nm, had some delivery issues that detracted from the experience, including a defective windshield and a fender dent discovered at delivery. It helped that Tesla made everything right but the real reason for "Better than ..." is how much I appreciate the thought that went into the design and human factors. After learning everything the car has to offer (and getting over range anxiety), the M3 is in the top two 'best driving experience' vehicles I've owned.

Overall the 3 is a great car. The only thing I would do differently if I had a do over is buy the 18 inch wheels next time instead of the 19 inch wheels. Only have just over 9,000 miles and have already had to replace one tire because of damage from bad roads.

Overall the 3 is a great car. The only thing I would do differently if I had a do over is buy the 18 inch wheels next time instead of the 19 inch wheels. Only have just over 9,000 miles and have already had to replace one tire because of damage from bad roads.

I have read that seems to be a common problem and desire (wishing to have gone with the 18's). Quieter too.

since I voted "better than when I took delivery" and the poll asks "explain:

I took delivery in december of 2018. I was excited, but nervous about picking this car, as its my first EV. Unlike some others who got leaf's or bolts' or volts' or other plug in hybrids to transition, I jumped in, coming from over 12 years of being a pretty much exclusive BMW household.

1. Since purchase, my range anxiety has gone (almost) completely away. I have not taken a long trip yet that would require charging on the go, but I know its not only possible, but easy.

2. A MUCH overlooked factor in my opinion of how "freeing" it is to wake up every single morning with a "full tank". I knew I would charge at home, but I did not understand how much that would change how I thought about driving.

3. Things like Sentry mode, and dash cam have been added since I took possession of the car. Its amazing to me that I am getting features after purchase... even if I dont use all of them. One of the (many) reasons I always leased BMWs instead of bought them, was because I like technology, and as technology evolves it always annoyed me that "my car cant do XXX thing but the new model car does". Purists will say that "its a car not a phone" when someone mentions this about ICE brands, and lament the loss of "the driving experience" but the tesla allows me to have both.

4. I did not realize how comfortable it would be to commute my 80 mile round trip per day commute to work, both from the seating position, and the feeling of instant power. this car is the fastest car I have owned, and also is the most composed at slower speeds. Most fast cars dont like to cruise, but this one has no problem going 20mph as well as " a particular amount of speed" :p

it all adds up to the car has exceeded my expectations.

since I voted "better than when I took delivery" and the poll asks "explain:

I took delivery in december of 2018. I was excited, but nervous about picking this car, as its my first EV. Unlike some others who got leaf's or bolts' or volts' or other plug in hybrids to transition, I jumped in, coming from over 12 years of being a pretty much exclusive BMW household.

1. Since purchase, my range anxiety has gone (almost) completely away. I have not taken a long trip yet that would require charging on the go, but I know its not only possible, but easy.

2. A MUCH overlooked factor in my opinion of how "freeing" it is to wake up every single morning with a "full tank". I knew I would charge at home, but I did not understand how much that would change how I thought about driving.

3. Things like Sentry mode, and dash cam have been added since I took possession of the car. Its amazing to me that I am getting features after purchase... even if I dont use all of them. One of the (many) reasons I always leased BMWs instead of bought them, was because I like technology, and as technology evolves it always annoyed me that "my car cant do XXX thing but the new model car does". Purists will say that "its a car not a phone" when someone mentions this about ICE brands, and lament the loss of "the driving experience" but the tesla allows me to have both.

4. I did not realize how comfortable it would be to commute my 80 mile round trip per day commute to work, both from the seating position, and the feeling of instant power. this car is the fastest car I have owned, and also is the most composed at slower speeds. Most fast cars dont like to cruise, but this one has no problem going 20mph as well as " a particular amount of speed" :p

it all adds up to the car has exceeded my expectations.

Great input, thank you!

Did you vote in the poll above?

Re the 20" wheels, I assume you picked those and your gripe is that the rims should not bend when spending all that extra for the upgrade. If for the rough/noisy ride, that's a common complain with most oversized rims and minimal sidewall tire installations. I stuck with the 18" Aeros for this reason.
Yes I voted as well - the 20" wheels came with the performance version and I believe the brakes are bigger so that the normal 18" wheels won't fit. So on not -so-great roads the reduced flex on the sidewall means that if something hits it from the side (side of potholes, etc.) then you're more likely to get a tire puncture. That's where I've gotten all 5 flats from - not repairable so I had to get new tires ;( Other than that, 24.5K miles in 7.5 months and going strong!

Voted “better”. I’ve had Model S since 2012, but pre-AP. When I got 3, did not think I’d like EAP as much as I do. Maybe I read this forum too much, but I expected car to randomly and forcibly crash at least every mile or two.

Also pleasantly surprised by combo of usable power and excellent handling. Plus many features added/improved via software updates. Plus benefitted from 3P $5k rebate so I paid less than I paid, if that’s possible.

Added satin xpel over my silver silver, and had trim silvered out with matching vinyl. Customized dual motor badge to spell my name, got great cocoa mats. So unique and custom.

Delightful car!!!