Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After autopilot update, undecided about getting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess what I'm looking for is a relaxed position, left elbow on the window sill with hand lightly covering the top steering wheel. Kind of what we do on long freeway drives. I drive a manual 3-series right now and it's a PITA in stop/go traffic. So no, not looking to go to sleep any time soon :).

With the current scrutiny they're under, I'm not totally convinced that the nagging will be more relaxed in the future. Even with full autonomy they will have to find a way around the radar lacking fidelity to reliably detect non-moving objects. They would have to incorporate new technology (using camera to distinguish non-moving objects in current lane?) or add eye-tracking capabilities to keep the nagging at bay.
I do not exactly what your requesting. Generally it doesn’t nag. Occasionally it does and I do a slight tug on the wheel. In bumper to bumper it doesn’t happen as often.

I find the change didn’t impact me at all.

Clearly others are more troubled by it.

The overriding reason for me wanting a model 3 is to help with the hour long stop and go traffic using AP. As of the latest update, it seems like AP is pretty ineffective now. To cover their liability Tesla is now nagging AP into oblivion.

Without a useful AP that can relieve the work of maintaining basic traffic position at low speed without too much human intervention, I kind of lost the desire to get the model 3. Being electric is great but AP is the selling factor for me. What are your thoughts after the new update?
I personally don't care if you do or don't get a Model 3 based on what you've read about EAP/Autosteer. So I'm not trying to persuade you either way.
I can tell you that my personal experience of it driving my 50 mile commute is that EAP/Autosteer is worth every cent paid.
Previously I would get home faster by skipping off the highway onto the frontage road then back onto the highway to miss slower traffic.
Now I don't bother, I just let the car manage the drive while I oversee it. So much more relaxing.
My previous car was a Leaf, and driving an EV in heavy traffic is much more relaxing than an ICE. Single pedal driving is just so much easier and chill.
EAP takes that to the next level.
Again, that is my personal take on it.