TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

After being away from my MS for a week, strange residue on interior hard plastics.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Argelius, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I was on vacation for a week and this morning when I entered my MS for the first time, I noticed all of the hard black plastic interior trim pieces (primarily lower door panels and back of seats) were covered with a mottled shiny residue. I haven't had an opportunity to formally try to clean it, but it looks like it's easily "buffed out" with a cloth.

The car was inside of a garage for the week (and I'm guessing the average temperature in there was around 25ºF. (I confirmed that there wasn't any containers of liquid inside the car that might have exploded...).

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has run into this?

IMG_20140217_075706827_HDR.jpg

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

No, I haven't seen this before. Have you shared that photo with Tesla yet? I'd be interested to know what they make of it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

wow, weird and no, never seen that...does it wipe off? Have you tried cleaning it at all?

4. JVC

JVC Member

I've seen similar spotting when certain cleaning products are used on that leather. IIRC, Quick detailer leaves a similar blotchyness. Maybe due to cold there was condensation that froze?

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'd heat up the cabin and see if it changes prior to wiping it off as I'm guessing it's just cold.

6. jamtek

jamtek Member

I suspect it is most likely residue from a cleaning product or protectant used to clean, "condition," or prep the interior. Probably the cold temperature caused the product to partially solidify or come out of solution. I have seen this before in "show cars" that are frequently prepped for display. Usually wipes right off using fresh product. You might try 303 Protectant or 303 Cleaner to wipe it off.

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

I think this is the most plausible explanation - especially as related to temperature. I have gone on 3-week trips and have not seen this on my return - but I am in Florida.

8. Seven7

Seven7 Member

I saw that same type of stuff on my corvette, cleaned up with soap and water and it never came back. I think it was some kind of cleaner or leather preservative over spray.

9. Newbie

Newbie Banned

Mold... take a sample..

10. Argelius

Argelius Member

Thanks, all. I haven't had a chance to try cleaning it up yet, but will report back when I do.

11. huntjo

huntjo Member

Lol!
    You don't give up do you?

12. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Thanks, will be interesting to hear.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm going to assume you just forgot the smilie because this post was hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

+ 1

I'll buy Argelius lunch at TMC Connect if I'm incorrect on this one.

14. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

It looks like overspray from a cleaner or some kind of air freshener. Alternately, it could be moisture on an area that was sprayed but not completely buffed.

I agree with the APC and then treating it with a vinyl protectant.

Not. Mold.

15. Ames

Ames Member

Did you try calling Ghostbusters?

16. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

The picture looks like some kind of soap/leather care product.

However, mold has been discovered around the pano-roof on norwegian cars (something to do with a pano creek foam piece solution). So there is already a mold problem in the Model S :(

17. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Egon, your mucus.

18. huntjo

huntjo Member

There are *some people that have discovered mold in their model S. It is not universal. Those people need to get this fixed and stop the leakage.

19. Argelius

Argelius Member

Just checking back (as the original poster)...

As some previously suggested, the strange "residue" must have arose as a result of some combination of whatever "conditioner" was applied at the factory, along with our very cold temps and the fact that my car sat unused for 8 days.

While the residue did easily "buff out" (with a microfiber cloth), I found that the strange phenomenon largely disappeared on it's own (with, perhaps, a combination of warmer temps and re-engaging of the HVAC system in the car)...

20. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

"Some" is almost one out of four according to a recent poll. And the source of the mold is a fix Tesla has applied for pano creek (piece of cloth). Not sure where you got leakage from?