Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After being on the fence since 2013, here's my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC friends. I've been a participant in this forum and fence-sitter since September 2013! I guess I'm not as much of an early adopter as I thought I was. Almost got a Model S once, but couldn't quite convince myself...But now that my Lexus lease is up, I'm ready to take the plunge. Here's my planned order, pulling the trigger on NYE!

Drivetrain: "D" all wheel drive
Living in California and not planning to take this up to the snow, I don't really need all wheel drive. I understand the "D" improves range somewhat, but seems to be marginal. I drove the RWD 75 and I will always prefer the handling dynamics of a rear wheel drive setup. But, I decided to get a new custom order, and not inventory, so that means only D's are available.

Battery: 75
The 75D remains the best bang for the buck and plenty fast (now uncorked is over 1 second faster than my current ride!), with the 100D being a big step up in price. If money was no issue, I'd love to never have to worry about range and get that extra passing power from 40-60. Aside from saving $20,000 smackeroos, the weight differential (~250 lbs or so) helps make the case for the 75D. Finally, living in the SF Bay Area, I have access to a great charging network, so realistically there's no point in getting the 100. Is there? I'm still open to be convinced.

Exterior color: Blue
MS's are ubiquitous around here. Alot of them are grey, and since my last car was grey I wanted some color. I can't pull off the red, and the black is too much maintenance. The wife dislikes silver for some reason. I think the blue (paint corrected, coated, and clean) looks marvelous.

Wheels:Arachnids
I plan to pick up a set of staggered 21" arachnids from a referral award winner. The reduced unsprung mass and the looks really appeal to me. Plus I like the fact that they are Tesla OEM. Pic request Arachnids on Blue Model S

Decor: Dark Ash Wood
The standard dark wood suits me. I love it. I'd probably pay extra for it. It's just elegant.

Seats: Black multi-pattern textile
I was surprised after sitting in these several times that I find them superior in every way to the upgraded leather. They're handsome, breathable, and hold you in place during spirited driving. They don't look cheap at all. In fact with the leather inserts they look very sporty and premium. Standard Multi-Pattern Black Seats in the Wild

More seats: Rear facing seats
I have three children under six, and am hoping that this will be really useful. In theory, it will be nice to do away with two out of three car seats in the second row. And to be able to take friends, grandparents, whoever for short jaunts would be pretty awesome. I just hope I'm not lugging around a heavy $4k option with no one sitting in them.

Autopilot: EAP, newest version
Yup.

Roof: Panaromic Sunroof (not all-glass)
I like the idea of being able to open the giant sunroof. My biggest problem with Tesla is the lack of a automated retractable sunshade overhead. All Glass Panorama-itis

PUP: Not much reason to order it anymore.

FSD: Not until it's an actual working feature.

I think your logic is spot on with getting a 75 vs 100. I have a P85D, and I never feel range anxiety, and ive driven 106k in the last 2.5 years. 200 miles for local driving is fine, and longer trips have Superchargers. I do like the textile seats, but with young kids you are taking a risk!

I sent you a PM with some more details, but congratulations on the upcoming car!

Reactions: DIL
Wheels:Arachnids
I plan to pick up a set of staggered 21" arachnids from a referral award winner. The reduced unsprung mass and the looks really appeal to me. Plus I like the fact that they are Tesla OEM. Pic request Arachnids on Blue Model S

Congratulations. You are going to LOVE owning a Tesla. I have the 75 (no D) and range is not an issue. You will probably get even better mileage around town than advertised, although highway mileage will vary greatly with speed. My S has 19" wheels. They might not look quite as nice, but they do look nice. Reasons I chose the 19" wheels: They come standard at no extra cost, not easily scuffed when you brush a curb, longer tire wear, less expensive tires come replacement time (I think), and the 19" wheels are more efficient, giving you some more miles per charge. There is no wrong choice, however. You will be happy with either.

Last edited:
I would go 100, hands down ... especially if you plan to head up to Tahoe or down the coast. 249 range miles rarely yield 249 real world miles. And, uphills, headwinds, cold, and bike racks suck range down stunningly.

You’ll never regret having bought the extra range. I was going to go with a 60, then with a 70. Wife talked me into 85D ... and I’m now considering upgrading to a 100 for the extra 50-60 miles of range.

Just one person’s opinion, of course.

Either way, you will love your new Model S!

• Informative
Congratulations! I agree with you regarding the seats. I surprisingly also found the textile seats nicer than the leather. I believe they may hold up better as well. I had looked at several used MS before I bought my inventory S75. One thing which always concerned me was how poorly the leather in the cars seemed to hold up. I also chose the 75 over the 100 because of the bang for the buck. You will love your car. It has been a real game changer for me.

I’m deleting rear facing seats after meeting a friend, and MS owner, for dinner last night. He convinced me we’d rarely use them. We have the minivan for shlepping the kids and the $4000 can be put to much better use elsewhere.
Seeing on how you're not into spending money where it's not really necessary... the Arachnid wheels are certainly nice and the OEM is nice to have but there are some great options out there for 3rd party wheels that are not only light-weight and strong enough for Tesla use, but also in a convenient 20" size so replacement tires are much cheaper and easier to source than the OEM sizes. Some food for thought.