Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After carwash, door handle stops presenting on touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I actually had a different situation. I live in Ohio and it's been snowing. There's been a ton of salt/brine on the ground and my MS is black. I took it to a touchless drive through car wash-- mind you the temp was in the teens-- but it air dries the car as well so it gets majority of the water off. Anyways, I drive around, drop off my son at school, go home get stuff out of the car and the door handles work fine. Later that day, I go back out and the drivers side door handle presents but makes a loud siren type of sound and won't open the door. I thought water got in and maybe froze the mechanism that opens the door, I try to heat it up with a hair dryer-- no luck. I'm under warranty so I make an appointment for the repair work. Later that night, I go back out to grab something and this time the front passenger door presents, makes the loud siren sound and it doesn't open. It retracts partially when I lock it. Yesterday, Tesla mobile service came out and the rear drivers side door also wouldn't work. The service rep said that it sometimes happens with pressure washing but he had parts for only one handle so was able to fix the drivers door and will be back tomorrow for the other two. Such a ridiculous design flaw in my opinion.

So, I actually had a different situation. I live in Ohio and it's been snowing. There's been a ton of salt/brine on the ground and my MS is black. I took it to a touchless drive through car wash-- mind you the temp was in the teens-- but it air dries the car as well so it gets majority of the water off. Anyways, I drive around, drop off my son at school, go home get stuff out of the car and the door handles work fine. Later that day, I go back out and the drivers side door handle presents but makes a loud siren type of sound and won't open the door. I thought water got in and maybe froze the mechanism that opens the door, I try to heat it up with a hair dryer-- no luck. I'm under warranty so I make an appointment for the repair work. Later that night, I go back out to grab something and this time the front passenger door presents, makes the loud siren sound and it doesn't open. It retracts partially when I lock it. Yesterday, Tesla mobile service came out and the rear drivers side door also wouldn't work. The service rep said that it sometimes happens with pressure washing but he had parts for only one handle so was able to fix the drivers door and will be back tomorrow for the other two. Such a ridiculous design flaw in my opinion.
That's exactly what happened to me today, EXACLTY. The drivers door and the drivers side back passenger door. This so weird I wonder if power washing is able to punch through a seal or something.

So I'm having this issue now. The first time going through a car wash it worked fine for the rest of the day, then the next day after a software update it would over extend when it presented and beep like a siren, then only partially retract. I scheduled a mobile service, and when the tech got there the door was working again, but we decided to replace it anyway.

I had to use a car wash again 2 days ago and same thing: door worked the rest of the day, the next day it would present and beep, but not unlatch, and won't fully retract. Today it's still not working. So frustrating. I'm open to suggestions about what is going on so that I can avoid it moving forward. I don't want to pay an additional $300 to replace the door handle again, but making my car unuseable for 2 days after a car wash isn't a solution either.