Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After driving a Tesla , everyone should drive an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(now that I have your attention)
It has been a year since I have driven an ICE.
I had to take my tesla to the SC yesterday. It was making a very loud squeak (both control arms were replaced).
The SC was out of loaner Tesla's..so I was given a car from Enterprise.

WOW..after one day of driving an ICE, I appreciate my Tesla even more. I had forgotten about the loud engine noise and vibrations. Feels like I have traveled back in time. Everyone that has a tesla should drive an ICE once in a while just so their tesla is appreciated.

I miss my Tesla!

My backup car is a MINI Cooper (non-S model). It's "cute" but, it's severely underpowered compared to the Tesla.

Biggest thing I have to get used to when switching over to it to remember that the car doesn't slow itself down when I let off the accelerator pedal!

I remember the sensation right after my first test drive in the summer of 2012. It was on Tesla's "Get Amped" tour, and when I got back into my very nice ICE car, I really noticed how it seemed to have to "huff and puff" just to get going as opposed to the Model S's instantaneous feel.

We do have a second ICE car that I drive occasionally. About one time in five I turn the wipers on trying to put it in Park and the lack of re-gen is very noticeable. Others have reported forgetting to turn their ICE cars off before getting out, but that is not something that has happened to me. In fact even after over 2 years, I still find myself the odd time reaching up towards the steering column for the key in my Model S before realizing I don't have to do that anymore.

The worst part I have found is expecting the ICE to perform like a tesla. The sentra that I got just doesn't accelerate (chipmunks in it sound ready to explode). I have to keep adjusting my habits from " I'll make that yellow light" to "have to stop".

The SC told me my car should be ready this afternoon, but I can pick it up tomorrow if I want. I'll be heading over this afternoon !! :smile:

I've come very close to ramming my wife's X3 into the garage wall and/or the utility meter on the wall next to it, pretty much every time I get in the driver's seat. And yeah she's getting tired of my expressions of shock/horror at the sounds and smells it makes, and all the clunky buttons.

Yeah, the Model S spoils in a big way, and there's no going back.

I remember the first time I drove a Roadster. It was back in 2008. I have a pretty well sorted out Alfa Romeo 1974 Spider and nothing much could bother me on the road. Still, nothing prepared me for the zen like powerful feeling of gliding effortlessly through the streets with the Roadster. After I got back in my Alfa, I was annoyed, disappointed and frankly had lost all enthusiasm. They say there is not antidote for an Alfa Romeo, I think Tesla comes pretty darn close to it :)

when I got back into my very nice ICE car, I really noticed how it seemed to have to "huff and puff" just to get going as opposed to the Model S's instantaneous feel.
I had a similar experience. When I got back in my ICE car and hit the accelerator, it seemed like I was using one of these to communicate with the engine room, er, I mean engine:

142722331_e023008ad4_b.jpg

This is with a car I had previously thought of as quite responsive

I remember the first time I drove a Roadster. It was back in 2008. I have a pretty well sorted out Alfa Romeo 1974 Spider and nothing much could bother me on the road. Still, nothing prepared me for the zen like powerful feeling of gliding effortlessly through the streets with the Roadster. After I got back in my Alfa, I was annoyed, disappointed and frankly had lost all enthusiasm. They say there is not antidote for an Alfa Romeo, I think Tesla comes pretty darn close to it :)

+1 on annoyed, disappointed and losing all enthusiasm towards ICE cars...only went to 1 car show since (to see TESLA Model S before launch)
and I used to love to go to car shows etc. get to drive nice rental cars...and all I think is...meh...