Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Flirting With EVs for Decades, GM Ready to Compete With Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The General Motors EV1 was the first vehicle produced by the company to wear General Motors on the nameplate. America’s largest automaker reserved its name for an electric vehicle.

The enthusiasm was short-lived, however. Though it was the first mass-produced electric...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/04/03/after-flirting-with-evs-for-decades-gm-ready-to-compete-with-tesla/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

One thousand horsepower.

take-my-money.gif

Is this a paid ad?

Certainly seems like one. Especially the final paragraph:

"Tesla certainly has a big head start in electrification compared to many auto manufacturers, but GM has been testing the technology and the market for decades. Yes, GM’s electric offerings are going to be competitive with Tesla. They’ll build comfortable, affordable, reliable EVs, and have the ability to do it a a massive scale."

Are they really? How do you know? Have you driven them and been given a realistic indication of real-world range and efficiency? What about charging infrastructure, infotainment, OTA updates, autonomous driving capability? Empty words and speculation otherwise. This record has been played before, as has the "but this time it's different" rhetoric. I also think aiming for 1 million EVs per year by 2025 pales in comparison to what Tesla are likely to be pumping out by then. :)

Last I heard GM had no plans to make charging in any of their EVs faster than the current 50KW limit.

With that slow limit they'll quickly been relegated to the dustbin of history.

Reactions: Brando
Last I heard GM had no plans to make charging in any of their EVs faster than the current 50KW limit.

With that slow limit they'll quickly been relegated to the dustbin of history.

I agree. We own a 2019 Bolt Premier. It's our Cape Cod "runabout." Wonderful little car; lots of fun to drive, quality control was (in my opinion) excellent, comfortable inside. Charging (DFSC on the road) is ridiculously slow. Makes distance driving impractical (when I mention that I get yelled at on the Bolt forum site). In short, this little car is a perfect "commuter vehicle" or for use within a 200 or so mile round trip distance from home base.

There's a reason my wife and I are going to buy a MY for our AZ place, you can actually travel to somewhere in that auto in a reasonable period of time!

If GM does not raise the on-road charging speeds of their EVs up to modern standards, then frankly the company has no hope of competing in this market place.

Rich

Spouse wondering why no juice coming out of charging handle... (Just a joke. Charger behind our town hall was not yet active.)
hCmHDBv.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Brando