Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After FSD 3.0, Summon accident!!! Crashed my bumper and hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have your Dash cam setup, show the video to the SC and see what they reply. I think that may be better than showing the picture and asking them to look at the log

This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! I was picking up my food in at local food square. Then I walked to another bubble tea store to order a tea on the other side of the restaurant I ordered food, then I used summon to get my model x come to me from restaurant to bubble tea store where instanced outside, they are on the same parking lot. It didn’t come straightly but go around the Parking lot and it hit the stop sign on the way to me without any hesitation, from the spot I stood, I can’t tell if the car will hit the stop sign, since I know for sure it will by pass it or stop, however, it went straight to it with a heartbreaking “bam”. I was shocked.
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue or how to communicate with SC, will they use the log to investigate the accident. It’s bother me a lot not because the cosmetic damage, but the trusty and safety!! What if the stop sign is a person, a kid, or other cars!!!! This is ridiculously stupid!
I took the picture of the parking lot and the stop sign as well as the damage on my MX. i had the FSD upgraded last week.

View attachment 560878 View attachment 560879

sorry to hear that, makes me wonder whether to pay $7k (now $8k) FSD in becoming a Tesla test lab white mouse absorbing all the good and bad injections :p

I thought about this while getting M3P. I did not get FSD based on the following:

1. Exactly what happened to OP could happen to me.
2. Other features like self parking is just way to slow. Might as well do it myself.
3. By the time technology is mature, I could have gotten another car already.
4. If #3 does not come true, I could always buy the FSD later. Meanwhile, put the money in stock and I am sure it can outpace the price increase of the FSD.

Hopefully my reasoning helps some of you if you are not the fence of getting FSD.

That sucks, sorry to hear about your accident. I have had very close calls with smart summon when it backs up from a parking spot. One day, I was showing off this feature to my friend who was parked next to me and my Model 3 started turning right away instead of backing up. ALMOST crashing into my friends car. I have never tested the feature again unless is an empty parking lot but with your situation, looks like Smart Summon is not even safe in empty lots.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
When Summon and AutoPark first came out for AP2.0, like on day one of release, our car autoparked into a concrete pole in the parking garage at around 10pm. Called Tesla and in 30 minutes they’d reviewed videos and sensor data and admitted “fault”. Half an hour later, tow truck took away the car. The next morning they delivered a loaner. A week later, we got the car back like new, on Tesla‘a dime. And they added a warning that the system doesn’t do well around thin stationary objects like poles, pillars, etc. it’s a major limitation of the system. Nowadays they’ll do nothing for you. I was shocked at the service they gave us but they were grateful that we provided them with real-world failure data!

I had a nearly identical incident with my MX. hit the only obstacle in the entire parking lot, a stop sign. From where I was I though it was going to drive around it. Nope, aimed straight for it. Tesla said they would do an investigation and the SC manager would call me back in 8 weeks. Then Tesla transitioned to no human interaction and never called me back and I can’t call my nearest SC directly because my phone’s area code is different. The SC I get routed to never returned my calls. Went through the App and they just quoted me for the repairs without giving me the opportunity to discuss. “Reply yes to approve or no”. Insurance is going to pay for it, minus deductible but it would have been nice to hear the results of the investigation, at a minimum.

I thought about this while getting M3P. I did not get FSD based on the following:

1. Exactly what happened to OP could happen to me.
2. Other features like self parking is just way to slow. Might as well do it myself.
3. By the time technology is mature, I could have gotten another car already.
4. If #3 does not come true, I could always buy the FSD later. Meanwhile, put the money in stock and I am sure it can outpace the price increase of the FSD.

Hopefully my reasoning helps some of you if you are not the fence of getting FSD.
FSD on the highway is awesome and still worth the price of admission for anyone that has to regularly hit the road. (It's also getting better in the city...). If Summon is the main feature you want from FSD, then yes, presently, you will be disappointed

Reactions: hoang51
Here is the damage done to our Model 3 by a 2017 Model S attempting to use auto park/summon from the spot next to us.

Don't do it people. You're not just risking your own vehicle, but others as well. This was a PIA to have to deal with.

IMG_8138.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem