Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After FSD 3.0, Summon accident!!! Crashed my bumper and hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW those thin pylons/pillars have always been a weak point for Summon and Autopark. It seems like the ultrasonic sensors have poor coverage when it comes to such thin obstacles and I guess this shows that the vision system introduced as part of smart summon still isn’t enough :(

Yikes, sucks man. Thats why i refuse to use summon or any gimmicky stuff tesla puts out

I have to agree with this. That could have been a person. The system is not fool proof enough for even a beta. I can't blame the OP, but I can give some friendly advice: Don't use Summon. Pretend it doesn't exist. Wait till FSD matures some more.

Last edited:
If you want it to just work, then all FSD functions are not for you. If you have it, don't use it. If you don't have it, don't buy it.

If you are willing to understand all functions including all limitations by reading the manual, forums and most importantly, practice with it, then it is a heck of a value and well worth it. Keep your hands on the wheel when auto steering. Monitor the vehicle at all times. The effort to monitor the vehicle is tremendously less than hypersensitive micro reactions while manually driving. I have completed several multi-thousand mile trips using 100% of the FSD functions currently available AP2.0 MCU1 and upgraded AP3.0 MCU1 hardware. I never had an issue monitoring and taking control on the very few predictable instances of potential or reactive trouble.

Reactions: hoang51
If you want it to just work, then all FSD functions are not for you. If you have it, don't use it. If you don't have it, don't buy it.

If you are willing to understand all functions including all limitations by reading the manual, forums and most importantly, practice with it, then it is a heck of a value and well worth it. Keep your hands on the wheel when auto steering. Monitor the vehicle at all times. The effort to monitor the vehicle is tremendously less than hypersensitive micro reactions while manually driving. I have completed several multi-thousand mile trips using 100% of the FSD functions currently available AP2.0 MCU1 and upgraded AP3.0 MCU1 hardware. I never had an issue monitoring and taking control on the very few predictable instances of potential or reactive trouble.
Thanks for reply!
I was and is doing what you said. I am comfortable with FSD and put my hands on every second...also the warning shows driver to take action anytime.
I also practiced Summon... But what’s the point of Summon? Even though it’s beta, does it warn user there might be blind spot for thin object? Does it warn user the potential dangers? And didn’t say you have to follow the car every second while you use summon.
I am curious how are you using or everyone else using Summon? Did I really do it wrong? It’s an empty parking lot!

Reactions: NikolaACDC
There’s plenty of videos online showing “smart summon” not being so smart and not to mention slow as molasses.

A lot of these features as others mentioned are just gimmicks at this point and we’re the guinea pigs. At some point they need to just include FSD as part of the vehicle cost and call it a day. I’d be interested to know how many of the 90k cars sold actually purchased FSD in the last quarter sales numbers.

I have a few friends that work at the local delivery center and they stated almost every Y and 3 delivered forgoes FSD but some also do it to keep the MSRP under $60k for the CA rebate and buy it after the fact on a credit card, so who knows.

I’ll never pay for FSD on any of my cars at the current price and constantly increasing.

Thanks for reply!
I was and is doing what you said. I am comfortable with FSD and put my hands on every second...also the warning shows driver to take action anytime.
I also practiced Summon... But what’s the point of Summon? Even though it’s beta, does it warn user there might be blind spot for thin object? Does it warn user the potential dangers? And didn’t say you have to follow the car every second while you use summon.
I am curious how are you using or everyone else using Summon? Did I really do it wrong? It’s an empty parking lot!

While using FSD on the road, you're in the car can can easily take control, or just smash the brake pedal if needed. With Summon, you're trusting that the car will obey you, or stop itself if communication is lost. Other than that, you have no control.

You asked 'whats the point of Summon?'. Good question. I've often wondered that myself.

sorry to hear that, makes me wonder whether to pay $7k (now $8k) FSD in becoming a Tesla test lab white mouse absorbing all the good and bad injections :p
Well, I still love my MX, I still love my FSD with NoA. I would still gonna buy it, but would use it and test it really careful. My advise is everything you do should make sure you are able to take action in any time

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! I was picking up my food in at local food square. Then I walked to another bubble tea store to order a tea on the other side of the restaurant I ordered food, then I used summon to get my model x come to me from restaurant to bubble tea store where instanced outside, they are on the same parking lot. It didn’t come straightly but go around the Parking lot and it hit the stop sign on the way to me without any hesitation, from the spot I stood, I can’t tell if the car will hit the stop sign, since I know for sure it will by pass it or stop, however, it went straight to it with a heartbreaking “bam”. I was shocked.
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue or how to communicate with SC, will they use the log to investigate the accident. It’s bother me a lot not because the cosmetic damage, but the trusty and safety!! What if the stop sign is a person, a kid, or other cars!!!! This is ridiculously stupid!
I took the picture of the parking lot and the stop sign as well as the damage on my MX. i had the FSD upgraded last week.

View attachment 560878 View attachment 560879
Stunned, not stoned. Sorry about the damage.