Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After FSD 3.0, Summon accident!!! Crashed my bumper and hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey look... its a room full of paranoids mixed in with the usual FUD from all affected industries, along with some sincerely concerned people with a few good points too. I read them all, here's my take.

What you don't hear are all the other 100's of thousands of people enjoying FSD, like myself for the past 2+ years. Then some of us received a free upgraded computer for our early Model 3s, plus a dozen other safety related features that helped keep me (and you) safer than driving by myself. This I am 100% certain.

There are plenty of folks who are comfortable and want to help train the system during this extraordinary moment of all time IMO. But rest assured, we monitor Summon in a parking lot with other people. Yes some reckless folks are sleeping while driving, and I believe 2 of these cars have caught on fire. Still much safer than any car out there. I'm talking facts and experience, very different than fear and speculation.

Consider this. I almost hit a little girl backing up while driving my car - using my own hands. For someone here to make the leap that a child is the same as a pole is just adding to the rumors. This does not happen, but with all other vehicles you should definitely be concerned. Show me where this has happened with a Tesla using Summon. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm just stating facts here. Parking Lot Safety

"NSC analysis of government data indicates that 9% of pedestrian deaths in parking lots result from backup incidents."

Seriously, the end game is to increase safety and it's well on its way to achieving their stated goal of 10x humans. If you don't want to participate, we understand. If you want to write about how the sky is falling and you've never driven one and you think that these are running over people today, please stop.

We have no proof this story is real, but it's also possible IMHO, and so my heart goes out to the OP. I've seen my car get confused too, and even saw that video of a car in a garage a long time ago, but you have no idea how much better it is now compared to the first version. My trust level is quite high, but I monitor as needed and agreed to do.

When on the road, I know all the trouble spots like on turns or construction. Millions teaching this car, so it's getting pretty freakin smart and that's accelerating. They are rewriting the code base (again) for 3D learning vs just for visualizations and are about 2-3 months away. The parking lot has to be the most complex task on earth for driving so please be patient, thank you.

My recommendation for those who use Summon, I don't think it's quite ready for busy shopping hours of use, and I have annoyed some folks as it tries to navigate stuff. But do test it often when the traffic is not so peak. I would trust it around people and my own children (well dog not so much bc he's so fast). I have recorded dozens of parking lot visits and it's to the point you can't tell no one is driving about 75% of the time... if you're looking for it.

Wouldn't trade in Tesla safety for the world.

I had a nearly identical incident with my MX. hit the only obstacle in the entire parking lot, a stop sign. From where I was I though it was going to drive around it. Nope, aimed straight for it. Tesla said they would do an investigation and the SC manager would call me back in 8 weeks. Then Tesla transitioned to no human interaction and never called me back and I can’t call my nearest SC directly because my phone’s area code is different. The SC I get routed to never returned my calls. Went through the App and they just quoted me for the repairs without giving me the opportunity to discuss. “Reply yes to approve or no”. Insurance is going to pay for it, minus deductible but it would have been nice to hear the results of the investigation, at a minimum.
That sounded just like me... I am sorry for that...like to hear how did fix the damage and would you mind me asking how much they quote you? Thanks!

I stopped using this feature a year ago. I had one of the early releases of Summon and it put my car in Reverse to back out of a space, then suddenly put it in Drive and went straight into the curb right in front of it. Luckily the curb was less high than the car's front, so no damage was done.

Not using it again. It's garbage without enough cameras/sensors/logic at play. The first clue was when it didn't see where to drive in parking lots and wouldn't stay on the right side of the lot lanes between the spaces. You can tell it's doing it nearly blind and with little-to-no logic.

This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! I was picking up my food in at local food square. Then I walked to another bubble tea store to order a tea on the other side of the restaurant I ordered food, then I used summon to get my model x come to me from restaurant to bubble tea store where instanced outside, they are on the same parking lot. It didn’t come straightly but go around the Parking lot and it hit the stop sign on the way to me without any hesitation, from the spot I stood, I can’t tell if the car will hit the stop sign, since I know for sure it will by pass it or stop, however, it went straight to it with a heartbreaking “bam”. I was shocked.
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue or how to communicate with SC, will they use the log to investigate the accident. It’s bother me a lot not because the cosmetic damage, but the trusty and safety!! What if the stop sign is a person, a kid, or other cars!!!! This is ridiculously stupid!
I took the picture of the parking lot and the stop sign as well as the damage on my MX. i had the FSD upgraded last week.

View attachment 560878 View attachment 560879

That's why l insisted Tesla to pay me for using their FSD.

It's a BETA feature!!!!
OPS wanted advise. DO NOT use Summon when you are more than 100 feet from the car and do not have a direct
line of site with the vehicles path. Tesla says 200 feet but with a Beta you are always wise to take baby steps when
using a feature and always be prepared to stop the feature if it's about to crash into something.
There are too many posts on various Tesla forums about little summon disasters.
Other advise for the OPS. Tamp down your expectations for all of Tesla's beta features.
Always be prepared to take control.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! ... snip ...
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue ... snip

1. Do not SUMMON while stoned. Even ELON knows this.
2. File an insurance claim and have your car repaired. Watch as all of our insurance rates go up.
3. Don’t buy flakey vapor-ware features from Tesla (at least more than once ... many of us have learned this the hard way).

Yikes, sucks man. Thats why i refuse to use summon or any gimmicky stuff tesla puts out. Shows you FSD is not even near ready. Dont know if SC will do anything besides "we will investigate".
Yeah, training wheels. You have to prove you can master the parking lots before you hit the highways unless it is a UPS truck going from highway exit to exit with a UPS facility at the exits.

Really bad it happened to you. But if I remember correctly, besides being a beta, the instruction says to make sure you actually see the car when doing summon. I also understand that you will have your finger on the button while doing it and by simply removing/lifting your finger, the car stops. If it is my car, I will email Tesla asap and report the incident. I will also contact my insurance immediately to report the accident and to get my car repaired.

This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! I was picking up my food in at local food square. Then I walked to another bubble tea store to order a tea on the other side of the restaurant I ordered food, then I used summon to get my model x come to me from restaurant to bubble tea store where instanced outside, they are on the same parking lot. It didn’t come straightly but go around the Parking lot and it hit the stop sign on the way to me without any hesitation, from the spot I stood, I can’t tell if the car will hit the stop sign, since I know for sure it will by pass it or stop, however, it went straight to it with a heartbreaking “bam”. I was shocked.
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue or how to communicate with SC, will they use the log to investigate the accident. It’s bother me a lot not because the cosmetic damage, but the trusty and safety!! What if the stop sign is a person, a kid, or other cars!!!! This is ridiculously stupid!
I took the picture of the parking lot and the stop sign as well as the damage on my MX. i had the FSD upgraded last week.

View attachment 560878 View attachment 560879
I had an impact with a similar type cement post at a Costco parking lot at night backing out of a parking spot. Model 3 fsd. Didn’t even beep. Pole was cement colored and blended in with evening light. Car never slowed or warned me as it backed into pole. So much for ultrasonics. Don’t trust them using summon or not.

I had an impact with a similar type cement post at a Costco parking lot at night backing out of a parking spot. Model 3 fsd. Didn’t even beep. Pole was cement colored and blended in with evening light. Car never slowed or warned me as it backed into pole. So much for ultrasonics. Don’t trust them using summon or not.
Absolutely!

People need to understand:
Ultrasonics DON’T work on poles unless the pole is in the EXACT right spot. People (ie: not autopilots) back into poles with monotonous regularity, and then try to blame the car.
Understand the limitations and use your backup camera and mirrors.

(However I will say that it’s odd that the camera didn’t see the pole in this case, as apparently it was bright yellow. Poor lighting at the time maybe?)
Remember folks- it’s all BETA, treat it accordingly.

• Disagree
Reactions: thewallaby
That sounded just like me... I am sorry for that...like to hear how did fix the damage and would you mind me asking how much they quote you? Thanks!
$2531.06 parts and labor for replacing the upper and lower bumper.
Haven’t gotten it fixed yet. Need to find a detailer who can do PPF relatively near by the service center.