Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After FSD 3.0, Summon accident!!! Crashed my bumper and hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was happened today in a very empty parking lot, I was stoned when this was happened!! I was picking up my food in at local food square. Then I walked to another bubble tea store to order a tea on the other side of the restaurant I ordered food, then I used summon to get my model x come to me from restaurant to bubble tea store where instanced outside, they are on the same parking lot. It didn’t come straightly but go around the Parking lot and it hit the stop sign on the way to me without any hesitation, from the spot I stood, I can’t tell if the car will hit the stop sign, since I know for sure it will by pass it or stop, however, it went straight to it with a heartbreaking “bam”. I was shocked.
I am looking for advise how I can solve this issue or how to communicate with SC, will they use the log to investigate the accident. It’s bother me a lot not because the cosmetic damage, but the trusty and safety!! What if the stop sign is a person, a kid, or other cars!!!! This is ridiculously stupid!
I took the picture of the parking lot and the stop sign as well as the damage on my MX. i had the FSD upgraded last week.

View attachment 560878 View attachment 560879

Aside from the fact that the summon is in Beta, if you read the manual, it has what seems like hundreds of legal notifications on every feature that the driver is always in charge of the car and should always be aware and ready to take charge of the Tesla at all times. Aside from that you were stoned? You shouldn't even be driving stoned. That having been said, when an event occurs, you need to leave a "Bug Report" by pressing the mike, saying bug report and the time of the occurrence so they can find it, and a brief statement of what occurred.
It will then confirm receipt. Then there will be a record of it.

You're doing well enough. Your point came across clearly. I admire anyone who can speak more than one language.

there's an old joke:

what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? trilingual.
what do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? bilingual.
what do you call someone who speaks 1 language? an american.

;)

I am sorry but you sound like a ding dong. Summons is supposed to be used supervised. Lucky you using drugs and driving didn’t kill someone.

these posts feed the Tesla haters. Elon should shut your car off
For a first post, it is pretty rude to be calling someone names. I'll bet OP is a lot smarter than you and me about something where he might think we are "ding dongs" ;)
If sorry, why call him a ding dong in the first place? We have enough of this on the forum already.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

People need to understand:
Ultrasonics DON’T work on poles unless the pole is in the EXACT right spot. People (ie: not autopilots) back into poles with monotonous regularity, and then try to blame the car.
Understand the limitations and use your backup camera and mirrors.

(However I will say that it’s odd that the camera didn’t see the pole in this case, as apparently it was bright yellow. Poor lighting at the time maybe?)
Remember folks- it’s all BETA, treat it accordingly.
Agree. I've had 2 neighbors back into a 9" wide (and 6' tall) post next to my driveway with their ICE vehicles as they were turning around for some reason. Once it was in the winter (black pole against a white background) and they did a good deal of damage to their bumper and back panel. Didn't budge the post. The 2nd time was in the summer with a GMC SUV. They backed completely over the post and then gunned it forward to leave. Unfortunately the post was now at an angle the ended up tearing the center of the SUV up pretty badly. The GMC was totaled, the post was fine once pushed back into he vertical position. The 2nd instance happened while they were admittedly trying to use their phone. At least AP isn't distracted by phones...

Yet another example of why FSD is no where remotely even close to being "ready"... Tesla continues to sell a "feature" that doesn't exist and won't for any time soon. People keep buying it though so why should Tesla stop selling it? What happened to the OP simply can't happen in an FSD world, it just can't.

Jeff

Reactions: am_dmd
I was stoned when this was happened

I *think* OP meant that they were stunned and not stoned, but just in case, please don't drive stoned, FSD or not. As far as summon, I can't bring myself to use it beyond forward and back in tight parking spots, otherwise I get far too nervous watching from afar as my car lopes around a parking lot. I'm not sure what it would take, perhaps having the front camera feedback in my phone would be good to see what the car sees, that way you can stop the car if it looks like it's headed right for a stop sign like this.
Sorry for the damage, OP!

What an embarrassment for the so called "journalist" who wrote that article. Anyone who carefully read the first post would have deduced that OP is not a native English speaker and misspelled the word stunned

Click bait. Anything for a headline, fully aware. Plus the story checks out... as stated. No downside, but draws even more attention to FSD in a negative light.

I saw that.

I didn't think this post will go far like this, mostly because i used wrong words...

But again, I'd like to say sorry I made a "Stoned" word up for my own expression as "freeze shocked like a stone can not move..." hope that makes sense.. I am not a native speaker and English is not my first language.

If i can edit the post, I thought I would change it... but..anyway, it's good to show a good jokes here as well as to warn everyone who is trying to do the same thing, not "stoning" but using Smart Summon.

Make sure you can always see clear relationship of your car and other objects and DO NOT assume while using Summon. My mistake was I assumed my car will go around the stop sign or stop before it hits as I "thought" all the sensors will detect it, obviously I was wrong.

My car is in body shop now, getting fixed. Thanks!

Reactions: bhorn