Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market model 3 air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... Hesitate to say anything about this, as it has the potential of opening up a huge argument.

My opinion, FWIW...

If you take a look at the Model X and Model S filters, they are huge. This allows them the surface area needed to pull large volumes of air through a HEPA filter. HEPA filters really choke the airflow for any given surface area, which is why the X and S have such large surface area filters.

IMO, HEPA filters don't come stock in the Model 3 because they were unable to get enough air volume through the filter size they had to work with. Hence, putting a HEPA filter in the 3 is going to reduce your total cooling/heating capacity (due to less airflow), and make the system work harder to achieve the heating/cooling you're asking for. IMO, this is going to effect your range, and it's also going to work the HVAC system harder.

I drove non-HEPA filtered cars for 44 years... no lung cancer, no allergy attacks in cars, nothing.

So I guess you need to ask yourself if you'll be getting enough of a benefit from having HEPA filtered air in your car to warrant the potential issues having it will cause.

You can be willing to bet that if Tesla thought our cars could use a HEPA filter without causing problems, they'd make it available as an option; they wouldn't pass up an opportunity to make money.

I've never needed HEPA filtered air in a car yet. Don't see a reason to need it now, especially when my car's HVAC system wasn't designed to use a more restrictive filter. Just don't need to work it that hard for minimal (if any) benefit. The stock Model 3 air filter provides all the filtering I need. YMMV.

Hmmm... Hesitate to say anything about this, as it has the potential of opening up a huge argument.

My opinion, FWIW...

If you take a look at the Model X and Model S filters, they are huge. This allows them the surface area needed to pull large volumes of air through a HEPA filter. HEPA filters really choke the airflow for any given surface area, which is why the X and S have such large surface area filters.

IMO, HEPA filters don't come stock in the Model 3 because they were unable to get enough air volume through the filter size they had to work with. Hence, putting a HEPA filter in the 3 is going to reduce your total cooling/heating capacity (due to less airflow), and make the system work harder to achieve the heating/cooling you're asking for. IMO, this is going to effect your range, and it's also going to work the HVAC system harder.

I drove non-HEPA filtered cars for 44 years... no lung cancer, no allergy attacks in cars, nothing.

So I guess you need to ask yourself if you'll be getting enough of a benefit from having HEPA filtered air in your car to warrant the potential issues having it will cause.

You can be willing to bet that if Tesla thought our cars could use a HEPA filter without causing problems, they'd make it available as an option; they wouldn't pass up an opportunity to make money.

I've never needed HEPA filtered air in a car yet. Don't see a reason to need it now, especially when my car's HVAC system wasn't designed to use a more restrictive filter. Just don't need to work it that hard for minimal (if any) benefit. The stock Model 3 air filter provides all the filtering I need. YMMV.

I agree with you, will let others experiment first. However, Tesla has been annoying with trying to actually buy the filters from the service center so wanted to consider an alternative.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
When I read the thread title I instantly thought "K&N". Old habits die hard.

K&N, yeah, K&N!

I found a service center that had the filters in stock, just replaced them with the factory filters... took like 15 minutes. That said, the average person may not have a trim removal tool and a million torx bits laying around, but if you have the right tools this job is super easy.

My opinion, FWIW...

+1, Same, Ditto, etc.... Plus, these are 3x the cost of Tesla's, and are not lab tested. Vendor uses "butt dyno-like" method to say they have been tested (in his car). YMMV

The factory cabin filters are good quality and relatively inexpensive. Will clean your air and are easy to replace.

Some, with special needs might want to go to aftermarket for potential higher filtration and smell control. People with Asthma or sensitivity to certain smells might also want to spring for the additiona $.

Amazing that Tesla has made standard their Biodefence system with huge HEPA filter on their flagship S & X.
Some competitors (German) have instead installed perfume dispensers. Cover up the problem instead of solving it:(