Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market Shadow lights for doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out something I thought I would share with those in the know and those unaware of this potential problem.

My wife got me some aftermarket shadow lights for the doors. They project the Tesla logo and text on the ground when you open up the doors. All you have to do is replace the oem lights with these (pop one out, pop one in….simple). They look great, however, I happened to notice an issue when you open up one door and then another, the one light goes out. Wasn’t sure if this was standard so I looked online. I found that this is a common issue and the reason is because the lights draw more electricity than the OEM.

This may not seem like a big deal but in my experience, sometimes things are balanced a certain way electrically and if you mess with it, bad things might happen. So reading further, I found out in the long term, this imbalance can cause issues with the safety retract on the window. In several reviews, strangely, the new lights caused the window safety to fail and the the windows break when closing the door. Who would have thought that replacing some bulbs could result in your door window breaking? Apparently, the first words from the repair technician when he showed up to fix the window was “did you happen to switch out the shadow lights to an aftermarket light?”

Anyhow, even though they look great, it wasn’t worth messing with the system so I put the original ones back in. If anyone else has had experience in this feel free to chime in.

Yes, aftermarket puddle lights have been causing issues in Teslas. There are already several threads on the subject.

You did the right thing putting the OEM puddle lights back in. If you're interested in reading more, do an advanced search, "puddle lights."

I just found out something I thought I would share with those in the know and those unaware of this potential problem.

My wife got me some aftermarket shadow lights for the doors. They project the Tesla logo and text on the ground when you open up the doors. All you have to do is replace the oem lights with these (pop one out, pop one in….simple). They look great, however, I happened to notice an issue when you open up one door and then another, the one light goes out. Wasn’t sure if this was standard so I looked online. I found that this is a common issue and the reason is because the lights draw more electricity than the OEM.

This may not seem like a big deal but in my experience, sometimes things are balanced a certain way electrically and if you mess with it, bad things might happen. So reading further, I found out in the long term, this imbalance can cause issues with the safety retract on the window. In several reviews, strangely, the new lights caused the window safety to fail and the the windows break when closing the door. Who would have thought that replacing some bulbs could result in your door window breaking? Apparently, the first words from the repair technician when he showed up to fix the window was “did you happen to switch out the shadow lights to an aftermarket light?”

Anyhow, even though they look great, it wasn’t worth messing with the system so I put the original ones back in. If anyone else has had experience in this feel free to chime in.
I had an issue with lights flickering and my door handle not retracting. I replaced one of the lights with another and since then they've been fine. They also look brilliant on these winter nights