Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

after-market TPMS. what is the real scoop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first....happy new year.....keep the good posts rolling

car – 17 MX 90D

as posted earlier, i need to get new tires . i am looking to get 2 new wheels (rims) for the rear with new AFTER-MARKET TPMS** sensors.

what i am concerned is about is the sensors....read several posts, here and at TESLARATI, a few say they work while others could not get them to work even after driving 10+ mi at 15+ mph.

so what is the real scoop....a) only certain brands work...b) depends on the car/brand combo..c) luck.

**why the fuss- i would like the buy the tesla OEM but the nearest SC is an hour away and they do not answer phones...all calls go the call center and they cannot tell me if the local SC will sell them.

thanks

I recently purchased a set of 4 TPMS sensors from TireRack. They are 433MHz sensors which sold for $57 each. TireRack even sells black sleeves for them for a couple bucks in case they're going on a set of Black Rims. They worked perfectly and automatically calibrated following installation at the local Costco. I recall them being much cheaper than OEMs and we've had no problems so far.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and BillO
I recently purchased a set of 4 TPMS sensors from TireRack. They are 433MHz sensors which sold for $57 each. TireRack even sells black sleeves for them for a couple bucks in case they're going on a set of Black Rims. They worked perfectly and automatically calibrated following installation at the local Costco. I recall them being much cheaper than OEMs and we've had no problems so far.

FWIW, 433 MHz TPMS is illegal in US. The frequency here is 315 MHz, 433 MHz is used in Europe. If they are truly operating on 433 MHz, it was an ordering mistake and they will very likely fail (433 MHz in US is used by other services with high power transmitters).

Hi DCgoo,

I think all models of Tesla have always used 433.92 MHz.
While they do occur in a CDMA bandwidth, there is an exception for the type and duration of transmission they emit...

upload_2019-1-2_20-40-54.png

The excerpt above is from the Shanghai Baolong FCC application for their (Tesla) TPMS units...

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
Hi DCgoo,

I think all models of Tesla have always used 433.92 MHz.
While they do occur in a CDMA bandwidth, there is an exception for the type and duration of transmission they emit...

View attachment 365582

The excerpt above is from the Shanghai Baolong FCC application for their (Tesla) TPMS units...

Shawn

Nope. Not in .US. 433 MHz is used mainly in Europe. 315 MHz elsewhere. TPMS Frequencies - 315 MHz vs. 433MHz - Which Do I Need?

In .US, 433 MHz is in the middle of very popular Ham Radio band of frequencies. I actually regularly transmit voice comms on 433 MHz, from my X. Trust me, TPMS is operating nowhere near 433 MHz.

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D