Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market wheels and "pockets" on the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going through the various threads on this forum researching buying some aftermarket wheels and snow tires. Referring to post#110 of this thread:
Show off your aftermarket wheels. - Page 2 (or click the link on post #2 below)

The poster writes that there is a small screwhead that protrudes from the surface of the Model S rotor that could keep a wheel from sitting flush with the rotor, leading to warped rotors. He also shows a picture where the Tesla OEM wheels have "pockets" drilled out of the back of the wheels so that the rotor head has some place to go when the wheels are bolted to the rotor.

I know nothing about wheels, but have my sights on a few sets that are in the $200- $300/each (per wheel) range. Do aftermarket wheels already have these types of pockets drilled out to prevent the problem of the wheel not sitting flush with the rotor without having to use notched out spacers or having to pay extra to have a pocket drilled out of a back of a wheel?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Countersinking that one screw a little bit more seems a heck of a lot easier than pocketing each wheel in 5 places. Or just remove the screw. It's only for holding the brake disc on in place before getting the lugs torqued down, rendering the little screw useless at that point. It's for assembly convenience only.