TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

after market wheels lug nuts, forged aluminum, steel or stainless steel?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. dark

dark Member

I just found out the model s lug nuts torque is 129 lb-ft per tesla's specs. I took my car in for other things but they checked my wheel and told me my lugs are under torque. I am using forged aluminum lugs, and torque them to 85 lb-ft, I am really worry since I don't think aluminum lugs can handle 129 lb-ft.

Some of us have expensive wheels, what lug nuts do you guys use? I am switching them back to forged stainless steel and torque them to tesla's specs.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I used the OEM stock lug nuts with my aftermarket rims and yes, they are torqued to 129 lb-ft as per Tesla specification.

3. linkster

linkster Active Member

#3 linkster, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    2 years/44,000 miles here with 21 Turbines and Ronal 20s. I do tighten the stainless Gorillas on the Ronals less than the OEM covered lugnuts since the tapered seat area is reduced. Unfortunately, I don't have any hard numbers since I never use a torque wrench/stick on lugnuts.

4. dark

dark Member

Linkster, I have tapered seat also, and I don't think that should change the specs. The 129 ft lb torque is to pre tension the studs, i am guessing electric car has high torque which is different than gasoline cars where you torque it at 70 to 85 ft lb. I just replaced all my lug nuts to high strength stainless steel and torque it to 129 ft lb.

I bought a new 1/2" torque wrench and I have to put my body weight to torque the bolts. They are tight, and if you are using a 3/8" wrench, there is no way you can torque it to 129 ft lb.