Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Market Wheels. What Do You Think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am considering to start producing two new after market wheel design that will fit all Tesla Roadsters. They will be forged one piece wheels that will weigh either the same or most likey less that the factory wheels. I would appreciate your feedback on the following questions.

1. Do you think that we should bring these to market?

2. If so how important is it to keep the factory 16" front and 17" rear sizes to work with your tires? Would you prefer larger wheels and therefore have to purchase tires? 17" all around? 17" front and 18" rear?

3. If you had to choose a style for a wheels what do you like? 5 spoke, multi spoke, BBS mesh style, chrome, machined/brushed or black?

4. What do you think a new set of forged, light weight 1-pieces should cost?

Thank you in advance for you feedback as we strive to continue bringing Tesla owners custom after market solutions.

1. I definitely would love to see these brought to market. Living in a temperate climate, I plan on having one set of wheels for summer and one for winter, leaving the appropriate tires on the wheels all the time and just swapping sets. I would just assume buy aftermarket wheels to a) give me a different look b) either save me some money and/or lighten the weight.

2. I have no preference for size. For the car, I think the current specs look great and don't really find myself wanting anything bigger. I would buy bigger if that was all that's available, but I would want to be 100% sure that my wheel/tire combo will NEVER touch the wheel well, nor affect traction control, or even the tire sensors (if that one is possible). I have heard about a bunch of the Euro people trying out new tires/wheels as they needed a winter setup (before Tesla had any recs), and there was a lot of trial and error in finding something that didn't produce these problems). Most of that was due to the tires, but I could see wheels producing the same types problems if not fully tested.

3. I am a sucker for black wheels, but I could go for black, gunmetal (graphite etc) or silver wheels if they look nice. I also like understated matte finishes far better than shiny ones. I tend to like wheels that are 5 spoke, or at least are relatively simple. I find a lot of aftermarket wheels are really busy in pattern and dislike those. I also like a lot of open space to see the brakes, and would even consider swapping out my calipers for colored ones, with the right set of wheels.

4. The cost will all depend just how light you make the wheels. I think that $2,000 a set is doable for a weight similar to the Tesla upgraded wheels, but I would consider spending $1,000-$2,000 more than that if they are super light.

acura_rodas.jpg

dsc04672yq6.jpg

5-spoke-porsche-360-forged-wheels.jpg

I'm interested. Shiny black like the stock Sport wheels. No complicated spoke pattern, open and see through like the black stock ones.

PLEASE make the fronts wider as the stock wheels SHOULD be wider to fit the sport 195 tires, and 205s would fit too. Fronts should be 16x7, not the stock 16x6 size.

Problem with 17" wheels up front is that no one makes a high performance or competition tire that is only 195 or 205 width in the 17" size. Nothing wider will fit in the wheel well. So I think we're stuck with 16" wheels for the front. There are good options in the 195 and 205 widths in the 16" size.

Leave the rears 17". Don't need lower profile than what we have back there. Again, going up to 18" makes the options for 225 or 235 width tires scarce. I have 235s in the rear now and they fit, but I don't think anything wider will fit.

Therefore, I want:

16x7 front
17x7.5 rear

Less than $2000 and as light as the stock magnesium shiny black wheels.