Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After MCU2 upgrade my 2016 S75D vampire drain seems to be non existent......?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I just got the MCU2 upgrade on my 2016 S75D last week and I noticed something interesting and very obvious. Prior to the upgrade my car was losing about 10 miles/16km per day just sitting in the garage. After the upgrade, so far in 2 days it has had zero vampire drain. The temperature this week is slightly cooler (only a couple of degrees) compared to the week prior to the upgrade, so I don't know if that is the reason why there hasn't been any vampire drain so far.

First screen shot below shows that the car was last charged on June 5th (Teslab app) and the second screenshot shows the cars current state of charge (the same as when it was charged two days ago).

Has anyone else that has done the MCU2 upgrade noticed this? It appears to be better battery management? Or is there something wrong and the car is no longer coming on to manage battery temps......

Screenshot_20220607-122648.png

Screenshot_20220607-122706.png

I have a mid-2016 AP1 MS90D which I upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 last December. I'm on international assignment and my car sits for extended periods (up to 15 weeks) without being driven. Parked inside an unheated garage I lose about 1.5 rated miles a day on average with MCU2. That is a little less than I had with MCU1 but it's not zero. This is also with the car plugged in continuously, but I will charge up to say 80%, then reduce the set point to 50% to let the SOC gradually decay over a period of a few weeks until it gets near 50% at which point I'll then recharge again.

My guess is that your charging options have changed such that with the car plugged in it is topping up on a periodic basis which you are not recognizing. I recommend as a way to test this hypothesis either:

- unplug your car, or ...
- reduce the charge set point to 50%, but while leaving the car plugged in.

I suspect if you let it sit like this for a few days you'll notice the RM gradually decay. I realize you have your car set to display %, in which case you'll need to let it sit for a much longer period to notice the decay in the charge percent. Changing to RM for this experiment will make it more apparent to you the drop in rated miles than trying to monitor in percent.

Last year when I opted for MCU 2, i was seeing some significant battery drain overnight. I couldnt figure out why that was, went through a few software updates during that time and was just thinking Tesla was fiddling with software, but when I searched here, i discovered many others with my exact build with MCU1 were also experiencing a loss in range almost immediately when the car was parked for the night. As soon as I upgraded, if I lose more than 2 miles, thats the absolute most I will lose overnight.......pretty incredible actually.

My vampire drain after MCU2 upgrade in late July has doubled in a 24-hour window, while parked:

With MCU1 = Less than 1%, unplugged (leaving it plugged was averaging 2.13%)
With MCU2 = 2% (~5 miles), plugged or unplugged

With MCU1 = Less than 1%, unplugged (leaving it plugged was averaging 2.13%)
With MCU2 = 2% (~5 miles), plugged or unplugged

No 3rd party app or web monitoring.
No Sentry Mode.
Cabin Heat Protection = OFF.
Preconditioning = OFF.
Summon = OFF.
Tesla App connectivity = Once a day.

Any thoughts or ideas why your VD was higher when plugged in? One would think the opposite.

No idea and I agree that it's counter-intuitive. But here are my findings when I was on MCU1:

On MCU2, as I mentioned the loss is the same 2% in 24 hours plugged or unplugged.

Do you turn off your AC when exiting or leave it on auto?

I do not use auto. Manual with AC off.

Reactions: aesculus
FWIW I also see a % or 2 while plugged in. Sometimes it's hard to tell because temperature changes from when you charge to when you notice it can also affect the range.

The loss is very inconsistent car by car. Some, like the OP, report no loss and some, like me, lose 2% or ~5 miles in the condition I described above. There are several threads on MCU2 VD and some believe it's a side effect of having MCU2 on pre-summer 2015 build cars due to the lack of HV pack build-in power supply and the required wiring support.

Could the mileage "Rated" vs. "Ideal" setting be affecting how each car displays the loss? The Ideal setting seems to fluxuate wildly based on driving style, settings in use, recent driving activity, etc. Rated however seems more consistent and nominal. Meaning 2 miles of Rated loss could be equal to 10 miles of "Ideal" loss.

Just guessing here....

The loss is very inconsistent car by car. Some, like the OP, report no loss and some, like me, lose 2% or ~5 miles in the condition I described above. There are several threads on MCU2 VD and some believe it's a side effect of having MCU2 on pre-summer 2015 build cars due to the lack of HV pack build-in power supply and the required wiring support.
Right after my June 2016 75D was upgraded , I had zero battery drain for a couple of weeks. Now however, I lose about 1 to 2 % every day.

My car is plugged in all the time and the limit I've set it to is 70%.

I've "moved on" and stopped stressing about it. It's all meh now to me. I have more important things to waste brain cells on 👍

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus