Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Model X, what should be our next car?

Good Model X alternative for families

• Audi Q7

• Volvo XC90 Hybrid

• BMW X7

• Mercedes Benz GLS 480 (new for 2020)

• Lincoln Navigator

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I obsessively watch car reviews on YouTube, it’s a fun past-time. I feel like I know a lot about cars in the 3-row luxury SUV segment, but haven’t test driven any.

We will be moving on from the Model X when our lease is up. Wayyyy too many service visits and now that Tesla no longer has loaners available and Uber credits don’t help when you have 3 kids in car seats, we are paying for our own rentals during warranty repairs (numerous threads on this topic). Given that the car needs a repair a few times a year, this just won’t fly. Believe me, we love the car and it’s devastating to think of going back to gas and a more traditional SUV. But, suffice to say, the Model X will not work for us anymore.

Has anyone done some cross shopping and could recommend a decent alternative based on experience? Please no judgment or nasty comments. We love Tesla and I love my Model 3. We just can’t have a car at the service center all the time that’s so unreliable...

Gonna be hard to go back to a gasser after getting used to your X.

Will be dismayed when you step on the brake and your door does not close and the car turn on.
No more falcon wing doors to make getting all those car seats installed.
Need to stop at a filthy gas station every week.
Most of the cars you mention will not always give you a free equilivent loaner when you are in for service, oil changes, tune ups, spark plug changes, brake jobs, etc.
You will once again need to take out your credit card every time you fuel up, knowing that poisonous gas is spewing out your tailpipe.
Having a vehicle that needs to shift gears hundreds of times a day.
Some Tesla service centers still provide loaner cars when when you need one. Worth checking out with your closest service center to see what their current policy is.

Biggest issue is that your current car has needed more service time than you find acceptable. Perhaps that is just a fluke, and your next Model X will be more like the rest. I have only taken in my X once in 2 1/2 years. They did a recall on a seat latch (turned out to not be an issue) replaced the cabin filters and gave me a wash. I had a loaner for the day, but they were done withing a couple hours.

Maybe an alternative is to just arrange a rental when you need one. Should not result in much of an annual cost if your car is relatively service free like most of us have experienced.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. You are going to get a tiny screen, no more autopilot, manual doors, no free fuel when traveling, that gas/oil fume smell in the garage, and going to be burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline every year.

Will be more of a step backwards than you can imagine.

Regarding that Raven thing. I just test drove one, and decided to get one as an upgrade. Much better range, more comfy seats and that new suspension is like B_U_T_T_E_R!

They have upgraded the standard color to White pearl metalflake and I can now buy a 100 long range for the price I previously paid for my 75X. All around a much better deal than before.

We will be moving on from the Model X when our lease is up. Wayyyy too many service visits and now that Tesla no longer has loaners available and Uber credits don’t help when you have 3 kids in car seats, we are paying for our own rentals during warranty repairs (numerous threads on this topic). Given that the car needs a repair a few times a year, this just won’t fly. Believe me, we love the car and it’s devastating to think of going back to gas and a more traditional SUV. But, suffice to say, the Model X will not work for us anymore.

Has anyone done some cross shopping and could recommend a decent alternative based on experience?

Audi e-tron feels really nice and spacious inside, but if your kids can't fit in one raw I would go with the MDX. I have an older MDX and it is a very reliable car (and I found that Acura service is cheaper than Honda's service) and drives and handles very well for a large gas-thirsty SUV. Also, there is an MDX hybrid now...

We love Tesla and I love my Model 3. We just can’t have a car at the service center all the time that’s so unreliable...

How is the reliability of your Model 3? Is it as bad as your Model X?

Gonna be hard to go back to a gasser after getting used to your X.

Will be dismayed when you step on the brake and your door does not close and the car turn on.
No more falcon wing doors to make getting all those car seats installed.
Need to stop at a filthy gas station every week.
Most of the cars you mention will not always give you a free equilivent loaner when you are in for service, oil changes, tune ups, spark plug changes, brake jobs, etc.
You will once again need to take out your credit card every time you fuel up, knowing that poisonous gas is spewing out your tailpipe.
Having a vehicle that needs to shift gears hundreds of times a day.
Some Tesla service centers still provide loaner cars when when you need one. Worth checking out with your closest service center to see what their current policy is.

Biggest issue is that your current car has needed more service time than you find acceptable. Perhaps that is just a fluke, and your next Model X will be more like the rest. I have only taken in my X once in 2 1/2 years. They did a recall on a seat latch (turned out to not be an issue) replaced the cabin filters and gave me a wash. I had a loaner for the day, but they were done withing a couple hours.

Maybe an alternative is to just arrange a rental when you need one. Should not result in much of an annual cost if your car is relatively service free like most of us have experienced.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. You are going to get a tiny screen, no more autopilot, manual doors, no free fuel when traveling, that gas/oil fume smell in the garage, and going to be burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline every year.

Will be more of a step backwards than you can imagine.

I 100% agree with everything you’re saying. It’ll be a step backwards for sure. I’m just really disappointed in the product after almost 2 years. It’s a lease so no option to trade it for a Raven. Not worth the risk given continued issues and degrading service.

Audi e-tron feels really nice and spacious inside, but if your kids can't fit in one raw I would go with the MDX. I have an older MDX and it is a very reliable car (and I found that Acura service is cheaper than Honda's service) and drives and handles very well for a large gas-thirsty SUV. Also, there is an MDX hybrid now...

How is the reliability of your Model 3? Is it as bad as your Model X?
LOVE my model 3. Zero issues after 6,000 miles. Great quality.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
We just came from an XC90 T8. It's nice but no comparison to the X. You *will* regret getting an ICE whenever you have to drive it.

I get where you're coming from given the experience you've had, but is it worth considering a replacement X? They're really, truly, mostly reliable. In service 'a few times per year' is not at all the norm for the X.

With three little kids, you really need the space. Maybe a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid? It is a minivan, but it's the closest to the EV driving experience you'll get, a Volt like hybrid with 33 miles of electric range and lots of room for kids.
We need AWD for mountains and snow otherwise they require chains every time you go up the pass.

We just came from an XC90 T8. It's nice but no comparison to the X. You *will* regret getting an ICE whenever you have to drive it.

I get where you're coming from given the experience you've had, but is it worth considering a replacement X? They're really, truly, mostly reliable. In service 'a few times per year' is not at all the norm for the X.
It’s not worth the risk though after 42K miles on this car it’s quite the sample size. If they would fix the service shortcomings I wouldn’t mind the regular trips to the service center. But, you can imagine dealing with no loaner options and our needs... It’s sad Tesla has let it come to this.

It's a sample size of one car. :) But my view may be clouded--my first T8 was bought back by Volvo after nearly a year of issues and nearly a dozen trips to service. And the 2nd one was virtually flawless.

To expand on the pros/cons of the XC90:

-B&W sound beats the X. Although the 3 is on par with the Volvo's B&W. I think the giant pane of glass in the X hurts accoustics somewhat.

- Raven X is far and away better in its driving experience. So smooth, instant power, etc. But you know this part. The Volvo is good for what it is--it's a 2L 4 cyl engine up front combined with a RWD electric motor and 10 kWh and change of batteries. Total 400ish HP. 0-60 is about 5.5 sec.

-Range on electric varies from 14-20 mi depending on terrain and temp. But you have to put in some work to keep it in electric mode.

-Third row is decent. I'd put it about on par with the X.

-Overall storage inside is less. No frunk, and smaller sub-floor storage in the rear. But you do get an integrated roof rack.

-Sensus display is one of the better non-Tesla ones, and you get CarPlay and Android Auto. But it's slow to start up and not as intuitive or slick as Tesla's. It won't go yellow, tho. :)

-Has Volvo's reputation for great safety.

Any other questions on the Volvo vs X, let me know.

Ughh,

I absolutely detest Tesla as a company, but I don't see any good alternatives other than to the roll the dice on a New Raven refresh of the X. They did have a bunch of service issues back when they first came out, but they mostly have them sorted out by now.

The problem is everything else is just really boring or you have to compromise space wise to fit an E-Tron.

I'd try to get Tesla to get me a Raven version of the X with a discount due to all the service issues on the old one. If that didn't work I'd probably try to get a lightly used pre-owned slush box from a boring, but reliable automotive company.

Then get a Rivian.

Reactions: Richt
Ughh,

I absolutely detest Tesla as a company, but I don't see any good alternatives other than to the roll the dice on a New Raven refresh of the X. They did have a bunch of service issues back when they first came out, but they mostly have them sorted out by now.

The problem is everything else is just really boring or you have to compromise space wise to fit an E-Tron.

I'd try to get Tesla to get me a Raven version of the X with a discount due to all the service issues on the old one. If that didn't work I'd probably try to get a lightly used pre-owned slush box from a boring, but reliable automotive company.

Then get a Rivian.

Rivian reservation has been in since the very beginning! I’ve come to detest them (Tesla) as a company, which is sad. I have 6 referrals, my wife and I were at the Model Y reveal, but I’m starting to understand the merits of the traditional dealership model. Although they make a lot of money on service, dealers are incentivized, because of competition, to provide amazing service. Tesla has no reason to provide loaners on a consistent basis, screwing over those who do have issues with their cars. We have had our Model X since 2017 and have sadly watch the company go downhill. Living in the Bay Area, I have friends who work for and have worked for the company. Oh, the horror stories! Mass exodus makes me nervous, driving on the software that I know teams who have lost dozens are building. I wish it wasn’t this way. I want nothing more than my family to be wrapped in the safety and fun of “Branch” our beloved Model X.

• Love
Reactions: jdchi and dethman
I obsessively watch car reviews on YouTube, it’s a fun past-time. I feel like I know a lot about cars in the 3-row luxury SUV segment, but haven’t test driven any.

Has anyone done some cross shopping and could recommend a decent alternative based on experience? Please no judgment or nasty comments. We love Tesla and I love my Model 3. We just can’t have a car at the service center all the time that’s so unreliable...

Lucky you, at least yours is a lease! It has great tech, but the bad build quality is killing the X. On top of this, the progressively worse service isn't helping. I am ok paying for my own rental as long as they can fix issues without creating more. If Tesla doesn't resolve all the build quality & service issues, all that needs to happen for the X to be history is the traditional ICE car companies like BMW, Marc, etc., to catch up with all the tech (and perhaps more) that the X currently offers in both their ICE as well as electric cars.

If sedan is an option, the S is still the best car that Tesla makes. If you can put up with the poor SC, why not get the S?

Last edited:
And what about the environment? You seriously don’t want to drive a gass guzzler again after an EV, right?
We do so much for the environment as a family, not the least of which is my Tesla and putting 42k gas free miles on our X. That is a huge deal for us and it may keep my wife in the X since she is the ultimate decision maker here. It’s the ONLY thing Tesla really has going for it.

Lucky you, at least yours is a lease! It has great tech, but the bad build quality is killing the X. On top of this, the progressively worse service isn't helping. I am ok paying for my own rental as long as they can fix issues without creating more. If Tesla doesn't resolve all the build quality & service issues, all that needs to happen for the X to be history is the traditional ICE car companies like BMW, Marc, etc., to catch up with all the tech (and perhaps more) that the X currently offers in both their ICE as well as electric cars.

If sedan is an option, the S is still the best car that Tesla makes. If you can put up with the poor SC, why not get the S?

I actually recently looked at selling my 3 for an S. Before the price of the S long range came down it was a little bit out of reach so I went with a $60K model 3 versus, at the time, a 100K S. But as a full-time family car it’s not practical getting 3 kids in and out of car seats (2 of them can’t buckle themselves yet) and it is a tight fit, I’ve tried it. We would also then be left with no room for the mother-in-law, which is a plus or a minus depending on who you ask ;)

I know that many owners complain loudly about service issues with their Tesla, but from what I understand, internal data shows that Tesla is consistantly reducing their warranty costs and increasing their production quality.

Individuals have their problems, and of some times people get outright lemons, but over all I understand that the quality of their vehicles are constantly improving, and they are also driving down the prices to increase their market.

After living with a Tesla for several years I cannot picture myself buying anything else.

Reactions: 365gtb4 and dlsspy