TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

After one month and 500 miles, first screen reboot

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Maximus8, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

Had a touchscreen error yesterday (first one). The error warning advised that I contact a Tesla Service Center. I went ahead and did the screen reboot and everything is back to normal. My question to long time owners is, how often do you need to reboot the screen (if ever)? Also, should I contact the service center as advised on the error warning?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes, I would contact the SvC as advised. I reboot both screens maybe once a month or every other month for various reasons.

• Like x 1
  3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

if you get a warning to call the service center, CALL THEM! I had a battery contact issue that was picked up for a moment, if I didn't call it in the fault could have caused me to get stuck on the road in need of a tow.

• Like x 2
  4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Excluding the few times it took me to figure out plugging my phone into the USB ports froze the touchscreen, I think I've rebooted the touchscreen 3 or 4 times in 3 years.

5. dano-oly

dano-oly Member

I average rebooting about once a week to restore 3G connectivity. The service center has said this may be due to the fact that there is no broadband coverage where I live.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I reboot rarely. All seems to work fine. Yes, call the 880# if recommended. They can scan the logs real time.

7. TezlaCurler

TezlaCurler Member

You've had the car a month and only driven 500 miles? Were you laid up in the hospital for the last 28 days? :)

• Funny x 1
  8. hsctiger93

hsctiger93 Member

^ Was just about to say something similar. Sorry to see the pics of your scraped beauty, TezlaCurler. Hopefully just cosmetic.

I had about 2000 miles on mine the first month, 22,000 for the first year. Since year 1 I scaled back on the extra driving. Next month will be 2 years and I'll have about 38k miles.

As to the original question, I rebooted perhaps 6 times in almost 2 years. Mostly when the Slacker doesn't want to work. I think maybe once or twice the touch screen locked up. Service Center guys gave me good perspective when I called after the first time I needed to reboot because bluetooth wouldn't connect my phone. In many ways the touch screen is like a giant smartphone. Sometimes you get too much memory in the system and it needs to clear the cache by getting shut down.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Depends on the release, but on average I reboot 6-10 times a year.