Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Purchase AP1, good idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking of adding the AP1 to my MX since I have did not buy it with it. I could really use the features like auto steer and summon because I am thinking of taking another road trip with the MX to Chicago or Vancouver. What are your thoughts. Worth 3K?
Absolutely! This is my favorite feature of the car. I have 26K miles and probably have 75%-80% on it using AP1. I use it on many road trips and even on 40-50 MPH roads around where I live. The TACC feature of looking two cars ahead is a very cool safety feature as well.

Reactions: madodel
Agreed. I've said it before: AP1 is the most capable ADAS system on the market, bar none. And whoever keeps clicking Disagree, please do reply with what you think does better, because I'd really like to know.

We can all speculate on when AP2 eclipses AP1, but if you want a relaxed driving experience both on highways and on congested or simple local roads, AP1 is still fantastic. Whether you drive long stretches of monotonous highway, have short but heavy traffic commutes, or just want to check your email at a red light stopped behind someone…. AP1 is really the best system I've tested out there, and I primarily came to Tesla because I was cross-shopping L2 ADAS systems, not because I was into electric vehicles per se.

Reactions: RollinMS
If that's the only thing you want, then sure. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than what new AP2 costs.

But if there's even an inkling of thought about upgrading to a 75kw as well, or if any part of you is considering AP2, then you might as well just make the jump. The private market right now doesn't have a lot of low end MX's for sale with the bottom to be just about $80k. If you can get $80k, you can get a new AP2 configured the same way as yours for $98,750 (w/EAP) or $91,250 after the tax rebate. That's an $11k difference compared to say a $7k 75kw upgrade + $3k AP1 upgrade on your current car.

42k miles on my MX here and I just love Autopilot 1.0 :) 80-85% of total miles is autopilot - using it in traffic or long drive... remaining 15-20% is when I want to have some fun driving :D it is still fun to drive but don't need to do it on a long boring drive or in traffic :) unfortunately in LA where I live it is real hard to find moments to enjoy driving, because of the traffic :(

42k miles on my MX here and I just love Autopilot 1.0 :) 80-85% of total miles is autopilot - using it in traffic or long drive... remaining 15-20% is when I want to have some fun driving :D it is still fun to drive but don't need to do it on a long boring drive or in traffic :) unfortunately in LA where I live it is real hard to find moments to enjoy driving, because of the traffic :(

Holy cow, 42k miles on your Model X in less than one year?!

Was thinking of adding the AP1 to my MX since I have did not buy it with it. I could really use the features like auto steer and summon because I am thinking of taking another road trip with the MX to Chicago or Vancouver. What are your thoughts. Worth 3K?

Most people here will always say just go for it and support Tesla...

What held you back initially? Why have you not done it yet, and what has changed since then? A one or two time usage here and there is convenience/luxury, not a necessity, right?

When I sold my Model S to get my Model X, the one feature I knew I couldn't live without is AutoPilot. That said, I even went with AP1 because of how refined it is (AP2 is getting better each day, though). Drove my Model X home 1,200 miles along over 2.5 days the day I picked it up --- and couldn't have done it as free of stress and enjoyably without AP. DO IT!! :) :)