Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After seeing the FSD videos, do you think it will work well on MCU1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the contrary, if FSD works flawlessly while the MCU is in a reboot loop, that would help regulatory approvals - proof that MCU failures will not affect FSD safety.
I see your point. If navigation happens in the autopilot hardware ,sure. My experience is that it restarts everything while a reboot happens. Let's see if they can demonstrate it can be safe if there is a reboot.

On the contrary, if FSD works flawlessly while the MCU is in a reboot loop, that would help regulatory approvals - proof that MCU failures will not affect FSD safety.

That's not a farfetched concept because an Autonomous Vehicle should have a redundancy system so even when one computer is broken, the other one can take over seamlessly.

...I'm thinking MCU is just the screen...

If it's just a non-touched screen then MCU and HW3 can be independent of each other but since MCU is a touchscreen so you can input HW3 parameters (enable/disable, configures some features) so there's a controlling gateway between the 2 but the main functional FSD is not at the MCU even if MCU won't be able to cope with overflowing data into visual graphics.

So in theory, HW3 FSD will drive the car fine even if MCU1 is crippled.

If it's just a non-touched screen then MCU and HW3 can be independent of each other but since MCU is a touchscreen so you can input HW3 parameters (enable/disable, configures some features) so there's a controlling gateway between the 2 but the main functional FSD is not at the MCU even if MCU won't be able to cope with overflowing data into visual graphics.

So in theory, HW3 FSD will drive the car fine even if MCU1 is crippled.

But FSD relies on Nav on autopilot it appears, which is controlled by the MCU

But FSD relies on Nav on autopilot it appears, which is controlled by the MCU

You are correct. Thanks for the reminder.

Once Autopilot/FSD has started, you can crash the MCU and the Autopilot with Auto Lane Change (by manual stalk, not automatically by Navigation) still works fine. However, that is not equivalent to FSD because it requires routing, and routing is done by MCU.

So I guess, no matter how crippled MCU1 is, the priority must be to preserve the Navigation function at all costs to fulfill the FSD function.

Let's wait until someone with the new FSD Beta does this reboot experiment and let us know whether the car continued to navigate lights, roundabouts, lane, etc with the MCU rebooting. Maybe some brave soul will even do a continuous MCU rebooting to see whether FSD is affected if MCU is constantly rebooting.
Does anyone on here know one of the beta testers that currently have the new FSD to suggest they try this & make a YouTube video about it? This is a fantastic idea to test what the car would do. Ideally this should be a beta tester with an S or X with the FSD beta since those are the cars with MCU1 and also they have 2 screens being run by the MCU.

Remember that HW3.0 does not need MCU to continue to function.

You can do an experiment right now. Drive and put on your autopilot on a known reliable freeway for an experiment (in case you need to take over). Now reboot the MCU and its instrument cluster. The Autopilot will continue to work and even brakes for obstacles without the need of a blackout MCU.

MCU is a convenience and not a must for HW3.0

This is false. According to some reports, HD Maps are being heavily used for current FSD beta, if MCU is down - GPS, Maps and other functionality supplemented by MCU is down including current speed limit.(this can be seen by rebooting MCU while driving, until the MCU comes back up, the street speed limit is missing). If MCU is down or too slow to provide all necessary inputs for FSD Computer, then MCU1 is not compatible with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
This is false. According to some reports, HD Maps are being heavily used for current FSD beta, if MCU is down - GPS, Maps and other functionality supplemented by MCU is down including current speed limit.(this can be seen by rebooting MCU while driving, until the MCU comes back up, the street speed limit is missing). If MCU is down or too slow to provide all necessary inputs for FSD Computer, then MCU1 is not compatible with FSD.

You are right. Thanks for the clarification. My mistake was corrected by @viper2ko on post #31 above.

I was wrong because I didn't think about the navigation task which is done in MCU and not HW3. In an MCU crash, Autopilot and Auto Lane Change (with a manual stalk) are intact but like you said, the routing/Navigation is non-functional without MCU.

It's still be seen what Tesla will do if MCU1 is unable to keep up with the routing task for HW3, the obvious answer should be Tesla should pay to make it happen for a pre-paid FSD even for MCU1 owners.

Come to think of it, the answer to the OP question will be come when the FSD beta rolls out to the public. Will people with MCU1+FSD get this beta release of FSD (since they paid thousands of dollars for FSD), or will Elon come up with some excuse, perhaps they are less careful or safe drivers than people with MCU2, or "it's coming soon, 3 months maybe, 6 months for sure", etc?

Last edited:
Given that my MCU1 takes forever to reroute if I miss a turn(with Dashcam plugged-in), I highly doubt that MCU1 is capable of providing real-time map data for FSD(as of now it seems that FSD beta after redesign is still heavily dependent on Maps and GPS), which means FSD is dependent on MCU very much. Any additional latency in tasks performed by MCU to support decision making for FSD computer is not going to be possible from MCU1 imho. More details here.

Until the MCU is purely used for "optionally" rendering what it sees, a fast MCU is deemed a necessity for FSD. Looks like Tesla cannot do FSD without a decent MCU(GPS, Nav, Maps, Speed limit, etc., is still heavily relied from MCU computations for current FSD design), we might get a free MCU2 upgrade after all(atleast we have a case for the lawsuit)

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1320052226069594112