Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After seeing the FSD videos, do you think it will work well on MCU1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Fsd needs cameras and mcu1 doesn’t get cam feeds. Smdh!! I’m really surprised there’s no class action yet. Especially with hw3 computer causing mcu issues. Several people have said they had mcu1 issues since having the hw3 computer installed. No emmc replacement fixes this. Surprised the Nhtsa ain’t on this one. More complaints needed.

We ain’t getting fsd on mcu1. I wish!!
Like others here : All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video? I was experiencing choppy video and super laggy/unresponsive MCU1 after the HW3 upgrade. As I saw BETA FSD rollout, it became apparent, there was no way BETA FSD would work with the HW3/MCU1 configuration. I opted to upgrade to MCU2 after the price drop. At a minimum, I viewed it as a means to take advantage of the FSD functionality I had paid for nearly 4 years ago. Since getting MCU2 - the user experience is much better. Voice commands, dash cam, and software upgrades are big benefits. Moreover, I was fortunate to be part of the recent BETA FSD rollout in Canada. While not perfect, BETA FSD is definitely a big improvement over the existing AP implementation. It sucks that we have to pay for MCU2 upgrade, but if you can afford it - its not worth waiting it out and losing out on basic/new functionality. That said, I do wish everyone in this situation all the best - as you were all early adopters and supporters of Tesla before it became mainstream.

Like others here : All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video? I was experiencing choppy video and super laggy/unresponsive MCU1 after the HW3 upgrade. As I saw BETA FSD rollout, it became apparent, there was no way BETA FSD would work with the HW3/MCU1 configuration. I opted to upgrade to MCU2 after the price drop. At a minimum, I viewed it as a means to take advantage of the FSD functionality I had paid for nearly 4 years ago. Since getting MCU2 - the user experience is much better. Voice commands, dash cam, and software upgrades are big benefits. Moreover, I was fortunate to be part of the recent BETA FSD rollout in Canada. While not perfect, BETA FSD is definitely a big improvement over the existing AP implementation. It sucks that we have to pay for MCU2 upgrade, but if you can afford it - its not worth waiting it out and losing out on basic/new functionality. That said, I do wish everyone in this situation all the best - as you were all early adopters and supporters of Tesla before it became mainstream.
What year/model do you have that you had MCU1 but now have MCU2 & FSD Beta?

Been hearing fsd still needs a lot improvement, but it is getting better. So I’m in less of a rush. The issue ain’t even about the money honestly. It’s the principle. I’ll probably break like everyone else and get the upgrade. But still wanna see some more left turn improvements and see it improve getting into the right lane before making turns. These are the two biggest complaints. On a positive note. I also hear it’s doing much better in major cities.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Been hearing fsd still needs a lot improvement, but it is getting better. So I’m in less of a rush. The issue ain’t even about the money honestly. It’s the principle. I’ll probably break like everyone else and get the upgrade. But still wanna see some more left turn improvements and see it improve getting into the right lane before making turns. These are the two biggest complaints. On a positive note. I also hear it’s doing much better in major cities.
FSD. It’s the a big Fraud.

What year/model do you have that you had MCU1 but now have MCU2 & FSD Beta?
Hi there. I have a 2017 Model S 90D. Original configuration was MCU1 + HW2.5. Because I had purchased FSD, I received HW3.0 upgrade. In my opinion, this configuration was a step backwards, as basic functionality like dashcam, voice command, and streaming music became crippled. I am now currently with MCU2 + HW3.0, and everything works as it should.

With regards to FSD Beta, is it worth it? I guess it depends on your expectations. Much like AP, you learn to use it, and understand its strengths and weaknesses - and over time it becomes a tool you end up using in your daily commute. It's not perfect, but I'd say 6/10 drives, I can get from point A to point B without any disengagements. Sometimes, I disengage because it runs more aggressive than how I would normally drive. That said, it is important to keep the hands on the wheel, as the wheel CAN still jerk from time to time. Overall, I'm satisfied with what it offers - and it's a noticeable improvement over the current AP people are running. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Hi there. I have a 2017 Model S 90D. Original configuration was MCU1 + HW2.5. Because I had purchased FSD, I received HW3.0 upgrade. In my opinion, this configuration was a step backwards, as basic functionality like dashcam, voice command, and streaming music became crippled. I am now currently with MCU2 + HW3.0, and everything works as it should.

With regards to FSD Beta, is it worth it? I guess it depends on your expectations. Much like AP, you learn to use it, and understand its strengths and weaknesses - and over time it becomes a tool you end up using in your daily commute. It's not perfect, but I'd say 6/10 drives, I can get from point A to point B without any disengagements. Sometimes, I disengage because it runs more aggressive than how I would normally drive. That said, it is important to keep the hands on the wheel, as the wheel CAN still jerk from time to time. Overall, I'm satisfied with what it offers - and it's a noticeable improvement over the current AP people are running. This is definitely a step in the right direction.
Did you get your cameras upgraded? Or was your Model S built late enough in 2017 to have RCCB cameras but it still had MCU1?

Nope...I don't expect they'll ever upgrade MCU1 cams. Not until there's a class action to upgrade everyone to MCU2 for free.
Announcement is still there.. Full Self-Driving Computer Installations I dont expect them to upgrade free MCU2, however this looks more and more likely (Frustrate enough owners to pony up more $) for a inferior (Vision only) FSD which I did not buy..

Reactions: dbldwn02
Announcement is still there.. Full Self-Driving Computer Installations I dont expect them to upgrade free MCU2, however this looks more and more likely (Frustrate enough owners to pony up more $) for a inferior (Vision only) FSD which I did not buy..
I like how it still says we get Dashcam recording with the FSD computer upgrade. Ha! I can't even read plate numbers on this choppy video.