Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Service, Firmware reset to 2021.40.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I brought my M3 in for some outstanding issues that needed to be fixed before my 50k mile warranty expired. It was at the shop for several days. Today it is ready and it looks like for whatever reason, the firmware was reset to 2021.40.6. Looks like this is from before the v11 update, right? And if so, I could ignore updates (it wants to go right to 2022.8.2) until Tesla fixes all the horrors of v11. Am I correct that essentially all I will lose is the multi-stop navigation feature? Otherwise I will happily be back on the far more sane v10? Any thoughts on what I should do?

And any thoughts on *why* my firmware was downgraded? Does that mean they replaced the entire computer? I was having somewhat regular audio cut-outs and clicking sounds. My understanding is that they were going to replace a subwoofer wire. Maybe they got in there and saw much bigger problems? Odd that my firmware went back 6 months, right?

Just looked at the invoice, they did indeed replace the entire computer. Would be great if I got the new computer. I have a 2019 M3 with Full Self Driving (Intel Atom model? I can't remember.) Is it possible I got the 2022 computer version out of this whole thing?

EDIT: Anyone know what this screenshot from my Tesla app means, exactly? Maybe I will not be able to stay on this firmware after all.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you weren’t FSD Beta prior to the computer change. I’ve read a case or two about people being Beta, getting the computer change, downgraded SW and then having to re-apply to FSD Beta via the Safety Score all over again. Which is a tough position to be in because there haven’t been any new US adds since the new year from what I’ve heard. Let us know how you fare. Good luck.

Ski

Plus you get the old UI back. Maybe?

I'm on 21.44.6 and I have multi stop nav, but no re-ordering.

You won't have the slappin' sub (woofer) EQ easter egg. lol.

literally the only thing in v11 I'm interested in.

I would not (and have not) update.

Just looked at the invoice, they did indeed replace the entire computer. Would be great if I got the new computer. I have a 2019 M3 with Full Self Driving (Intel Atom model? I can't remember.) Is it possible I got the 2022 computer version out of this whole thing?

EDIT: Anyone know what this screenshot from my Tesla app means, exactly? Maybe I will not be able to stay on this firmware after all.View attachment 788884
Probably just related to the impending shutdown of 3G. You will probably be fine, at least for a while (the rest of us on older firmware still are fine, despite the popup in the car a while ago saying we had to update immediately). The AT&T 3G shutdown has not really happened yet though, so we still have to see how the cars work on 'LTE only' and what functions are actually impacted. See if you have connectivity in the car for now, and if so just enjoy winning the firmware lottery as long as you can.

Picked up my M3. Same computer as before with the intel Atom. Old firmware working fine with cellular. I did lose ALL my settings. 100% factory defaults. Lost my nav favorites, music favorites, etc. Oh, well. I have to say though: version 10 is a huge upgrade!

Reactions: Skione65
Probably just related to the impending shutdown of 3G. You will probably be fine, at least for a while (the rest of us on older firmware still are fine, despite the popup in the car a while ago saying we had to update immediately). The AT&T 3G shutdown has not really happened yet though, so we still have to see how the cars work on 'LTE only' and what functions are actually impacted. See if you have connectivity in the car for now, and if so just enjoy winning the firmware lottery as long as you can.
Don’t think so, because that wouldn’t impact any Model 3.

Don’t think so, because that wouldn’t impact any Model 3.
No, it still does since the 3/Y have been using both 3G and LTE. There may be issues with some functions not working properly once the 3G is actually turned off since 3G appears to be the default pathway for some things, even though we all also have LTE. Some are more knowledgeable about this issue, but there is also a lot of speculation out there.

EDIT: Anyone know what this screenshot from my Tesla app means, exactly? Maybe I will not be able to stay on this firmware after all
Picked up my M3. Same computer as before with the intel Atom. Old firmware working fine with cellular. I did lose ALL my settings. 100% factory defaults. Lost my nav favorites, music favorites, etc. Oh, well. I have to say though: version 10 is a huge upgrade!
That’s one way to get V10 back! I’m sure many are envious! Enjoy.

Ski

You know, I’m really considering doing the v11 update. Two really big things are missing: multi-destination nav and side camera views on reverse and when switching lanes. It’s a conundrum because I do hate v11. But with spring here the seat heater controls have a good 6 months to be “fixed” and I’m just not sure I want to sit on this old version. Also not loving the damn nags I get to upgrade.

What would you guys do?

I have not updated in over a year, so I am biased :) You might want to check (by pulling up the reverse+side camera view) if you have the light leak issue in the side cameras from the turn signals. If so, it might make the side view cameras a little less useful. Also, don't assume the seat heater/defrost/defog controls will ever be 'fixed'. I hope they are, but suspect they will not be (because Elon).

You know, I’m really considering doing the v11 update. Two really big things are missing: multi-destination nav and side camera views on reverse and when switching lanes. It’s a conundrum because I do hate v11. But with spring here the seat heater controls have a good 6 months to be “fixed” and I’m just not sure I want to sit on this old version. Also not loving the damn nags I get to upgrade.

What would you guys do?
A few things to consider. The side camera views for blind spot lane changes to me are helpful. I like them. There’s a slight delay for them to come up and if I’m lane changing ”quickly” I’m almost half in the lane before they come up….otherwise useful. During the day again useful. At night….meh….I have a 2018 P3D+ and so have the light leakage issue through the 3 pinholes and get the top 1/3 to almost half of the pic “blown out” and not useable by the pinkish red glare at each blinker flash. Ymmv. There’s a hack fix available on YouTube or it’s a $400 fix I believe by mobile to retrofit the new part numbers to alleviate the issue. It’s still useable with the bottom half of the viewer pic but annoying at night. Re: side camera views during reverse for me are GOLDEN backing out of my garage.
I detest the rest of the update due to the loss of everything else: tire pressure card, tire pressures etc. mileage , trip records hid under multiple menu selections and multiple button pushes…hvac, heat seaters I could go on. You’ve read them all. It’s a tough choice. Pros versus cons. Good luck.

Ski

You know, I’m really considering doing the v11 update. Two really big things are missing: multi-destination nav and side camera views on reverse ...

I believe you should have side camera views on reverse. Just swipe up or click on the ^.

I am curious though, what issues did you have that required them to completely swap the management computer?

I believe you should have side camera views on reverse. Just swipe up or click on the ^.

I am curious though, what issues did you have that required them to completely swap the management computer?
I had the audio clicking problem in the infotainment system. First they told me they were just swapping out some “subwoofer cable.” But they ended up replacing the whole computer, with no mention of a cable. Unfortunately it didn’t even solve the problem!

Is it so difficult for the “service technician “ to reinstall your favorites or am I expecting too much?