Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After software upgrade, the button on the charging plug no longer disconnects from the port??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys..

Weird one here but I noticed after my software update (2017.40.1e29b97f) I noticed that in my garage when I try to remove the charging adapter, I used to be able to push the bottom on the charger connected to the port, the light would turn to white and unlock and I could remove the plug.

Now, I push the button and it alternates from blue and it turns green to charge again. The only way I can remove the plug is manually via the key fob or inside the car on the screen.

Anyone have this issue or am I just dumb?

Are you ‘pushing’ the button or holding the button? And we assume the car is unlocked. Both these things need to happen. You need to hold the button down until it turns white and nothing works unless unlocked. If all that is true, and it doesn’t work, weird. No problems here on 17.40 and 17.42 over the last week.

Even when it's not in a charging cycle, I find that just a press and release of the button almost never works (on my car at least), so I gave up on that years ago. It always seems to want to re-lock onto the cable again as soon as I let go of the button. So I can't emphasize enough to press and HOLD the button to pull the cable out. That should always work.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Thanks guys. For the last 7 months I've owned the car I've casually walked up in the morning, one push of the button and i hear the car click on, I get a white light and the lock disengages.

Weird that now I have to hold the button but I'm totally ok with that. Easy fix.

Just an update.. pushing or even holding the button on the charger does not give me a white light to remove. I have to use the key fob and release it from there. I can't do it via the charger
I think the information is not clear here. It sounds like you're trying to do this while the car is still locked, which it obviously can't do and won't give you the white light. You do still have to unlock the car first, no matter what method you're trying to do. Once you have that done, then pressing the button on the charger handle should give the white light on the charge port. I've never heard pressing the charger handle button not giving the white light if the car is unlocked. Well, unless the button is physically broken. It's a part of the J1772 standard specification that pressing the button on the handle has to send the interrupt signal and disconnect everything.

I think the information is not clear here. It sounds like you're trying to do this while the car is still locked, which it obviously can't do and won't give you the white light. You do still have to unlock the car first, no matter what method you're trying to do. Once you have that done, then pressing the button on the charger handle should give the white light on the charge port. I've never heard pressing the charger handle button not giving the white light if the car is unlocked. Well, unless the button is physically broken. It's a part of the J1772 standard specification that pressing the button on the handle has to send the interrupt signal and disconnect everything.

You know what... I just changed the settings to "lock when walk away". So maybe when I'm walking in the garage in the morning I'm jumping right for the charger with they keys in my pocket and "auto present handles" is turned off.

So the car is still "locked" which is why I can't disconnect. Son of a gun.

I'll turn off that feature or at least unlock the car before I unplug!

Thanks!