Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the M3 Reveal, Who Regrets Their Recent Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem very anti - model S buddy! Your basically saying your never buy a 5 series with some extra features over a 3 series because you don't see value in it. Ok great. Whatever works for you :) There are those that would never buy an M3 even though gas range better than base MS, value for $ one is getting a similar drive, not as peppy but good enough for most. Than why do folks still buy an MS? Everyone's known about M3 base pricing for some time now and yet still people buy the S. Obviously cost benefit would suggest it's a foolish purchase. Yest still they buy them. Why? Because it's a lifestyle choice and likely those buyers see value in the larger body, style, brand, features, aesthetics, utility, part of an smaller group of owners etc. Likewise merc S owners see value in their purchase as would an merc E class owner over a C, 5 series over a 3 etc etc.

Does Model S need to be refreshed in many ways to differentiate and bring it up a notch to that 5/Ecaas level? Agreed yes to remain competitive. The notion that model 3 buyers can't afford an S may not be the case all the time but most likely one of the main factors or else M3 buyers would have bought the MS by now. It's not settling it's called budgeting and seeing value in what one can afford. Simple :)
I'm definitely not anti model S. I am however, anti all the "I can't believe they are not telling you guys the pack size," "most model 3 owners will be apartment dwellers, so they'll clog up our superchargers," "model 3 will never have any features that the S doesn't (battery and interior refuted that)," "how will less sophisticated model 3 owners deal with $150 per hour mechanic charges," the list goes on and on. I'm sure others make more, but my wife and I make 270k/year combined, we own our home in the East Bay, have zero debt other than our home payment which is only somewhat elevated because we refied into a 15 year, a year and a half ago, after buying at the bottom of the market in 2008. People, and again, like I said in my previous reply to your post, "not specifically you," but get annoyed that people assume because we are buying a model 3 that we can't afford a model S and are settling. If you put the 2WD, long range model 3, loaded with autopilot and full autonomy for the $60,700, and put the S70 with it's current interior, also loaded, and you could get either one in the 1-2 months that Elon said you can have a new model S, you would pay the additional $52,150 for handles that presented and a auto lift gate and 2 seconds faster (because Tesla purposely holding it back right now)? I don't think that anywhere near half of current model S owners would.

That is not a true comparison. It is like saying the Toyota Corolla / Camry got released with a new design and who regret buying a Lexus LS 350.....

They are totally two different class and price point. The features will never be identical or close as they will mess up sales for each other. They each target a specific audience.

If the question was Tesla revised the Model S with a whole new design, who regret buying it recently...sound more like a comparison.

That was my view too but I'm so glad I didn't listen to my usually fiscally conservative self and save the money. After all, we can't take it with us. So I said: screw it --- I'm spending a part of my kids' inheritance on a product and company that will hopefully make for a better future for them. And it has improved my quality of life so much for the past 3.5 years now that even missing out on AP didn't cause me any regrets since I had such a great summer of 2014 with the vehicle and my family before AP was released in Sept of 2014. I've only got about 25 summers left (knock wood) and I can't get any of the past ones back, so waiting for a Model 3 when you can afford a Model S seems foolish to me. But to each their own.
I did not know basically anything about Tesla before the first unveil of the model 3, then I fell in love. I am still driving my 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS as I have had zero issues with it. It's just time to upgrade. I was not very "green conscious before," but since the unveil of the model 3, I did a self install 6.12 kW home solar system on my home from gogreensolar.com which covers more than my usage/year. With 2 months to go before having the system for a full year and running my AC a ton more than ever before, I still have produce 1900 more kWh than we have used. I have free charging at work and so basically will have zero cost to drive my new car when I get it in February-April. Very excited.

Reactions: Canuck
I'm definitely not anti model S. I am however, anti all the "I can't believe they are not telling you guys the pack size," "most model 3 owners will be apartment dwellers, so they'll clog up our superchargers," "model 3 will never have any features that the S doesn't (battery and interior refuted that)," "how will less sophisticated model 3 owners deal with $150 per hour mechanic charges," the list goes on and on. I'm sure others make more, but my wife and I make 270k/year combined, we own our home in the East Bay, have zero debt other than our home payment which is only somewhat elevated because we refied into a 15 year, a year and a half ago, after buying at the bottom of the market in 2008. People, and again, like I said in my previous reply to your post, "not specifically you," but get annoyed that people assume because we are buying a model 3 that we can't afford a model S and are settling. If you put the 2WD, long range model 3, loaded with autopilot and full autonomy for the $60,700, and put the S70 with it's current interior, also loaded, and you could get either one in the 1-2 months that Elon said you can have a new model S, you would pay the additional $52,150 for handles that presented and a auto lift gate and 2 seconds faster (because Tesla purposely holding it back right now)? I don't think that anywhere near half of current model S owners would.

Funny thing is people pay $60,000 more for a P100D at 2.28 sec vs a 75D at 5.2 (now 4.3). Same features, identical exterior and interior. Defies conventional logic buddy...but P100D's couldn't be produced fast enough. I'm only saying what may make common sense for one person may not hold as the same logic for others who value other things in their automobile...the extra acceleration in this example.

I'm sure there are those in lesser positions than you who have purchased a model S (albeit tightly so lol) but have made it their lifestyle choice :) In the end you seem to have made the rational choice for your situation :)

Either way, every S and 3 owner has something unique and special. Congrats on choosing either...we are all part of a unique transitionary movement to a better world. What a unique time to be alive :)

Last edited:

@JSkrethot I agree that there are too many individuals that are stating things about the Model 3 and Model S that makes it come off with this "My car is better than yours" or "You wasted your money purchasing a Model S and not waiting for a Model 3". I detailed my opinion in my Post "Excited About the Model 3 But Happy I Did Not Wait". Long story short is that we really need to stop doing this. we are all Tesla Fans and whether we purchased a Model S in 2012, yesterday or chose to wait for a Model 3 we need to be congratulating each other. We all want the same thing (Get rid of ICE cars, Stick it to the oil companies, and have fun while we're doing it :)). There is no reason to put anyone down for which Tesla they chose. I am happy the Model 3 is here but still really love my Model S. Granted I would not have purchased the Model S if I did not have such a long commute (2500+ miles per month per car) and would have probably waiting for the Model 3. But to be honest if I was really close to my job (within 5 miles) I may not have purchased a model 3 either. Maybe I would have leased an Audi A6 for $400 a month. BTW I was a little confused by your numbers I have a Model S 75D which cost me $80K OTD after tax credit. It's nicely loaded (just missing upgraded Stereo) and I get 245 miles (real world) but you stated it would be an additional $52K for a 70D? I estimated that it would be @ $20K difference between an AWD Model 3 (I added $5K for the addition of AWD) and a Model S 75D. I'm just asking for clarity. ;)

Funny thing is people pay $60,000 more for a P100D at 2.28 sec vs a 75D at 5.2 (now 4.3). Same features, identical exterior and interior. Defies conventional logic buddy...but P100D's couldn't be produced fast enough. I'm only saying what may make common sense for one person may not hold the same logic for others who value that extra acceleration in this example.

I'm are there are those in lesser positions than you who have purchased a model S (albeit tightly so lol) but have made it their lifestyle choice :) In the end you seem to have made the rational choice for your situation :)

Either way, every S and 3 owner has something unique and special. Congrats on choosing either!

No regrets. Plus only $60K more for a P100D over a 75D is bargain. It saves me from purchasing an M5 and a Nissan Leaf for commuting. Plus I don't need to commute in a leaf (no offense leafs).

Reactions: EinSV
@JSkrethot I agree that there are too many individuals that are stating things about the Model 3 and Model S that makes it come off with this "My car is better than yours" or "You wasted your money purchasing a Model S and not waiting for a Model 3". I detailed my opinion in my Post "Excited About the Model 3 But Happy I Did Not Wait". Long story short is that we really need to stop doing this. we are all Tesla Fans and whether we purchased a Model S in 2012, yesterday or chose to wait for a Model 3 we need to be congratulating each other. We all want the same thing (Get rid of ICE cars, Stick it to the oil companies, and have fun while we're doing it :)). There is no reason to put anyone down for which Tesla they chose. I am happy the Model 3 is here but still really love my Model S. Granted I would not have purchased the Model S if I did not have such a long commute (2500+ miles per month per car) and would have probably waiting for the Model 3. But to be honest if I was really close to my job (within 5 miles) I may not have purchased a model 3 either. Maybe I would have leased an Audi A6 for $400 a month. BTW I was a little confused by your numbers I have a Model S 75D which cost me $80K OTD after tax credit. It's nicely loaded (just missing upgraded Stereo) and I get 245 miles (real world) but you stated it would be an additional $52K for a 70D? I estimated that it would be @ $20K difference between an AWD Model 3 (I added $5K for the addition of AWD) and a Model S 75D. I'm just asking for clarity. ;)
Exactly.. no regrets! :) and congrats to soon to be model 3 owners too! And maybe some of us model S owner will also get model 3..

This is a 75 RWD, with premium options and autopilot. It's a lot more than 20k more. True though, to each their own with their cars and choices.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 8.51.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 8.51.34 PM.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
It's nice -- and you can get it now to boot!

Maybe it's difficult to understand when you've never driven a Tesla as your daily commute, and when an extra $50k doesn't really make much of a difference because you're going to die with a lot more in the bank, and your kids will be fine with what you leave them. Plus, you get to tell yourself you're buying it for your kids' benefit.

So your point, despite being repeatedly made, just doesn't work with some of us.

But I sure am looking forward to get a Model 3 when it finally arrives!
just posted that since he asked about the pricing numbers I used

No regret at all. Mainly the aesthetics reason. But Model 3 is darn good for the money.

1. Exterior Appearance (Model S & X wins)
I know this is subjective but IMHO the Exterior appearance of Model S & X is a league above Model 3. I like the refreshed front fascia with "T" symbol suspended than the symbol stuck on "classic" Model S and Model 3. I like the more sleek design of Model S and the grandeur size and force of Model X. Just based on look, people can have bias that Model 3 looks cheap.

2. Interior (Model S & X wins)
I like the simple minimalist design but I think the Model 3 went too far. Sure, I can get used to it not seeing the front display but they could have at least put small speedometer screen.

3. Range (TIE)
Sure, the range of Model 3 was surprisingly high 310 miles, but I don't know if it is EPA numbers. With Dual Motors, it may rival Model S but I think Model S will surpass the current benchmark by next year fall.

4. Performance (TIE)
Also the performance of Model 3 is really good. I don't know why so many people are complaining and disappointing for 5.1 and 5.6s. The RWD Model 3 75 is still faster than my S75D. Waiting for Model 3 P75D to go under 3.9 seconds, and I am sold. I say TIE because Model 3 can get good performance for fractional cost of Model S.

5. Options (Model S & X wins)
More options better it is for customers. Model 3

6. Space (Model S & X wins)
Definitely larger and roomy looking than Model 3.

Model S and Model X are wonderful cars. So many people around me love my Model S and X and when I asked them why they didn't get them they say the price is too much. I asked then why they didn't reserve Model 3 and most people I interacted said they didn't like the design or looks cheap.

I am looking forward to getting Model 3 as well.

My 2 cents.

It took four years for the S to be a car reliable enough to purchase. Frankly the X still isn't there yet. I can't believe people want the first 3's off the line.
This is just absolutely incorrect. While X was indeed troubled, my 2012 P85 was one of first 2000 cars and has been a rock for 4.5 years now. And Tesla has been proactive about service and updates. I have dozens of friends and acquaintances with 12,13, and 14 cars. I hear no remorse. I've got zero trepidation about early 3. Somehow there's become a myth that early S cars are to be avoided, and it is totally unwarranted.

Some days I ask myself if I'm being irresponsible and stupid by driving such an expensive car. That is the only time I second guess my model s purchase. Oh that, and when I see repair stories.

As far as Model 3, nice car, but S is superior, and by the time 3 is order off the shelf commonplace, I would have enjoyed EV driving for 4 years. Would I trade those 4 years? Probably not.

Reactions: calisnow
Hard not to wonder if I made the wrong decision. I guess I won't really know until the test drive.
While I'm 90% likely going to buy one of the first Model 3's I don't regret my Model S purchases at all. The S is gorgeous now and forever - the 3 is simply, not. The S, being heavier with a longer wheelbase and air suspension - will ride better. For most of my driving I prefer the luxury ride. Horses for courses - S and 3 are different. BMW 3 series gives you 80% of the functionality of a 750, etc. It is what it is.