Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the M3 Reveal, Who Regrets Their Recent Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No regrets.....

I had a Porsche 911 a few years back, then they released the Cayman. I went through the same thing as I am now (i.e. should I, shouldn't I). However, it was always referred to as the 'poor man's Porsche' and never has the exclusivity as the 911.

My point is........the Model S will always be deemed to be the prestigious model........you never know, in the future, the M3 might get branded the 'poor man's Tesla'.
The Model 3 is already the poor man's Tesla lol. It's a fabulous car but its mission is to serve the masses.

Ya know, buying an EV in 2017 is like buying a laptop computer in 2003 or so. You know a better (meaning cheaper and more capable) model will appear soon. That's because many parts of EV tech are on a plunging price curve.

Tesla was smart for making their early models (Roadster, S, X) into high-end vehicles. It will keep us from getting too annoyed when the 3 and subsequent models eclipse what we have now.

Funny thing is people pay $60,000 more for a P100D at 2.28 sec vs a 75D at 5.2 (now 4.3). Same features, identical exterior and interior. Defies conventional logic buddy...but P100D's couldn't be produced fast enough. I'm only saying what may make common sense for one person may not hold as the same logic for others who value other things in their automobile...the extra acceleration in this example.

Having owned an 85D before my P100DL, I can say that my Tesla grin is much bigger every time I hit the go pedal, especially at higher speeds. I've got my own personal roller coaster :)

Reactions: calisnow and EinSV
Relative to Model 3:
Model S will always be the safer model.
Model S will always be the quicker model.

I think there's a high percentage of S buyers for which one or both of the above is the deciding factor.

For my family, what Tesla has done with the 3 is to put a new Tesla sedan (3) and a new Tesla SUV (X) within reach.
I plan to sell my beloved '13 S and lease an X within months of my Model 3 purchase.
I look for the 3-X combo to start cannibalizing S sales. Not a bad situation for Tesla by any means.

Model 3 obviously has the next-generation everything:

- Next-gen interior (S/X are IMO expected to get similar later)

- Next-gen battery (S/X expected to get later - 2170 cell, details kept unknown IMO because likely to surpass current Model S/X base levels in some ways)

- Next-gen Autopilot 2.5 with new CPU/GPU unit and interior camera in Model 3 (unknown when/how Model S/X might get these)

- Reportedly faster CPU in Model 3 for its big screen

- New motor in Model 3

- Interior in Model 3 with coat hooks, vanity lights, pockets not available in Model S

So while there are spec differences, Model 3 is next-gen and Model S/X currently misses some of these things due to a generational difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Model S M.D.
IMG_1582.JPG
No Ragrets! The model 3 is a pretty awesome car. I am excited for the future EV M3 owners and excited to have more tesla's on the road! I look forward to see them in the wild and to ride in one. The Tech looks impressive, my hat is off to tesla! But still no ragrets on having a model S!

The following remark: "Yeah, 'cause it works so much better when nobody buys the early production vehicles"

You're saying that we have a duty to purchase early production vehicles to "make it work better" for Tesla. I feel nothing of the sort, and recommend based on experiences with the S and the X to avoid the 3 for a couple years.
I wouldn't use the word "duty", or "obligation". Do you disagree that somebody has to buy the earliest production vehicles? If so, please explain how you expect to buy a later unit. This seems basically like an ethical issue: if everyone followed your advice, would the world be a better place? Or does it only work when a select few follow that advice? In practice, obviously most people aren't going to be buying the first units, but it only seems decent for those who buy the later ones to show a little appreciation (rather than derision) for those who do.

Hi all, first post.

Just placed an order for a Model S 75D after holding a Model 3 reservation since day 1. After reviewing the Model 3 specs and price, coupled with the recent improvements to the 75 performance I decided that the S was a better fit.

First of all let me say I was biased towards the S to begin, but wanted to see the final design, performance and price of the 3 before making a decision. Definitely wanted dual motors and while range isn't a huge issue, 220 miles for the small battery 3 might be a little thin for my comfort, so big battery as well. That all in mind, I was looking at a close to full optioned Model 3 with a price running real close to or perhaps more than $65,000. For this model I was looking at a 4Q 2018 delivery at best...meaning the tax credit would be reduced or possibly gone.

Our pretty stock 75D (only option is enhanced AP) is at slightly under $80,000 out the door (with referral discount). Subtract the full $7,500 tax credit and the final cost for the S is about $72,000. Has adequate range for us, free supercharging, great performance after the recent upgrade and more standard features. Looking at a total of around $10,000 more for the S, depending on exactly how the tax credits would work out. Certainly not an insignificant amount, but affordable for us.

I really wanted to like the 3, and I think it will be a great car, but I'm just not sold on it yet. Exterior looks good, although I prefer the look of the S. That is certainly subjective. I'm not sold on the interior. I understand I am getting older and I may have a bit of a traditional mindset. The new generation may love the minimalist look, but its just not for me (although I would like to sit in one and see if my view may change). I do know that I have rented a few cars with center instrument clusters and I absolutely hated them. That was a near deal breaker for me. i was hoping for something more at the final reveal that never came. The range is better on the big battery 3, but our driving consists of almost exclusively local/regional driving. The occasional road trip we do is well covered by superchargers. On paper the 3 battery wins hands down, and the conventional wisdom is that you can never have enough range, but realistically for our situation 259 miles is just fine.

Finally after mulling over the number a few days, my wife (probably tired of hearing me talk Teslas for days on end) pulled out the "you only live once, get what you want" card...and she has a point. If I waited to get the 3, I would forever be comparing it to the S I could have had for just a little more. If there were features of the 3 that absolutely blew me away I would have waited. But as of now I am excited to have a car that I know I will enjoy. We usually only keep cars 2-3 years, so worst case If in a few years the 3 turns out to be a clear better option then I can still end up in one, just maybe a year later than planned.

Long story longer, I decidedly do not regret my recent Model S purchase.

but it only seems decent for those who buy the later ones to show a little appreciation (rather than derision) for those who do.

As an early-adopter type of person in general (with Tesla that being harder as I'm not based in California/U.S.) I don't think early adopters needs thanks, what I personally would hope is they are informed and willing after being informed.

That's all there is to it IMO. Early-adopting is a fair deal when nobody is misled nor pressured into something they don't want. If a product by a company is good and interesting, it will find early-adopters under these circumstances.

What those people get in return for an often excessive (compared to later) investment/less bang for buck, is something they value - being on that edge... So they get what they pay for, just like any other customer.

If someone is suckered into being an early adopter, I guess they and/or the company doing the "suckering" deserve some negative thoughts.

I was driving a B class Mercedes before the S. I wanted an electric vehicle because I was sick and tired of supporting Middle eastern tyrants. Gas in Australia was also sky high- $1.50 per litre at the time.
I wanted a small but luxury car ( which was why I was in the Merc). My kids have left the nest. Got the S as the only option available. It was too big for me and took nearly 3 months to get used to, BUT now I am a total electric convert. It is the best car I have ever driven ( with some flaws, it is true), it totally fulfills my original motivation but has added many more. Would I have got the 3 if available at the time? Only if it had evolved to have luxury options. I will probably get one for the wife since she only uses it to get to the shops and back and, eventually, I hope, to ferry grandkids about. Need a safe car for that.
I too think the screen on the 3looks stupid- just stuck on there hanging in space. Does not look integrated. By 2019 Wah is when we expect to see the car here in Australia, I am hoping it will have evolved.

Hi all, first post.

Just placed an order for a Model S 75D after holding a Model 3 reservation since day 1. After reviewing the Model 3 specs and price, coupled with the recent improvements to the 75 performance I decided that the S was a better fit.

First of all let me say I was biased towards the S to begin, but wanted to see the final design, performance and price of the 3 before making a decision. Definitely wanted dual motors and while range isn't a huge issue, 220 miles for the small battery 3 might be a little thin for my comfort, so big battery as well. That all in mind, I was looking at a close to full optioned Model 3 with a price running real close to or perhaps more than $65,000. For this model I was looking at a 4Q 2018 delivery at best...meaning the tax credit would be reduced or possibly gone.

Our pretty stock 75D (only option is enhanced AP) is at slightly under $80,000 out the door (with referral discount). Subtract the full $7,500 tax credit and the final cost for the S is about $72,000. Has adequate range for us, free supercharging, great performance after the recent upgrade and more standard features. Looking at a total of around $10,000 more for the S, depending on exactly how the tax credits would work out. Certainly not an insignificant amount, but affordable for us.

I really wanted to like the 3, and I think it will be a great car, but I'm just not sold on it yet. Exterior looks good, although I prefer the look of the S. That is certainly subjective. I'm not sold on the interior. I understand I am getting older and I may have a bit of a traditional mindset. The new generation may love the minimalist look, but its just not for me (although I would like to sit in one and see if my view may change). I do know that I have rented a few cars with center instrument clusters and I absolutely hated them. That was a near deal breaker for me. i was hoping for something more at the final reveal that never came. The range is better on the big battery 3, but our driving consists of almost exclusively local/regional driving. The occasional road trip we do is well covered by superchargers. On paper the 3 battery wins hands down, and the conventional wisdom is that you can never have enough range, but realistically for our situation 259 miles is just fine.

Finally after mulling over the number a few days, my wife (probably tired of hearing me talk Teslas for days on end) pulled out the "you only live once, get what you want" card...and she has a point. If I waited to get the 3, I would forever be comparing it to the S I could have had for just a little more. If there were features of the 3 that absolutely blew me away I would have waited. But as of now I am excited to have a car that I know I will enjoy. We usually only keep cars 2-3 years, so worst case If in a few years the 3 turns out to be a clear better option then I can still end up in one, just maybe a year later than planned.

Long story longer, I decidedly do not regret my recent Model S purchase.

Exactly what happened with me :).

For me though the difference is 55K Model 3 vs 80K model S 75D with federal tax credit for both. I have an early reservation, so should get it soon enough. Hard to spend 25K more but bigger, safer is how I am rationalizing it.

No regrets at all, especially as right-hand drive markets won't see the 3 until 2019.
I've got a friend who's been waiting for the 3 for a year, now realizes he's got another 2 years to wait. My S will be 3 years old by then, and I don't know if I could part with the lovely thing even then.