Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the M3 Reveal, Who Regrets Their Recent Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to hear from Model S owners who buy Model 3 and compare comfort, ride and quiet. Is the A/C and heat adequate at front and rear seats in extreme weather? Consumer Reports will have their test results to check. I am not ready to downgrade unless the Model 3 is more fun to drive and comfort, ride and quiet are enjoyable.

Waiting for my Model S to be delivered next month. I don't regret it at all - really glad I changed my mind and went for the S. The Model 3 is disappointing in many ways, especially the interior. I really thought the steering controls were going to be amazing after Elon's comment but it's barely changed from the initial prototype. It's still a great car - but for me it's a second car rather than the S which can handle all of our family stuff. The continued secrecy over things like pack size would have driven me mad by now!
Pack size matters how? Please explain. We know the ranges, 220 and 310. Unless you bought a S100D, you have less mileage. From all of the videos of test drives after the final unveil, the Model 3 interior is > the Model S interior. I expect the S and X will get a complete interior makeover. I am not sure, but I speculate that the S and X will get the same battery cells that are going into the 3, allowing for even further range than their current max of 335. By all reviews, the interior seems the same size wise as the S, little less cargo capacity, no option for rear facing child seats (kids grow out of them anyways). I have not yet driven a 3, I have driven a SP90D (45 min test drive, AMAZING car), but the only real difference I see is how fast you can get to 60 miles per hour and free supercharging? That is not worth double the price for me. I can afford a S, I just refuse to spend that much money on a car. I do however, acknowledge those who bought the Roadster, S, and X, making the 3 possible for Tesla. I do get tired of people who insinuate that the Model 3 is a huge step down or something. Again from the videos from the unveil, these are current Model S and X owners that were invited, all say that the interior is SUPERIOR to the S and X. Hence, I expect a full interior upgrade to bring it to the level of the 3, leaving only speed from 0-60, range (310 is plenty and I expect can go more, that is why not telling battery size), and little more cargo room. To each their own, but not worth DOUBLE the price for me. Model 3, 2WD, long range battery, premium upgrade package, 19" sport wheels, pearl white, autopilot, charge for shipping even though I live 45 min from factory and will pick up there is $57,700. $47,700 after federal and state rebates (possibly more if proposed California EV incentive is passed). 2WD S75 that goes 61 miles less per charge, with the same options, minus the better Model 3 interior, costs $108,850. Especially after the Y comes out, these things are SO NICE, Tesla is going to have to have DOUBLE the range or make the S and X fly to keep selling them at the same rate. I'm sure new things for Tesla like a HUD or something awesome will come to the S and X to help differentiate beside the DELIBERATE SOFTWARE LIMITING OF THE MODEL 3 SO FAR (expect future OTA updates to make faster as well once the S and X have new battery technology), but lets stop the propaganda that a Model 3 owner is settling or is only getting one because they can't afford a S (not you specifically, but in general, it's all over these threads).

Last edited:
I would have bought the S75D again. Having a family, the S functions as a fantastic primary car whereas a 3 is great for commuting. These were the benefits that have made it useful for us over the 3.
  • Fits 3 car seats in the back. We have a 8, 6, and 4 year old. If the kids are not with us, we can store the car seats in the trunk, if needed.
  • Cargo space for traveling with the family, hauling large cargo, and Costco/Home Depot runs. Great for trips such as Disneyland to carry double strollers and the travel luggage.
  • Dual Motors for rain and snow.
  • Safety of being in a larger car.
  • Overall comforts such as powered liftgate (so convenient!), retractable door handles, automated charging port, and sunroof.
With the introduction of the 3, it definitely allows us to go all electric. The 3 would be a commuter car while the larger S or X for family.

Last edited:
Some of us bought Model S to pay it forward so that our grandkids can have affordable EVs in their future..
Twenty years from now dialog between grandpa and grandkid: Grandkid: Grandpa, my wife and I are struggling to get a decent downpayment for a house. Any chance you could contribute? Grandpa: Sorry, but that Tesla I bought back in 2017 was purchased so you could afford an EV someday and that 60 large pretty much tapped out my grandkids fund. Grandkid: Gee, thanks for your generosity, Grandpa.

• Funny
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
No regrets on S vs 3... Should've seen the config changes coming in order to distinguish S from 3 a little: would've loved air suspension.

That irritation aside, can't wait until 2019 for right-hand drive variants - I want my electric cruisebeast right now, please! (I think it's stuck at a dock in Houston at the moment...)

I would have bought the S75D again. Having a family, the S functions as a fantastic primary car whereas a 3 is great for commuting. These were the benefits that have made it useful for us over the 3.
  • Fits 3 car seats in the back. We have a 8, 6, and 4 year old. If the kids are not with us, we can store the car seats in the trunk, if needed.
  • Cargo space for traveling with the family, hauling large cargo, and Costco/Home Depot runs. Great for trips such as Disneyland to carry double strollers and the travel luggage.
  • Dual Motors for rain and snow.
  • Safety of being in a larger car.
  • Overall comforts such as powered liftgate (so convenient!), retractable door handles, automated charging port, and sunroof.
With the introduction of the 3, it definitely allows us to go all electric. The 3 would be a commuter car while the larger S or X for family.
You don't actually need 3 car seats, my children are 9, 6, and 3, when they are 8 they are not required to be in a car seat, your 6 year old and 4 year old can both be in booster seats and those easily fit in a 3 or ANY car. Sorry, but you are not carrying 5 people, a double stroller and luggage for 5, I've seen the cargo area in the S in person, impressive but I even put a cargo carrier on the back of our 14' GMC Acadia as double strollers take up way too much room and can't fit the remaining luggage for 5. Dual Motors is an option on the 3. Elon showed you the safety of the 3, will be on par with the S. Liftgate, nothing to write home about, retractable door handles, really????, automated charging port (already shown to be able to open and close this on the 3 with photo of Model 3 screen options. Sunroof, probably will be avail too. Interior space is same basically, little more cargo but not getting a double stroller and luggage for 5 in either.

I got my MS in Dec. '16. The last car was off lease so I needed something. There are a few (minor) features I like better in the M3. Door pockets, lighted vanity mirror, deep pocket storage area (under arm rest), more USB connections. The interior I really like is the Lucid Air. But that may never be available.

The one thing I don't like is the lack of a instrument cluster. However, for the price difference, I might learn to live with it.

I wonder how the M3 will impact the MS sales next year.

No regrets here. I like the smaller size of Model 3 and I LOVE the Model 3 interior (call me crazy but I dig the modern minimal aesthetic), but I really love the practicality and hatchback of Model S. It does everything I want a car to do, so I'm actually adding a second Model S to join my Model S 75D and Roadster V1.5. Delivery is sometime "soon." You know how it goes... :)

I was probably one of the last people to finalize a Model S purchase (mine locked on July 28th) before the reveal and I don't have any regrets.

Yes, the Model 3 is a nice car. I expected as much. But it isn't as nice looking at the S, it doesn't have some of the S features. And I really dislike the Dash/Infotainment setup in it. Every modern manufacturer has a car that "near" their luxury model. Mercedes has their C/E/S class distinctions. I feel like the S is still value added.

I am a bit concerned about what it'll do to the resale value on the MS 75s, but I still think it'll be fine.

edit: Granted, I'm getting the full tax credit. I wouldn't have on a 3, as I'd have bought it long after the credit was gone and more than a year later. Maybe I'd feel differently without that? I don't know.

It took four years for the S to be a car reliable enough to purchase.

What do you base this comment on? I got mine new in early 2014 and it's been rock solid and the best vehicle by far that I have ever purchased. Plus, 98% of Tesla owners "would buy again" which blows away all other automakers, and most by a long shot. If what you say is even remotely true, that number would be not be anywhere near to 98%:

Consumer Reports: Tesla Model S Rated #1 In Customer Satisfaction

So I say you just pulled your comment out of your you know where.

As to the original question -- my only regret is that I didn't buy earlier. I'm looking forward to adding a Model 3 to replace our Leaf but I know that no matter how good it is, my classic, large frunk, 80 amp chargers, Model S will always hold a special place in my heart, even if I drive it less once there's also a 3 in the driveway.

I can afford a S, I just refuse to spend that much money on a car.

That was my view too but I'm so glad I didn't listen to my usually fiscally conservative self and save the money. After all, we can't take it with us. So I said: screw it --- I'm spending a part of my kids' inheritance on a product and company that will hopefully make for a better future for them. And it has improved my quality of life so much for the past 3.5 years now that even missing out on AP didn't cause me any regrets since I had such a great summer of 2014 with the vehicle and my family before AP was released in Sept of 2014. I've only got about 25 summers left (knock wood) and I can't get any of the past ones back, so waiting for a Model 3 when you can afford a Model S seems foolish to me. But to each their own.

Pack size matters how? Please explain. We know the ranges, 220 and 310. Unless you bought a S100D, you have less mileage. From all of the videos of test drives after the final unveil, the Model 3 interior is > the Model S interior. I expect the S and X will get a complete interior makeover. I am not sure, but I speculate that the S and X will get the same battery cells that are going into the 3, allowing for even further range than their current max of 335. By all reviews, the interior seems the same size wise as the S, little less cargo capacity, no option for rear facing child seats (kids grow out of them anyways). I have not yet driven a 3, I have driven a SP90D (45 min test drive, AMAZING car), but the only real difference I see is how fast you can get to 60 miles per hour and free supercharging? That is not worth double the price for me. I can afford a S, I just refuse to spend that much money on a car. I do however, acknowledge those who bought the Roadster, S, and X, making the 3 possible for Tesla. I do get tired of people who insinuate that the Model 3 is a huge step down or something. Again from the videos from the unveil, these are current Model S and X owners that were invited, all say that the interior is SUPERIOR to the S and X. Hence, I expect a full interior upgrade to bring it to the level of the 3, leaving only speed from 0-60, range (310 is plenty and I expect can go more, that is why not telling battery size), and little more cargo room. To each their own, but not worth DOUBLE the price for me. Model 3, 2WD, long range battery, premium upgrade package, 19" sport wheels, pearl white, autopilot, charge for shipping even though I live 45 min from factory and will pick up there is $57,700. $47,700 after federal and state rebates (possibly more if proposed California EV incentive is passed). 2WD S75 that goes 61 miles less per charge, with the same options, minus the better Model 3 interior, costs $108,850. Especially after the Y comes out, these things are SO NICE, Tesla is going to have to have DOUBLE the range or make the S and X fly to keep selling them at the same rate. I'm sure new things for Tesla like a HUD or something awesome will come to the S and X to help differentiate beside the DELIBERATE SOFTWARE LIMITING OF THE MODEL 3 SO FAR (expect future OTA updates to make faster as well once the S and X have new battery technology), but lets stop the propaganda that a Model 3 owner is settling or is only getting one because they can't afford a S (not you specifically, but in general, it's all over these threads).

You seem very anti - model S buddy! Your basically saying your never buy a 5 series with some extra features over a 3 series because you don't see value in it. Ok great. Whatever works for you :) There are those that would never buy an M3 even though gas range better than base MS, value for $ one is getting a similar drive, not as peppy but good enough for most. Than why do folks still buy an MS? Everyone's known about M3 base pricing for some time now and yet still people buy the S. Obviously cost benefit would suggest it's a foolish purchase. Yest still they buy them. Why? Because it's a lifestyle choice and likely those buyers see value in the larger body, style, brand, features, aesthetics, utility, part of an smaller group of owners etc. Likewise merc S owners see value in their purchase as would an merc E class owner over a C, 5 series over a 3 etc etc.

Does Model S need to be refreshed in many ways to differentiate and bring it up a notch to that 5/Ecaas level? Agreed yes to remain competitive. The notion that model 3 buyers can't afford an S may not be the case all the time but most likely one of the main factors or else M3 buyers would have bought the MS by now. It's not settling it's called budgeting and seeing value in what one can afford. Simple :)

so glad I didn't listen to my usually fiscally conservative self and save the money. After all, we can't take it with us.
Same here! Had a friend that saved and saved and then in his mid 40's just had a heart attack and that was that.

Convinced my wife we just do it! and got a great deal from a member on here. Love the bigger S and even though we still have a res for the 3 that will be going away for either a X for just get the 1k back.

The classic S is timeless! ;)

Reactions: Canuck