Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the power is 0, how many KM you can keep driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[FONT=&#24494]Many new Tesla owners in China worries so much for the mileage range, Yesterday my [/FONT][FONT=&#24494]Model S p85[/FONT][FONT=&#24494] the mileage shows 68KM, the destination supercharge is in 52KM, [/FONT]
[FONT=&#24494]i prepared to call rescue car, wow so luckily i am safe to the destination.[/FONT][FONT=&#24494] [/FONT][FONT=&#24494][/FONT]
[FONT=&#24494]And one of my friend told me that, his Tesla run 20KM after his power is 0. [/FONT][FONT=&#24494][/FONT]
[FONT=&#24494]How about you? Who would be the boldest one?[/FONT][FONT=&#24494][/FONT]
[FONT=&#24494]Have you experienced 0 power while there is no supercharge station nearby?[/FONT][FONT=&#24494][/FONT]

After the rated range is zero, some people have been able to drive over 30 km. However, in other cases the car has stopped right after zero. In some rare cases, the S has shut down with with a few (1-5) km of rated range displayed on the dashboard.

In order to have the best chance to drive the most km in such a situation, it is good to drive slower.

Driving slower can have a huge impact. I believe I read 40 MPH is the most efficient speed for the Model S. That's not specific, so don't hang me, but doing 70 MPH or 80 uphill will, without question impact range.

I've pulled into my driveway with as low as 17 miles remaining before.

Always remember that weather, terrain, road surface etc can easily affect range by a few miles (or a lot of miles). Having a couple of miles on the display could quickly turn into true zero, and shutdown, if you were driving uphill and/or in wind and rain.

I think the best way to look at it is to consider that the battery doesn't store miles. Instead, Tesla likely shuts it down when it reaches a certain voltage. The "miles remaining" display is a GUESS at when that voltage will be reached. As Nigel noted, there are many factors that affect when that voltage is actually reached.

Of course Tesla's guess is conservative to keep cars from shutting down before 0 in most cases (I remember hearing of one case where it did shut down shortly before 0). This also means that you can often keep driving somewhat past 0. But you absolutely can not count on it; Tesla does not tuck away a bundle of miles to pull out later. The voltage could drop at any time.

As RiverBrick stated, you can improve your chances by driving slowly. (From Tesla's speed vs range charts, I recall 18mph being the optimum speed, though that assumes HVAC is off. From my rough calculations, with HVAC on high it's probably more like 45mph). Not only is there less aero drag, but the lower the power draw on the battery, the more energy you can typically extract before the voltage drops.

Last edited:
First of all you have to understand that after reaching zero range there is a certain amount of energy (kWh) still available for driving.
I think under normal conditions ( warm battery ! ) there is about 3,5 kWh available after reaching zero range.
Possibly under NOT normal circumstances (i.e. cold battery of very warm battery) there will be less energy available.
The distance that can be driven with this remaining energy depends on your speed and on road and weather conditions.
The slower you drive, the more economical you drive and the more KM's you can get from the remaining energy.
If you drive uphill you will get less KM's than when you drive downhill.
Typical on flat roads driving not faster than 70KM/H you could get as far as 20 KM.

A very important indicator you have to monitor closely when you reach ZERO range is the power indicator.
The yellow dotted line indicates the amount of max. power available.
Under normal conditions you should have 160kW power available when reaching ZERO range.
If you continue to drive the max. available power will decrease to about 20 kW, just a couple of KM's before there will be a FULL SHUTDOWN of the car.
IF when reaching ZERO range you have less that 160kW power available, think of this as a WARNING that you might not have the full 3,5 kWh available.

This is me continuing to drive 22,7KM after reaching ZERO range: Accu tot op de bodem leegrijden
In this video the driver goes on at the point where I stopped my experiment: Dumbass depletes his Tesla battery - YouTube

Hope this information helps.

I think the best way to look at it is to consider that the battery doesn't store miles. Instead, Tesla likely shuts it down when it reaches a certain voltage. The "miles remaining" display is a GUESS at when that voltage will be reached. As Nigel noted, there are many factors that affect when that voltage is actually reached.

When the car is at or near the trigger voltage there should be very little uncertainty. If 1 rated mile is displayed there should be absolutely no way that the voltage has dropped below the threshold.

Because it's based on power not distance, I'd treat 15 km as zero. Running on the last three "electrons" is no better than running on the last 3 ml of fuel in an ICE.

Fine, then I'd rather they just display battery voltage when it gets down to a certain point. That way there wouldn't be any "guesses" "calculations" or two ways around it. 0 should mean 0 just as much as 1 means 1

That's not how things work…
Even with ICE, it is quite difficult to accurately know when the car will stop. Due to liability issues, ICE cars who shows the remaining range either understate it (so that it'll show '0' while you still have some margin) or stop displaying it altogether when it gets low (say, under 50km.)