TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

After trying to add in my Model X, AAA -doubled- my car insurance premium.

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by MXWing, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

From 2000 a year to 4000 a year. No points, no claims for 15+ years.

They think I'm going to drag race from stop light to stop light?

Is there a "go to" insurance company for Tesla drivers that consistently have the best rates? I can bring along home and multi car as well.

Thanks

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Do you have a P? My 90D really did not got up much at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

When I got quotes, the Costco insurance company was the cheapest (Ameriprise). But not by much. Teslas are expensive in CA especially if you are putting mileage on it as your daily driver . And if its a P, I found that added to the costs as well.

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Holy crap. I've got USAA and I went from $650/year for a 2007 Honda Civic to $1000/year with a Model S 70D.

5. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

My premium went down when I took off a Chevy Blazer and added the 2014 Tesla Model S.
    (Nationwide ins.; Home and Multi-Car)

6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Model X 60D

Barebones.. but I suspect there is probably not a huge difference between a 60D and P100D. I get the feeling that 'Tesla anything' is a huge premium no matter what battery pack or trim.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Insurance premiums go up as the vehicle value increases and repair costs increase. This should not be a surprise.

8. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Looks like insurance companies are getting more Tesla repair cost history data and adjusting accordingly.

• Informative x 1
  9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

This ↑↑↑

10. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

That's just how AAA is with Tesla. They were very up front with me that their premium for Tesla is very expensive and not competitive. As an example, our MX replaced my BMW M3 (fairly similar in value), and the premium would have doubled had I stayed with them. Which is why we switched to Wawanesa.

11. Norfolk Enchants

Yep, this is my assumption too. Which, BTW is completely believable after I had my rr qtr replaced at a cost of around $35K. I had expected much less of a bill for my insurance company.

Can't wait to see my premium next year...

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

In SoFla I went from a 2004 Jaguar XK-8 Convertible to a 2014 P85D. The new price of the Tesla was about 50% higher than the Jaguar. No accidents, no violations, FL Safe Driver, but 69 years old when I bought the Tesla. Spouse also clean record but younger than me.

My insurance covers remained exactly the same. My price from Progressive went down by about 30%.

FWIW, a young driver in an old car hit me in an intersection soon after I bought my Tesla. Progressive was superb and quickly established 100% culpability to the other driver and my rates did not charge. FWIW, there was minimal damage to my car other than to my protective film, but teh other car had quite a dent in a door.

Progressive, BTW, seemed to know and like Tesla. When making the changeover I ended out needed to talk with an agent who said, "you'll love your car, all our other owners seem to. I want one, but cannot afford it".
    I haven't compared other insurers for several years.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Our P85D is about the same cost(about $1000) as our Prius and quite a bit less than our 2007 Lexus SC430. All of them with AAA in California.(CSAA)

14. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Progressive gave me a great deal on insurance for a Model S P90DL -- I recommend giving them a call.

Also, when I looked around a few months ago rates varied by more than 2X so I would recommend contacting 4-5 insurers for quotes.

This thread has some good leads/info ....

Insurance On Model S?

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

That is great for you but does not make any sense. I'm not saying call them to have them raise the rates but I would make sure your mileage/coverage is accurate.

Don't want to find yourself with liability only or something that puts you at extreme risk.

16. Blissedout

Blissedout Member

Geico was better in CT than AAA or Progressive (for me).

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

I guess I should have mentioned that the coverage is a $million in liability.