Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what time has passed would you consider an FSD class action lawsuit?

When would you consider initiating/joining a class action lawsuit for Tesla failure to deliver FSD?

• Already enquiring with/engaging legal services

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • End of 2021

Votes: 101 22.8%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 80 18.1%
  • 2023 - 2025

Votes: 48 10.8%
  • 2025 - 2030

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • After 2030

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Never

Votes: 140 31.6%
  • Other - see comments

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've bought a Tesla Model 3 with FSD about 3 years ago. Once the car is 5 years old, I'll sue Tesla in a small-claims court for the full sum of the FSD pre-order plus 2% interest per year.

As an alternative, I might consider FSD transfer to a new purchase.

I hope you got some deep pcoketd. Tesla has a legal team just hanging out waiting to deal with pawns like you. You’ll have to pay your lawyer by the hour. How long can they drag out the case and is that long enough to bleed you out of enough money you give up?

Reactions: rxlawdude
I don't agree with that in regards to the fsd purchase, especially since we're talking about a class action lawsuit. Statements made during Autonomy Day or elsewhere could simply be Tesla's aspirations, not what you've bought. I don't think what you're saying would be legal justification ("I thought Tesla was selling me a robotaxi, but it didn't say that on my purchase documents").
That’s the issue in question - are Tesla bound by statements outside of signed contracts, because they induce action to sign said contract?
Tesla (Musk) have made public statements outside of signed contracts on FSD, robotaxis & L5, both verbally & in print

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I hope you got some deep pcoketd. Tesla has a legal team just hanging out waiting to deal with pawns like you. You’ll have to pay your lawyer by the hour. How long can they drag out the case and is that long enough to bleed you out of enough money you give up?
I don’t think the litigants in Anderson, et al. v. Pacific Gas & Electric over hexavalent chromium poisoning, handled by Erin Brokovich, had deep pockets either

I suspect those of us original buyers of FSD prior to all the language updates might have a case, although there are enough caveats about regulations, etc that Tesla may have an out. It’s not as clear cut as the 691 hp class action IMHO.

For historical purposes, here is what the FSD Model 3 and S order page said in December 2017. Don’t even get me started on the whole you must buy FSD to get all 8 cameras bit. Still bitter about that one.

0DFD2650-8858-4B77-949D-F735F6E9ECC9.jpeg

EB78D1BB-04BE-43EE-9887-BD2F4111A4D1.jpeg

It doesn’t have to be a class action suite. If recent action of NLRB is any indication, all you need is enough people file complaints with FTC or CFPB for feds to open an investigation into it. Once feds get involved, little guys can possibly have a recourse.

I suspect those of us original buyers of FSD prior to all the language updates might have a case, although there are enough caveats about regulations, etc that Tesla may have an out. It’s not as clear cut as the 691 hp class action IMHO.

For historical purposes, here is what the FSD Model 3 and S order page said in December 2017. Don’t even get me started on the whole you must buy FSD to get all 8 cameras bit. Still bitter about that one.

View attachment 648946
View attachment 648947
so basically they have no case unless Tesla stops working on FSD since in all cases it clearly states all features are subject to “extensive software validation” and “it is impossible to know exactly when each element will be available”

so basically they have no case unless Tesla stops working on FSD since in all cases it clearly states all features are subject to “extensive software validation” and “it is impossible to know exactly when each element will be available”

I suspect what will eventually happen is Tesla will upgrade the hardware on new cars and stop working on “FSD” for the AP2/3 cars. Maybe once AP 4 comes out in a year or so. Which is when we get to start arguing about what Tesla did deliver and if it met the advertisements.

I am just glad they finally delivered SOMETHING on the FSD branch. We went for years with zero differentiation between EAP and FSD and zero idea when a FSD exclusive feature would be released. Plus I got the computer upgrade, so I consider that to be worth the $3k paid. However, there are folks who bought into the hype in the infamous 2016 video, and even those who bought FSD on their leased cars. Those people may decide to go after Tesla in some form or another.

I suspect what will eventually happen is Tesla will upgrade the hardware on new cars and stop working on “FSD” for the AP2/3 cars. Maybe once AP 4 comes out in a year or so. Which is when we get to start arguing about what Tesla did deliver and if it met the advertisements.

why would they admit to “stopping working” on ap2 and 3 cars and put liability on them... They just need to have one guy work on FSD for those cars until the batteries in the cars crap out...

View attachment 648946
View attachment 648947
Hence it becomes an issue of additional verbal statements & tweets by Tesla (Musk). Since Tesla has canned it’s PR department, Tesla has predominantly used Musk’s tweets & verbal statements to disseminate information.
The question becomes how legally bound is Tesla by ALL said tweets & verbal statements, particularly when the company is aware that its customers utilise social & electronic media to be informed.
As for time limits for FSD, I strongly doubt a judge would accept its open ended until, say, the year 3769 to complete.
I believe the ‘reasonable person’ test comes into play, commonly used in deciding cases of law

Reactions: Matias
Essentially many of us paid several thousand dollars for lane change assist.
IMO - none of the other FSD features are mature enough to use safely.
But most of us weren't blind going in. We were gambling on long odds and lost.

The part that disappoints me more, is the bugginess of the NOA. It can make some terrifying decisions. Phantom Braking on Steroids is bad enough, but changing lanes like a road rager will get somebody killed eventually. Mine will change lanes to the right into the path of car who is moving at a very high speed delta. I've never let it do that, but it wants to.

I will be happy to join a class action lawsuit for failure to deliver L5 FSD, the day after the first Nuclear Fusion power-generation plant comes online to help me charge the Tesla.

I'm enthused about both, I think both will get here someday. But I think you know which one has been 'coming soon' for a lot longer...
A false equivalence as a private company has not entered into multiple contracts